Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Today, an interesting question appeared on pokerstars social networks: are pocket jacks a premium hand? I think not. I also consider pocket queens a semi-premium hand. What do you think?

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Today, an interesting question appeared on PokerStars social networks: are pocket jacks a premium hand? I think not. I also consider pocket queens a semi-premium hand. What do you think?

According to basic theories, prize hands are:

Ak, QQ, KK and AA.

So no, JJ are not.

Regarding QQ, as well as KK, just play without overvaluing, remember that you only have one pair in your hand.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A pair of jacks is a double edged sword since what is an odd half high, In several tournaments I have lost with pair of jacks,I noticed that in some tournaments when you drop a pair other players also drop several pairs.:eek::eek::eek:

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's hard to say that but to me every pocket pair is premium, how can you say that AK is a premium hand and JJ not if all pairs has slightly more chances of winning preflop? 22 is favorite preflop against AK too. So IMO pocket pairs are indeed premium hands, the danger is pair against pair and JJ is top 4 of 13, so it's a very nice hand. But pocket pairs are way harder to play posflop, that is a fact (not if you hit the set).

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
heads up I guess you would treat it as premium - also if you had 50bbs vs someone on 10bbs. But would be folding vs AI in a multiway pot of similar stack sizes. Also, of course, if I had 10bbs I would be very happy to get fish hooks

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Never heard of a pocket pair of jacks being a premium hand!!! Many players have a lot of trouble playing this pair correctly, while premium hands are much easier to play correctly!!!

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think with a short stack with a pair of jacks, you can go all-in without thinking. If the stack is about average, you can be careful, especially if there are several other players involved. Already the flop can turn out to be very unpleasant, when it would not be a mistake to fold jacks.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Since it is difficult to get value on all 3 streets with top pair JJ even on low boards, I would not rate it as a premium hand. You will more often get into situations where you pay QQ+ than that you get value from TT-.

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely a premium hand

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
JJ is an excellent hand... but not a premium one.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that two jacks should be included in premium cards.

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's hard to say that but to me every pocket pair is premium, how can you say that AK is a premium hand and JJ not if all pairs has slightly more chances of winning preflop? 22 is favorite preflop against AK too. So IMO pocket pairs are indeed premium hands, the danger is pair against pair and JJ is top 4 of 13, so it's a very nice hand. But pocket pairs are way harder to play posflop, that is a fact (not if you hit the set).
I forget to mention that opinion of mine is only for heads-up, multiway pot only high pairs plays well.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
It is not considered a premium hand and I also think it is the most difficult pair to play.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a good hand, but not a premium hand. It also needs to be played very carefully and, as always, a lot depends on position and whether the game is loose or tight.

With JJ it is preferable to have no more than a couple of opponents (hoping they hold up without improvement), or as many opponents as possible in case you flop a set. The worst situation is when you have just three or four opponents see the flop because you called in a tight game or raised in a loose one.

If the pot has been raised and reraised before your turn to act, it is probably best to fold.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think so and even more so if it is in late positions

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good hand, but it doesn't appeal to me. I have lost many games because of JJ.:(:(

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Jacks are the fourth most powerful hand in Texas Hold'em, and at the same time, many poker players do not like it. It is too strong to play it passively, so you often have to call at least one street. But at the same time, it loses to the range of premium hands. And often there will be overcards on the flop, which will put you in front of difficult decisions.
This, of course, does not mean that you should fold preflop jacks, although it is often joked about in the poker community. You just need to know how to play with this hand correctly in different situations.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket Jacks being a premium hand is a tough one. If I am on the button and have a limper and the blinds left---yes they are a premium hand. This is where I will raise with them and hope to take out the blinds and maybe the limper. If I am UTG and have pocket jacks then that is a different story. In this situation they are a mid-level hand and should be played to try and set mine and keep the pot small. So, with pocket jacks the position that ur in is just as important as the cards you hold. If the betting starts to look like a big pot is brewing, I don't want to be in that fight with pocket jacks.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it is the 4th strongest pre-flop hand you can get. As tricky as they can be to play, they do very well against low flops, and slight favourite against A/K A/Q if you fancy a race. They can also block straight draws. But it is best to play them case by case basis.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Today, an interesting question appeared on PokerStars social networks: are pocket jacks a premium hand? I think not. I also consider pocket queens a semi-premium hand. What do you think?

I definitely don't consider JJ a premium hand, the last time I won with JJ I was 18, today I'm 59.:D:D:D

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket jacks are not premium hand, its strong, but also difficult hand to play. In stacks of 50bb or less it even more stronger. The main rule with JJ: do not overclock the bank. If I don't get a set postflop with an overcard, I need to be careful and be ready to fold to a big raise.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

when I have a pair of JJ in my hand and I'm the first to bet I usually open 2x the BB.

In some situations where I get 3-bet I just call and evaluate the flop, because villain may have better hands like: AA, KK, QQ and hands that I can win if I don't open any card above J, like: AK, AQ, KQ

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm my opinion they are but only pre flop and they become less post flop the more player in the hand. Your beating alot of pocket pairs and if you play agressive you continuation bets with work out often enough when the flops spikes an ace or king, if both come on the flop I slow down

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
JJ is a premium hand, but very difficult to play. On the flop and following streets you can be dominated by your opponent if A, K or Q comes out.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they are. I have jj - the leader in hitting the set.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands