Is Poker Gambling?

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it is hard to say, it can be gambling, cure, relaxation, stress relief... Gambling if you loose a lot of your income and is affecting your social habbits Cure if it helps you to sharpen memory and mathematical skills Relaxation if it helps you to turn off the brain Stress relief if it helps you to get rid off of negative energy..

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker is a game that includes gambling , you put money on the line and sb loses , sb wins , but is a mental game as well that is based on skill and mathematical backround and these skills required are more important and prevail on the long run if used wisely and in the right way .
That's why some players , not few , have a lot of earnings from poker games , multi millions of $$$ like Phil Iphy , cause they know the ''demarcation line'' between gambling and mathematical statistical based playing game way based on rules and game theory .
Or they might not know all about theory , but the more knowledge they have , the lbest decisions the'll make , the less downswings the're gonna face , the more money the'll win :) .
The simple gamblers ? All their money are burned money or whatever they call them ,allways fish , even if they have some winnings on the short time term based on the factor luck .
So just ambling ?? I wouldnt say so , especially on a tournament :)

D

ds276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that any action as a result of which it is possible to win (or to lose) a certain quantity of money needs to be classified as hazardous. In certain cases, even games and various disputes of interest can also be regarded as hazardous occupation. Poker - unambiguously gambling

I

iFishForFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is one of the more complex forms of gambling, but nonetheless gambling: the decision making, reading of opponents, pattern analysis, odd calculation is the skill portion, but luck is still involved so unless you play home games and take turns dealing and you stack the deck, yeah poker is a form of gambling.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course its gambling because you are risking money by playing it, even in freerolls you are spending time to win money so unless there is no money involved it will be consider gambling not just in poker but in any other skill or luck game aswell.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, poker is gambling.

Many of those with the audacity to impose their morals on others love to lump poker in with lotteries and bingo and any other gambling horror story they have ever heard.

Despite the randomness of which cards get dealt to which players, good players have an advantage in the long-run through a better understanding of how the game works and betting strategy. :)

strodawg

strodawg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling is gambling

I have a friend that's arguing with me saying playing poker is not gambling and he even said investing in the stock markets is not gambling.

I say that poker is gambling. And investing in the stock market is also gambling. The skill involved is calculating risks to see what's your best move. But any game or anything that you're betting money is gambling!
Am I wrong? Please tell me if I am.

And also he said poker is 10% Luck. I strongly disagree with that. If you guys were to calculate the percentage of skill and luck in the game of poker what would it be? I's say it's impossible to calculate the percentage of luck and skill unless you are playing a hand. Then you can calculate the percentage of the skill and luck you need IN THE HAND. But in the whole game of POKER it's impossible to know. Am I also wrong about this?

I don't know what forrmula to use to figure out what percentage of luck is in poke but I don't care what mathematician, professional poker player, ect try to tell me preflop percentages on pocket pair beat any other off suit cards... to me any preflop allins are all luck and 50/50. no one can predict the next card they card only hope for it. The skill lies in the showdown.

As far as poker and stocks being gambling or not... he's wrong. money doesnt have to be put up for it to be gambling it can be anything like washing a car or cleaning a house or jogging 10 miles. its just placing a simple wager which can be money, labor, or some type of dare to perform

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is gambling because we play with our money and we hope we will win a lot of money,we make a small investment to win a lot more.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its gambling but unlike the horses fate is in yours hands, play well win #Hopefully :) odds are against us when you bet on football, soccer, dog racing etc - ever seen a poor bookmaker ?

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any card game for money is a gamble. Your friend is telling the truth - poker is not just luck. This is more mathematical approach. But poker is still a gamble.

chisel

chisel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, poker is gambling. Hundreds of thousands of people playing poker every day. and most of them don't take profit.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the long run, it is not just luck but it is obvious that luck will contribute, for example, to a final hand in a tournament.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sim game! But we can also say that it is a game of luck! But in the long run, the luck factor is irrelevant to point out its results.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
can not possibly be, gambling is a big difference between this game and the actual gambling, this thing is up to the individual how they'll react in a certain hand, perhaps even blackjack is not a gamble if knows to count cards ;)

Rinat Akhmadullin

Rinat Akhmadullin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, poker is a gamble, where the money is there and the excitement 😎

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All that is connected with money, risk and depends not on you is gambling

S

SweatPea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course its gambling, i have a feeling your friend is going to get a dose of reality in the near future..

some people are better than others; which will tip the playing field for the better player. however at the end of the day nothing is 100% guaranteed.

stocks, poker, life nothing goes a certain way. variables happen, and will always occur.

Bad

Bad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends, for some who play they are athletes participating in a sport that isn't so much athletically challenged yet challenging nonetheless but for many players it is all a gamble and they play poker like people who hit the slot machines.

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play like a gambler poker will be gamble for you.. But if you carefully pick the hand in which you'll take part, you alone decide your "destiny" .. And that you are not able in any gambling game!

Bad

Bad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play like a gambler poker will be gamble for you.. But if you carefully pick the hand in which you'll take part, you alone decide your "destiny" .. And that you are not able in any gambling game!

Exactly.

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
flips are gambling...

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fff

Poker is a combination of many sectors.Luck skill patience etc so if you focus only at luck its a gabling game.

Doblador bus

Doblador bus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of strategy, decisions and mental ability, if you make the right decisions along you will get good results

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you face the game called poker with luck only, this is gambling, BUT you will not have success. You need psycology and maths. These mean that you need knowledge. We are using luck when there is not enough knowledge about something. This happens also to the 'markets', we are trying to find knowledge to choose the right investement.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling