Can Poker Cause Insomnia?

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, many nights have been spent in poker rooms not realizing that it has become morning lol

B

BreakTheBeard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get the same thing. If I played poorly or bubbled a tourney, I keep running scenarios over and over in my head. Plus it depends on what I'm playing. High buy-ins obviously are more stressful.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For sure when I play in a big torunament or I have a good position in any I can´t sleep early, and if I won a good price in the tournament is the same I want contininuos playing. I think is anxiety en my case and I no sure how many hours I can play poker without stop.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that this is possible if he continues to be systematically present in the game for a very long time at night and during the day, as well as received emotions, stress, etc.
Insomnia, more doctor visits, and stabilizing pills.

I have not experienced such a state and do not want to.

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After playing for several years to learn how to play, when you achieve some triumphs you don't want to sleep anymore, I don't know if it's insomnia or it's the adrenaline that keeps you wanting to continue playing.

B

Belgiumburnley

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully not for me as I tend to make more mistakes when I'm tired. I need to be fresh to get better results.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you think poker can cause insomnia? I believe so. I can not sleep before 3 o'clock in the morning playing poker, I think it's the anxiety of being able to succeed in the game and trying to win, and you, too, have insomnia.

I agree 100% that poker can cause insomnia!

For online poker the blue light of the screen makes it hard to sleep
Also the animations lead to lots of stimulation and mental activity

For live poker all the noise, people around, TVs running will have similar effects
Also, we have to be very 'on' since we are in competition mode

Then there is the gambling element...
When we win there is a huge high like with many drugs
When we lose there can be doubt, despair, and regret which keeps us up

And finally yes that adrenaline that comes with being involved in intense competition. The mind is constantly processing, calculating, and needs to be very on for this... If you add in multitabling it only amplifies the effect.

So yes, 100%, many things in poker correlate to having a hard time sleeping
This is probably why many people in poker have some form of substance dependency

But a nice walk in the fresh air with no screens or other players can help bring the nervous system down. I find this, combined with meditation and some journaling tends to settle the mind and allow me to get a good night's rest.

Hopefully others who are struggling with insomnia may find help in these methods!

J

Joselo230

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
si, varias veces me he quedado jugando y no he dado ni me he dado cuenta que ya amanezco jeje

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also agree 100 $ that of insomnia for the same reason that many hours in front of the computer playing 100! online will harm your physical and mental health because I am a fan of more physical and mental poker doing exercises interlaced with your poker.:smile::smile::joyman:

R

Rodriguesxr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just in case you are playing for a long time, with dificults decisions and controlling your stack. In my opinion :)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, this is the cost of the profession, the only way out is to play during the day or change the time zone (mexico canada)

monicamusse

monicamusse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes we want to play at dawn, one of the best times

P

PEGAMEUALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, even more when you lose, you have to know how to control yourself

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not poker, It's looking at a lcd monitor, before going to bed and having the blue light hit your eyes.. Check it out, it will mess with your going to sleep vs playing poker!!

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Nonsense.

What kind of nonsense is that? It's like saying that playing "monopoly" causes insomnia. Poker is just one more table game. Perhaps losing large amounts of money, in any way, that yes, can cause insomnia.:deal::cool:

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it gives me insomnia, but if I lose track of time when I play poker and go to sleep at any time, many times it is early morning and I don't realize that I spend all night playing.:)

O

oscarhuka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very likely that many people play long hours at night, mainly due to insomnia!

It is not my case, many times I fall asleep before finishing a tournament when night comes. That is why I am looking for more Turbos or Hyperurbos tournaments.
I try not to lose my hours of rest.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t know whether poker ‘causes’ insomnia but being somebody who suffers from insomnia I find poker is a blessing as there isn’t much else to be occupied with through the night, especially in these times of lockdown:p

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it certainly affects my sleeping schedule because I often start tourneys at night, which is the time when I'm usually most motivated to play. I can easily stay up too late if I run deep in a tourney.

G

glebchekotin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im from russia and sometimes play till 7am - no problems.easy Fall asleep

S

Sccrply

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't cause it but it can contribute to it... If you aren't aware of the time you can easily get lost down the rabbit hole lol

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
if you win a large sum you will hardly fall asleep :)
and in other cases, poker does not interfere with normal sleep

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Thread: Can Poker Cause Insomnia?

I think so, since many tournaments last longer than necessary and you cannot abandon it, you have to continue for glory.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only get the insomnia if I run really deep in a tourney. Then there is just too much adrenaline in my system to sleep and I'm going over every hand in my head replaying my moments of glory lol and thinking about those pots I lost and whether I could have played them differently.

Aldorabe

Aldorabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all through a screen causes insomnia not because of poker