Poker is a sport or a game of chance?

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport or a game of chance? What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ananke222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both
it's a sport and a game of chasnce especially when you win

R

RiverKing422

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It can be a little bit of both, its a game of skill but luck has a big factor in it as well, wish you the best at the tables

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a sport and also a game of chance.
It's a sport because you need to practice and can compete with other players, you can be a champion.
And it is also a game of chance, because simply this is involved in the game.
But overall I think it's more skill than luck or chance
🤙🤙

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a sport or a game of chance? How do you think?

I like to think its a bit of both, maybe more Chance and Skill...

Great Question and thread Idea... I'm going to rate this as excellent... Hope Others will notice the thread rating system above and do the same...

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Live" poker tournaments - sport for sure. To be successful requires a lot of reading, concentration, practice.. Skill 80% and luck 20%.
I got information that the situation in the online game is quite different, but I still do not have enough experience.

G

Goonsquad1217

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe live poker skill of observation is helpful. Occasionally one might have some skill online by noticing betting habits. All very useful but if luck isn't on your side you can never win. I'm talking tourney play.

Cash tables is bit difference. Not a need to take as many chances. Small gains and small losses you should get ahead if you play +EV games.

But again luck plays the most in winning. Ever hear of a card dead player winning. No . So if unlucky makes a difference how can lucky not.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a game of chance with a competitive component built in, its great for almost all ages:)

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is NOT a sport
It's a game,
use a dictionary, a sport is defined as
"requires athletic ability"
Where's that in poker ?

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Poker is a game of skill and thinking. If you are playing poker and expect to win on the basis of luck to know you have almost zero chances.

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a game of chance if you play online. When you play live tournament its a sport with skills and bit of chance :D

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me poker is a sport of endurance and competence but in which we can not gang up if we are out of luck. you can play well and lose against an opponent who is not as good as you.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To me poker can be both. Any time you compete with a person or persons it can be argued that that event is a sport and of course the nature of most card games are games of chance especially poker.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is far more gambling involved in everything than most people would like to admit! :)

I think of poker as a game of math, because it is all about odds and excellent wagering.

maclina

maclina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport ... intellectual.

Poker is a sport or a game of chance? What do you think?

From the moment one works on the effectiveness of an action, the motivation, the concentration, the analysis of oneself and the adversary, one can legitimately say that poker is a sport in its own right. :):)

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the moment one works on the effectiveness of an action, the motivation, the concentration, the analysis of oneself and the adversary, one can legitimately say that poker is a sport in its own right.:):)

Totally agree with you

Poker is NOT a sport
It's a game,
use a dictionary, a sport is defined as
"requires athletic ability"
Where's that in poker ?

Why then are considered chess a sport?

Last edited by a moderator:
iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Hello .Poker is a passion game for me .A lot of choises and desiciions during it.It can be very addictive game so you need to control it .Chances may be against you sometimes and loose a lot of money with AA etc. so keep under control .Good luck.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the person if he is gambling then it is gambling if not the sport it is my personal opinion.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are many people who have been able to take money out of poker, they have become professional tournament players .. it is very likely that dedicating all your time, you can go far in poker .. I think it is very important to have a good level in poker because you do not know when you're going to need to play.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sport or game

You would think people would be smart enough to know the difference.
If you think poker or chess is a sport....
Use a dictionary

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chess is not considered a sport
its a game too

At the moment, chess as a sport has been approved in 100 countries around the world. In 1999, chess was recognized sports game in the International Olympic Committee.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the moment, chess as a sport has been approved in 100 countries around the world. In 1999, chess was recognized sports game in the International Olympic Committee.
yeah I know its recognized by the I.O.C.
they applied to be the 2020 Olympics too
doesn't mean its a sport
a sport requires athletic ability
but....whatever
call it a sport, I won't
ever

Top 10 Games