Are pocket jacks a premium hand?

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no confidence into pocket jacks and I don't consider them for premium hand, in my opinion QQ is not premium hand in online poker but I trust in it

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Pair JJ is a good hand but not premium .... If I order me it doesn't go well I always lose with that pair hehe:D

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
premium

no if a k q are out there jacks will be bad

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd go all in with pocket J's one time I got called by aces and hit the J and ko'ed the other player..

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

Of course, pocket jacks are a strong hand. The fact is that everyone is waiting for Broadway cards from the ladies and above.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nope. Just a big pair. IMO. But makes anyone happy to have it.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really there are a lot of outs that can beat that hand. Maybe after the turn they might be a good hand.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to my stats in PT4 (that I set up new 3 weeks ago) I played 33 times JJ and won almost 2 Million Chips. For me this is premium, but it looks like it depends, when you play them. First hand in a freeroll with a 5 handed multi-pot it is just a worthless pair, but this changes on a FT. Anyway, I love and hate this hand as much as most of us, one of the most difficult to play.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
According to my stats in PT4 (that I set up new 3 weeks ago) I played 33 times JJ and won almost 2 Million Chips.
"almost 2 million chips" is a useless statistic. You need to look at your BB won column to put it into context. For example, assuming winning pots of perhaps 10bb:
  • winning 1 of 4 hands at 5000/10000 wins you 100000 chips.
  • winning 9 of 10 hands to 50/100 wins you 9000 chips.
You won a lot more chips in example 1 but the 2nd example was a 90% win rate. You won 10bb in the first one and 90bb in the second one.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yes pocket jacks are 4 th best starting hand.
No, they're not.

AA
KK
AKs
QQ
AKo
JJ

They're 6th. And that's part of the problem. All of those others are ahead of them.

rehktega

rehktega

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I particularly hate pocket jacks because they lose 58% of the time. It's a very rubbish pair in my opinion.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pocket tens are considered a premium hand

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At last tourney a dude shoved his last stack against me, I had Pocket Jacks, It was the way he shoved that made me think twice, it wasn't just that he shoved... I got laughed at by the whole table when I folded (and said I had pocket jacks, because I can be a good sport and say my hand at times-usually for studying purposes lol), but I felt I made the right call. It goes back to my thought (and what Alexander Fitzgerald taught), that if you can't fold pocket pairs in a tourney, you will not make money. I don't trust jacks, I also despise AJ, I would rather shove 68 suited.

Was I wrong? Who knows, who cares, I still made money and I look at Jacks as a snake in the Effin grass.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Premium or not, it's an awkward hand to have. For me, it is premium in certain circumstances and it has saved me from OOTM to getting to the final table several times, but it is not an all-in-able preflop hand. In fact I don't even 3-bet it unless there's a few players already in the pot before me. I have also folded it several times to three betting but most of the time I like to get them to the turn, sometimes river if I don't manage to take the pot pre-showdown, which in microstakes it isn't that manageable. Very board dependable unlike queens, kings and aces that can get away more easily on most boards. Tens, nines and eights are nearly on the same level for me, slightly more set hunting. However, they are an easy-ish foldable hand.

Whompus

Whompus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They're a pocket pair so play em like a pocket pair. Just be careful and remember 22 is just as good against AK, AQ...don't risk it all unless you think your good.. and don't beat yourself up if your not.. play on.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think a JJ would make me push all-in preflop, but it's a good hand.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh yea its a good hand for sure, I like any pocket pair when I look down at at em really. I'll usually stay to see the flop just in case I hit it and try to ruin som1s day..lol . Good luck crushin it.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today, an interesting question appeared on PokerStars social networks: are pocket jacks a premium hand? I think not. I also consider pocket queens a semi-premium hand. What do you think?

It depends on "how good" of a hand qualifies as "premium." Personally, I do consider JJ a premium preflop holding. It is one of the best starting hands after all (top 10% of hands for sure preflop). However, JJ (and QQ for that matter) could easily be over-valued post-flop and for this reason, you don't want to never fold this hand as you can potentially lose a lot with it if unable to get out of the way when beat.

The premium of the premium hands are AA and KK because they are seldom ever dominated and having KK against AA is just a statistical rarity.

In the case of JJ, I feel like it holds a bit more power shorter stacked than in deeper stacked games, but nevertheless, I still consider JJ a premium holding preflop. Post-flop, even pocket Aces are simply One Pair.

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think jacks can be a premium hand. Too much chance of higher cards on the board.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
Today, an interesting question appeared on PokerStars social networks: are pocket jacks a premium hand? I think not. I also consider pocket queens a semi-premium hand. What do you think?

i would consider pocket jacks as a semi-premium hand, for me a premium hand is a hand where your odds pre flop is as great as 85% and above with very little room to get out flopped, which is AA's and KK's, only hand that can beat kings are Aces, queens and below lesson your odds, having the cards is one part of it, knowing how to use it to your advantage is another

AzazeL0707

AzazeL0707

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Pocket AA have let me down many times

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket JJ

They're in the top 7. Decent pair, just don't overplay them. More smaller pairs than bigger, so that's premium. It's just those pesky overpairs that can ruin your day.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
It depends on "how good" of a hand qualifies as "premium." Personally, I do consider JJ a premium preflop holding. It is one of the best starting hands after all (top 10% of hands for sure preflop).
That's been part of my issue that I haven't addressed in this thread. (And is my issue in a lot of discussions -- poker and non-poker.) What do you mean by "premium". That's kind of subjective and hand-wavey, right?

Anyway, JJ is in the top 2.5% of starting hands. The top 10% is pretty wide. Specifically, 55+, A8s+, ATo+.

Screenshot 2022 05 05 070756

It's hard to consider "top 10%" as premium when you might only be playing the top 20-25% to begin with. But again, what is "premium"?

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Everything is known at a distance in the long run, this is not a bad hand, depending on how to play it and a lot of things depend on the position, too, luck is not unimportant, players with AA lose,

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands