Poker is a sport or a game of chance?

Serbianbeauty

Serbianbeauty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably some of both. I think of it this way: it is a hobby with potential. Most hobbies cost money. This hobby is actually making me money, so I get entertainment and feeling of progressing in skill and bankroll. And long term it has potential for higher income.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport or a game of chance? What do you think?

I believe poker is a game of strategy with a generous helping of variance (chance) added in. I mean if you study and constantly learn you can give yourself a better chance of being profitable, but luck is definitely a factor. Those one outers on the river prove that..

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it's a sport, maybe chance has some more impact on it, but still, beside chess I can't think of any sport where chance does not influence it on at least a minimal level (like wind). Poker needs skill, like other sports, therefore it is a sport for me (unlike lotteries)

Johnson baker

Johnson baker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a sport per se but a game of skill, not chance. :top:

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
basically already answered by everyone. Both. some luck and some skill but a lot of skill if you want to more or less consistently win. and sometimes you can get unlucky too even if you´re skilled. happens. long term you should be in profit though generally

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over the long run its definetly a sport, because then its not based on luck!

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not a sport. A standard tournament is a game of skill. A turbo tournament is a game of luck.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's both, although I'm more inclined to a chance game if you mean mathematical probabilities.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
Wanna know...it all depends on the site you are playing the day you are playing
your mood the weather in China, Donald tweets etc etc etc
No seriously, you amy be the best one...but the river just breaks you....haha
Rgds

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport or a game of chance? What do you think?
It is a mind sport!!
This article I took it from Wikipedia.
A mind sport is a game of skill where the competition is based on a particular type of the intellectual ability as opposed to physical exercise.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is more of a game of chance than a sport. But in general, poker is an intellectual game.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lately I think poker is a game.Venturesome.Although it's a game of wit--you can't count a few moves ahead like in chess.There is an element of luck.And where this element is present, there is excitement.Win or lose?

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
POKER, LUCK, OR PROBABILITY

studying a hand I played I think poker is but luck than likely.

what do you think luck or probability?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Luck or probability? Both?

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
luck is far from being a given and it just happens in our lives or in the game. In the long run, there are no lucky or unlucky players. In poker, on a very large number of games , all players will have the same cards in hand, and if you hold a hand more favorable than the previous one, you say that it may not last. It is therefore best to get the most out of your cards when they are in your hands, while accepting that your next hand may be worse and that you will have to go to bed or lose by limiting the damage. "Luck is what happens when preparation meets the opportunity." Doyle Brunson

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker has been recognized as a "mind sport" at the IMSA (International Mind Sports Association) assembly, and will have the same status as chess and bridge, for example !!!

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is probability, google agrees.

Probability is the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. Probability = the number of ways of achieving success. the total number of possible outcomes.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probability by definition assumes that luck will have some effect on every single outcome. I actually view winning a hand that has the odds in my favor as an example of 'good luck'. I'm lucky that the 70% probability of winning actually occurred rather than the 30% probability of losing.

C

curiplop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
clearly it is a game of skill, if not because they always win the same, chance can help the short term but in the long term the winning players remain, I do not think they are so lucky

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lot's of Luck

"Live" poker tournaments - sport for sure. To be successful requires a lot of reading, concentration, practice.. Skill 80% and luck 20%.
I got information that the situation in the online game is quite different, but I still do not have enough experience.

Online, luck plays a much bigger part than face to face seating. More luck than skill.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker and all sport-twins who are seriously involved in sports, he would support me.

Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is a game of skill more than anything because it requires a lot of reading from your rivals, it is easier to beat them if you can read what they will have in their hands. it seems to me that a sport requires more physical than mental ability

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game of chance depends exclusively luck, so poker can not be considered a game of chance because a player's ability counts much.
I consider sport

Top 10 Games