Poker, a hobby, a sport or a game of chance?

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider poker a hobby, I do not think it's a sport and it can even be considered a game of chance.

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker can be a hobby, partly a good luck game, but I do not think poker is a sport.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider poker a hobby, I do not think it's a sport and it can even be considered a game of chance.

A definition of sport is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." I guess to some extend poker has characteristics of a sport, however in my opinion is not a sport as it does not include the physical aspect

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hobby is play money,is more suitable gambling and not a sport...

A

aryano1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game it is deffinatily.Sport

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Texas Holdem is a skill game with a random element. I think it is a mind sport like chess, only with a random element, because in a short period of time everyone can win, while in the long run a professional will always win. The only random variation of poker is definitely 5 Card Draw. I treat poker as a hobby and a way to get extra money.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that poker is a hobby for me, but now I'm beginning to doubt that poker - hobby or gambling, in my country ukraine now officially decided that poker is a sport and will open poker offices and hold poker live tournaments in which all can take wishing players who like to play poker, and I will also try to play poker live tournaments and try myself in the game at a live tournament!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion, you are wrong. I am convinced that poker can be considered a sport, such as chess.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Poker is my favorite hobby.
But every day I try to improve my game. I read, study, and play a lot. I hope that over time I will be able to make money playing my favorite game. And I think it is a gamble.
Good luck.

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion, you are wrong. I am convinced that poker can be considered a sport, such as chess.

Do you really consider chess like a sport? With all my regards to chess players, who think they are athlets, i think they dont! I dont say athlets cant play chess, i say you cant callin yourself an athlet playing chess. The same situation with poker. Thats the great kind of rivalisation, test of your mind and physical control and condition, but it is not a sport.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
for me, poker ... is a strategy game like chess ... therefore it is a mental sport ... and it could also be a hobby for those who practice it for fun ..! It depends a lot on what it means for each person ...!

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider a game for many a hobby and a sport other.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Most recently in my country, Ukraine passed a law on which poker is considered a sport. Therefore, I believe that poker is a sport.

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a hobby. Enough of this putting "sport" in the title. For PE class in high school did you play poker? Did they say forget 4 laps we're gonna play triple draw? C'mon now, it's a hobby and for some people it's a profession. Stop saying sport.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on how you structure yourself.

it is a hobby if you stick to low-stakes to matter what. It is a sport if you consistently win at MTT's that is an endurance and concentration sport.

If you don't practice bankroll management then it is just a gamble, a difficult and complicated gamble at that.

So all three just depends on the structuring.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on how you structure yourself.

it is a hobby if you stick to low-stakes to matter what. It is a sport if you consistently win at MTT's that is an endurance and concentration sport.

If you don't practice bankroll management then it is just a gamble, a difficult and complicated gamble at that.

So all three just depends on the structuring.

I'm lost on how you feel that low stakes is not a sport? but if you win it is a sport? this makes no-sense at all.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think at times it is all three of these. Hobby for some who play to entertain themselves with. Sport when playing in a tournament, needed to be the last person left in the tournament. A game of chance, when you take a look at each individual hand played. That is the way I see it anyway.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think at times it is all three of these. Hobby for some who play to entertain themselves with. Sport when playing in a tournament, needed to be the last person left in the tournament. A game of chance, when you take a look at each individual hand played. That is the way I see it anyway.

I feel you on the hobby and game of chance but why does playing in a tournament make it a sport?

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me and i,m sure, that for the most of the people poker is just a hobby. It,s really so hard to spend lots of time on poker, because sometimes you just got tired of it and need to have a rest. I,m not sure, how the professional poker players can be so patient, but for me sometimes it,s hard to controll myself and focus on the game. That,s why it,s better to take it as a hobby.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I feel you on the hobby and game of chance but why does playing in a tournament make it a sport?

The test of being in the heat of compaction trying to beat all the other players. Maybe not a sport, but sport's entertainment might fit?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most recently in my country, Ukraine passed a law on which poker is considered a sport. Therefore, I believe that poker is a sport.

did they say why they passed the law for it to be a sport?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The test of being in the heat of compaction trying to beat all the other players. Maybe not a sport, but sport's entertainment might fit?

I like this better... sport by definition is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Poker doesn't have physical exertion therefore I do not see how it could be classified as a sport..

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like poker like A game its A hobby to chance Win money but dont have sport

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
take as a hobby or a game of chance, a sport...dont think so.

Top 10 Games