Poker, a hobby, a sport or a game of chance?

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think It's because of this.

did they say why they passed the law for it to be a sport?
All games are divided into three categories. First of all, these are games in which there is a physical moment. Where you need faster, higher and so on. The second category is intellectual games. Where the result depends on the mind of a person. This is chess, the same bridge is sporty. And, in the end, the third category is gambling, where the result does not depend on your skills - neither from physical data, nor from intellectual ones. There everything was decided by chance. If you take this category, the main example is roulette. Anyone can play, and the result depends on the pure case. People use in poker their tactics, strategy, calculate the actions of the enemy. Poker can not be compared with a tape measure. He falls under another category - intellectual sport.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All games are divided into three categories. First of all, these are games in which there is a physical moment. Where you need faster, higher and so on. The second category is intellectual games. Where the result depends on the mind of a person. This is chess, the same bridge is sporty. And, in the end, the third category is gambling, where the result does not depend on your skills - neither from physical data, nor from intellectual ones. There everything was decided by chance. If you take this category, the main example is roulette. Anyone can play, and the result depends on the pure case. People use in poker their tactics, strategy, calculate the actions of the enemy. Poker can not be compared with a tape measure. He falls under another category - intellectual sport.

I still don’t agree with this. But if they are breaking sports down into categories fine, so I guess that means they are going to change the definition of a sport.

N

naddyone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you see me play you"ll definitley see its a hooy for me. However i do consider it to sometimes be a sport as i lift and throw my laptop out the window. Finally as in life most every thing is chance. I been married 33 yrs and counting

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, poker is a hobby that sometimes brings profit to me. But I also believe that poker can be considered a sport.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
People can call poker as they want. For some, it means one thing, but for others something else. Personally, for me, for the moment, it's just a hobby.:)

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all 3 and it mostly just depends on the skill level of the player which category they fall in

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm lost on how you feel that low stakes is not a sport? but if you win it is a sport? this makes no-sense at all.

Low stakes cash game penny poker is a hobby. No one is getting rich off it and the competition is not difficult. It is meant for fun.

Winning at MTT's like "markovitsus" who plays 90-100 hour weeks takes competitive levels of endurance,concentration and memory. Hence I consider it a sport.

Should have added words cash game and MTT structure to my comment.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Low stakes cash game penny poker is a hobby. No one is getting rich off it and the competition is not difficult. It is meant for fun.

Winning at MTT's like "markovitsus" who plays 90-100 hour weeks takes competitive levels of endurance,concentration and memory. Hence I consider it a sport.

Should have added words cash game and MTT structure to my comment.

Makes more sense I can see some merit in this

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some play as a hobby and some play as a sport, but its not a game of chance

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker is a hobby. Enough of this putting "sport" in the title. For PE class in high school did you play poker? Did they say forget 4 laps we're gonna play triple draw? C'mon now, it's a hobby and for some people it's a profession. Stop saying sport.

I wish I had learned to play poker in PE class! The big guys could always beat me in the 'sports' classes.

We will never reach a consensus on whether or not poker (or chess) is a sport. There are elements of athletic activity in poker such as the mental processes, the competition, the strategizing, and the stress levels in some games. However, there are big differences, such as the physical strength required in most sports; the physical skills; the hand-eye coordination (although I have spilled my chip stack several times - un-coordinated me).

Call it what you want - game, sport, hobby, pastime, obsession, ... It could fit any of them depending on the factors applied.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mind sport

I find poker to be at times an expensive hobby. To say the least it takes an investment.

Sport... well, I find the better shape I am in the better I play. It takes focus to create your opportunities, or create those opportunities. You are better off not as soft as you would be softer.

I am working on a bankroll to start paying more to pay the bills, trying to apply my average of $25-$50 per hour over more eight hour days and forty hour weeks. At the same time, I'm in the gym dropping pounds. Core stability exercises help keep my mind focused I notice. I need that as part of my training regimen I have been forever perfecting.

A

Andrey Zubkov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, poker is a theory of probability and a pleasant hobby. Charge for the mind.

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a gamble, and for some people it's a job

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, poker is not a sport, but hobbies or even work it can be quite ...

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game.
For those who play for fun, it is a hobby.
For those who play professionally, it is a competition.
Does being a competition automatically make it a sport?
I personally prefer to reserve the term "sport" to physical rather than mental competitions

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
For me, poker is a hobby. Perhaps poker is also a gamble. And I do not agree with those who consider him a sport.

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is definitely not a physical sport. Actually me and my boyfriend used to go to the gym a lot. But when we discovered poker, going to the gym was not that important anymore. We are both having some extra kilo's right now. haha

JulioJones

JulioJones

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm gonna say hobby. I can't really say it's a sport lol. Much like many of the other comments in this thread I agree.

gorbonz2020

gorbonz2020

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a hobby I also think definally a game of skill but I can't put it in category as physical sport also.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitelyfirst a hobby/profession .

I would not classify it as sport directly, as it doesnt fit in the classic theme. Like chess, its more a thinking sport, not physical.

And by play style, its still a game of chance with luck involved, not much, but enough that someone can play perfectly, but still looses.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the end of a day, its a game of chance.

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For everyone in different ways, for someone hobby and entertainment in poker, but for others it's the job and the income from poker that they live.

S

superspeed727

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Imho, it is a game of luck first and foremost. But only when two competent players not making a lot of glaring errors are playing versus each other.

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Poker is a hobby unless you make some good money doing it, also its a game of chance. Everything about it is a game of chance no matter what the numbers are... unless you got a 100% to win the hand.

J

jekan85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is a hobby and gambling hobby but not like sports

Top 10 Games