Is Poker a Game of Skill or Chance?

T

t419bone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i play in home league once a week. all the guys say im the luckest guy in the league. yes its part of the game but not 50%. more like 20-25%:):):):):)

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more of a strategy/thinking game, but you can't neglect the fact that some luck comes in play. However, using a correct strategic and mathematical approach to the game will result in a profit over the long run. Law of large numbers etc :)

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is variance. Winning at freerolls, spin n goes, plo, first prize from a big field tourney, you have to have some luck. Playing small stakes with donkeys you have to have some luck. Playing at a tourney that you never see a flop and its only calling an all in or folding you have to have some luck. Playing a low variance game like mid stake cash game or decent tourney its all about skill, and you dont have to have some luck to win, just to dont be unlucky.

R

raimundox44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long run the luck very little influence, but to have an approximate ROI to the Fedor Holz, you need luck.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Evidently, both components are important.
Anyway, I guess, more important how do you play.
Good luck.

R

Rskeyyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 4-5 times in a game you need to be lucky, the rest of the game you are right "strathegy is everything"

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a skill game but you have to get lucky in some key spots to go deep or win those large field mtts.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like how Glovvorn started, "There is some luck involved in almost every aspect of life." To compound on top of that. the most successful people take the time to study their industry. They find out what works, and what doesn't. In other words, you should spend just as much time playing as you do studying the game to get better. At the end of the day you still make money off the opportunities that presents itself. you capitalize on these opportunities though hardwork. All while being at the right place at the right time.

Then in other situations like finding "your soulmate". It's almost complete luck of being in the right place at the right time, but if you try and overcompensate because of previous interactions, you normally lose out on that opportunity. when all you had to do was be yourself, and you might have been set for life...

All of this is relevant, if you put in the work to be good, you will be good. In turn, if your good, and try to change your style of play into something your not. You could lose the best thing to ever happen to you.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is understandable that a good player will win countless times without having the best hand, it is skill issue.

Poker is a game of information.* To borrow a phrase from 1983 World Series of* Poker Main Event champ, Tom McEvoy, “…Poker is not a card game with people, it is a people game with cards.”* So how do we gather information about our opponents?* The first thing to learn is to not over think it.
From www.pokerbankrollblog.com/poker-is-not-a-card-game-with-people-it-is-a-people-game-with-cards.htm

Good players will get less involved in situations where they are more dependent on luck.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
There is more to think about than in a game of chess, a game which I play to a very good standard.Therefore skill plays a huge part in poker.There is also a large element of luck involved in poker and no luck involved in chess.
Poker is a game that involves both elements but the top players overcome the luck factor by playing a high volume number of hands, and sticking to the hands that are +EV and letting go the hands that are -EV.
In other words playing hands where the odds are in favour and folding the hands where the odds are against.
Eventually the plus odds hands will overcome the minus EV hands.
The guys who play the +EV hands eventually become the winners overall and those who play the + and - EV hands go busto.

JOKE on YOU

JOKE on YOU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you go all in without looking at flop you are gambling, if you wait to se all cards than you get to use skills, and figure out what is what

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill but you need a bit of luck as well.

S

step055

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, it is a combination of both 'ingredients'. If you are a well-experienced player, you have a lot of chances to win. But on the other hand if you have no luck, all your skills may be useless. So, the best variant is to be a clever, skilled and lucky player)))

MadMurkin

MadMurkin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
skill if u play brick and mortar.
luck if you play online.
pray to god if u play at ACR.

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its better to lucky than good. Costs a lot to depend on luck.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering the numerous conclusions, from the most different experts investigating poker from different parts of the world, it is possible to draw a conclusion on objectivity of the drawn conclusion – the main role in poker is played not by(with) a factor of good luck, but skill of the player. It follows from this that the poker is not gambling, and is classified as an intellectual (commercial) game.

A

ALF10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it fair to believe that poker might be more about luck than about skill?

I have several acquaintances who stand by the belief that poker is all about luck. They think that anyone who truly believes that poker requires any real skill is not only doing a disservice to themselves, but also doing a disservice to the name of poker. To quote one of them; "Poker is a form of gambling and to say that any form of gambling can be controlled is to remove it from the entire category of gambling itself." I am curious not only what a larger community of people think but also, is there any rational reasoning to this statement?

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think poker is 60% skill and 40% Luck....coin flip....

Z

zohnum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the person who has a good reading has 1 good game, but luck counts a lot in my understanding, what do you think?

Nikka18

Nikka18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes that is so true. And it is indeed fair to believe that. Poker has alot to do with skill. But there's more luck that skill when it comes to poker

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker for me is more for the skills of the game but luck is also present, I think that somewhere 70% of skill and 30% of luck in the game, but many think for themselves in different ways!

T

tgeezee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are lucky if some guy dishes off his chips to you
is that skill
are you lucky to run into the same 5 people at the end of every game ?
were you lucky to put your chips in on the river with the best hand ?
was it luck tricking your opponent to think your bluffing
what was the question again ?

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you improve your game and make the right decision in the long run you will win. There are so many bad players that its imposible to not win in the long run so luck might make you be a big winner or not. But there is no luck in winning over hunders of thousands of hands.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a gamble that requires skill and discipline.
Do not pay attention to the opinion of others, just go to your goal.
Good luck.

Top 10 Games