INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

That's what makes this game interesting.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The edge normally is recognizing weakness. The seasoned player can hide his emotions as a less experienced player doesn't even know it's used against them. Luck is very important in winning. They say you can't win a tournament without winning a few flips. That's gambling in a nut shell. Skill gets you in the money. Luck wins the tourney. You have to have both. Yes Phil h is a very lucky guy. But he reads people even better. Reason he's not phenomenon online. Just like most live players.

Online is a beast. Luck is more involved.

Here is my observation:

Losing players believe in luck and blame it for their losses.

Winning players are beyond "luck." They understand how to play the edges and allow the results to be what they are.

P.S. Good players also don't "hide" emotions, they are beyond emotional swings from poker hands. ;)

gigantbil

gigantbil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a game of chance because huge sums of money are lost every year

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker can be a gambling game, a strategy game, or a statistical one. It all depends how you play it. For exemple, I decide to play going all in without looking my hand, every 2 hands. It's litterally gambling. I may get people folding, or calling. When they call, I'll more likely gonna lose, as they do have a good hand, and I'm less likely going to have that.
The other option is to do that everyhand and then look what is the result after 100 000 and decide the % of winning going all in.
An other one would be just to play poker, as skilled as it should be, and make decisions from knowledge and thinking.

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This comparison is so far off base. Poker def. involves some luck but in the end if you don't play well, you will lose.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Th big gamee

during the tournament some winning pairs come before the flop the player plays all of them all in pre flop the villains run this was not luck but the hero forced the villains to run they run because they have bad cards the villain skill has already been put in match

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is Gambling. Chess is not. Therefore in Poker Luck plays a big amount on one’s success. If you are dealt AA, KK over & over there is little strategy. We see WSOP poker champions like Jamey Gold win one year & nothing after. When analyzing his hands he made hand after hand by luck.. there was little skill. So Poker is gambling-Luck plays a big part. Chess is skill, little to no luck involved

Poker is gambling with odds aiding you!
You win = Skill
You lose = Variance

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is gambling with odds aiding you!
You win = Skill
You lose = Variance

Great words! :D I also think that if I went into the prizes, then this is my skill, which I have developed over the years. But if I did not enter the prizes, then this is simply because I was unlucky.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great words! :D I also think that if I went into the prizes, then this is my skill, which I have developed over the years. But if I did not enter the prizes, then this is simply because I was unlucky.

Sure, indeed! This mindset makes me play poker at a light and easy way.

Jwl8092

Jwl8092

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is but lets say you are a really good pool/golf/etc player and you wager money on it... that is gambling too but there is definitely a skill advantage.

JW

I

ICU1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is but lets say you are a really good pool/golf/etc player and you wager money on it... that is gambling too but there is definitely a skill advantage.

JW
You control the ball movement. You don't control the cards. Unless your online ;)

Nothing that has the word random in it is a sport. By definition. The skill comes in identifying if your beat or not. Watch experienced players. They don't chase as much or nearly as far as new players. That's experience. Watch the pros play the pros. Crazy how little tells they make decisions. Watch Daniel play Phil this weekend. Daniel flop straight. Phil turned higher straight. Betting bargan. Experienced saved Daniel. 90% would of pushed it all.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is partly a game of chance, but the luck factor can be reduced with knowledge :icon_stud and good situation analysis skills (of course, if you don't cheat on the :puke:poker room and the software :icon_pira ... ha ha...)
:rolleyes:

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, in the short term I agree with you, and without a doubt between these two chess/poker luck is more present in poker, however there are players with solid long term results in poker.

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For some it is but for others it is just a game of cards like crazy 8's or go fish,now one could say or even argue that any game with a prize value is gambling i say each to his/her own opinion.;)

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not gambling. Gambling is a style of playing poker, and a losing one at that.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, there is excitement in poker, but also a lot of mathematics, and in the end, you yourself decide what action to do in the hand, so poker is still more of an intellectual game

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to look at poker as a skilled based game. Over the long term the more skilled players should perform better than the less skilled players.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that if a poker player reacts to the situation at the gaming table, then he is in a passion.

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im allin pizza after that

pokerace_1

pokerace_1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Luck plays a big amount on one’s success.

if you took 4 guys and dealt the cards with No Betting they would win about 25% of the time each.
Once betting is allowed there are opportunities to make all kinds of mathematical mistakes that puts one of the players as clearly better.
That's not such a hard concept even for the mathematically challenged.
Keep on trolling non believers.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that poker is a sport. Luck alone is not enough to become a successful player. Poker skills and experience play a very important role and in the long run skills and experience are more important than luck.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Negreanu once said, poker is about strategy and knowing how to bluff...

ObiwanJ

ObiwanJ

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe poker is primarily a odds based strategy game where bluffing is the gamble. If you employ good strategy you'll be able to afford the bluffs which can propel you further in the game or knock you down fast kinda like a game of snakes and ladders.

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
poker is the most gambling game in the world. That's why I can't tear myself away from him in any way

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling