Is Poker Gambling?

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Crossing the street is a gamble. Show me any decision that is NOT a partial gamble.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SPANKYSN touches upon what I was thinking as well. When you boil it down, everything entails some element of risk where we gamble that the outcome will be in our favor.

Example: I took public transit to get home. I'm gambling that I will make it home safe to my family. There's always some risk, albeit small, that I will get into a fatal accident.

I guess the level of gamble is dependent on how you plan to execute the action you are taking. Such as, in a poker game, if you are playing at a table where you are the mark, then your level of gamble is much higher. Conversely, if you're one of the better players at the table, your level of gamble is lower.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
yes poker to some extent it is the excitement but absolutely any sports game is the emotion and excitement !!! so that a poker is a sport)))))

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as i said at another post poker is like backhammon in my opinion.you need skill and luck together.i would put skill about 60% and leave the other number at luck

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good afternon

And what about f.ex. chess, there is no luck (chance) there ... it is still a game, right! And there are so many examples.

Of course there are many examples, I apply the opinion to juices when we talk about chance, I mean to say it somehow as if it were a roulette, we bet without being sure of what is going to happen and sometimes without any strategy, then we have several Examples like you said chess where it requires more mental activity, read the board well, follow movements and possible movements of the rival, to make our next move, we have detailed many examples, that is true, but I quote again to your answer, always talk about Game of chance in itself as if it were a lottery, I hope it's clear I understood

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a friend that's arguing with me saying playing poker is not gambling and he even said investing in the stock markets is not gambling.

I say that poker is gambling. And investing in the stock market is also gambling. The skill involved is calculating risks to see what's your best move. But any game or anything that you're betting money is gambling!
Am I wrong? Please tell me if I am.

And also he said poker is 10% Luck. I strongly disagree with that. If you guys were to calculate the percentage of skill and luck in the game of poker what would it be? I's say it's impossible to calculate the percentage of luck and skill unless you are playing a hand. Then you can calculate the percentage of the skill and luck you need IN THE HAND. But in the whole game of POKER it's impossible to know. Am I also wrong about this?
Well playing poker for real money is gambling like it or not it is... U need some skill to play it but it s gambling..

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your friend is very compulsive person and this may not understand the difference between gambling and no, I am absolutely convinced that poker and gambling Forex systems.

Meire

Meire

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obvious that poker is a game. Game is all that is dispute, and we played poker the pot of money or the championship. Regarding the luck, but poker is also a game of luck. But the long-term professionals can make money by running plays with the error minimum possible. So I think the ability is 60% of poker and the other 40% luck. For no luck no professional can drive a tournament for example.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Everything is gambling. Work, driving, walking, your whole life is a gamble. How big a risk is poker is a good question and that all depends on how you play, how you manage your money, and how long you play.

mammadduke

mammadduke

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is gambling..and does involve skill and luck..thats my opinion

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think it is a gambling. It depends. You can play just freerolls and then you dont lose anything. You play for fun and maybe earn some prize.

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how anyone can argue doing something without having a guarantee is not defined as a risk. Variation and random uncertainty is the base of the game, that's what makes it fun

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All of the above applies, Gambling occurs every time a bet is placed, called or raised. With Skill you can create better situations where the odds are in your favor to gamble with.

rocknroll0

rocknroll0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with such reasoning, I congratulate You we all here are gamblers and there are millions, don't be ridiculous

Legion

Legion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it is gambling, isn't that why it was invented? Diffrent levels and types of skills required depending on whether you are face to face or online. Card maths, reading your opponents, memory for tells, knowing when to bluff. Lady luck is always needed! Don't matter how skilled you are, if the cards ain't right and you can't bluff your way out, your a gonner😈

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone has a different opinion on this and I doubt there will ever be common ground reached. There is a ton of skill in poker, but there will always be that element of luck. Either way if there is money being exchanged I believe poker will always be considered gambling.

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is gamling.at my last game i had a pair of j and the other guy had a pair of 8.well at the last drive an 8 appeared and i had to face my totally bad luck!

M

MaddB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ofcourse it's luck, I had top pair K on the flop and no flush draw at all, I knew the other guy didn't have any pair higher, can't remember the exact numbers, I betted high, he called and on the turn the flush draw came, so I went all in, he called, no A on the river but he got the flush on the river, he had weak cards but suited, and he got the flush on the river.

Doesn't matter how well you play or how well you calculate your risk, the hand can still turn on you even if your risk of losing is extremely low. Like someone here said, we don't know what card is gonna turn, so we're betting on random outcomes, this surely means it is gambling.

D

Dmitrii Kopylov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything related to play money is gambling, accordingly, poker is a game of chance, but it requires care and mathematics. And gambling are not forced, it is your decision to play or not.

Diegol

Diegol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion it's like being a stockbroker, of course lucky is in there but the most important is your experience and hability, therefor i always say that the more you know the less you gamble

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is gambling with everyone at the table having the same odds. Regardless how you look at it is a form of gambling with some having more gamble in them than others. Legally it has been said it is not gambling but a game of skill. We all know this, but when you have odds, skill and luck involved, it is the definition gambling.

Last edited:
H

Haanski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it has to be considered gambling even if you can make a living off of it

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes poker to some extent it is the excitement but absolutely any sports game is the emotion and excitement !!! so that a poker is a sport)))))
If you play just for fun without money, poker is sports. And with the game on the money it is a gamble. Playing on a financial exchange is just business.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion falsely attributed to poker gambling for a simple reason: because, if you think logically, no sports gambling, bet, or any material value will never make these games of chance! Besides poker, though there is the case of the proportion may even than most of the skill, but a gamble it considered still wrong. Thus, poker fits into the general trend of the development of sports. And I think that in the next few years the number of countries that recognize the essence of sports poker tournaments, will grow.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling