Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pocket Jacks are one of the top 5 hands you can have preflop. Yes its a premium hand preflop. Is it vulnerable on the flop, yes it is as over 1/2 the flops will have a over card but that's part of the game.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is the pair that in 98% of cases takes me out of the game! I hate it!

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hell, no jacks are not a premium, looks like everythong beats it, so is the case for me

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think of Poker as really Russian roulette. One mistake and you are out. Poker is about spots. I may fold JJ or QQ in different spots.. close to money..

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard to say that but to me every pocket pair is premium, how can you say that AK is a premium hand and JJ not if all pairs has slightly more chances of winning preflop? 22 is favorite preflop against AK too. So IMO pocket pairs are indeed premium hands, the danger is pair against pair and JJ is top 4 of 13, so it's a very nice hand. But pocket pairs are way harder to play posflop, that is a fact (not if you hit the set).
Also thinking about how people overpricing AX hands that can easily getting slaped by any pocket pair) Started to play not so aggressive with AX hands and getting some positive results so far, will keep it testing)

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that it is not a premium hand, if I review the times that I played that hand, it would be more the ones I lost than the ones I won

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QQ+ AK are premium, JJ and TT are not premium in the sense they are not comfortable playing for stacks unless you flop good.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say pocket Jacks are only premium when I play 6 handed Texas... to many suckouts when playing at 9 handed games when I hold The Jiggities

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I do not think that JJ is a premium hand, though it is a good hand. But because there could be several overcards on the board, making JJ hard to play postflop.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is it a premium hand? for me it's only a premium hand when you are in a though position with chips and you need a "premium" hand then jj comes into play but, apart from that i think premium hands are QQ KK AA AK, and a few AQ KQ suited cards,

JJ just isn't one for me personally

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With JJ I have more losing hands than I have won. I do not consider them premium

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the same the JJ are not premium and that the QQ are almost premium.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today, an interesting question appeared on PokerStars social networks: are pocket jacks a premium hand? I think not. I also consider pocket queens a semi-premium hand. What do you think?
I think the same.
But I believe it has a lot of value in some situations.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Get in on the flop cheap if possible and hope for a set. If that is not the result, check or fold.

Cheers

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to basic theories, prize hands are:

Ak, QQ, KK and AA.

So no, JJ are not.

Regarding QQ, as well as KK, just play without overvaluing, remember that you only have one pair in your hand.

I strongly agree with you, buddy!

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think pocket jacks are not a premiun hand, playing with JJ most of the time you lose, JJ are dominated by 12 or more hands that can play well, connector.

M

mikeajax15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a typical two street value hand.

And a very fun hand to play!

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
There's a 52% chance that an overcard to JJ will appear on the flop alone. So if you are up against something in the AK, AQ, or KQ range, you have a 52% chance of being a bit nervous. Did that one overcard hit your opponent or not? If there are multiple opponents, all 3 of those overs could be covered so there's a 52% chance of you being behind at least ONE of them.

That said, in that 48% chance that JJ is top pair (to the board), you can feel pretty comfortable unless you know the opponent has an overpair (and would they not have 3-bet pre with that?). In that case, you were 80/20 to begin with.

So "premium hand"? It's definitely on the edge there.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a premium, very high pair, and it blocks many straights. Many times we are ahead pre with a better number than 50%. Also I don't see why people are struggleing with JJ - maybe they want to win too big pot with this combination?

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. Not top. Slightly above average.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a strong hand, but not strong enough to go all in pre flop for more than 15BB, a lot of times it's a winner but not often enough.

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that 10s plus and AQs, AKs or AKo are premium hands.
Obviously Jacks have less playability than some other premiums but it still is considered a premium hand in my opinion.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion is that against loose players JJ is a premium hand while against nits it is almost a trash if you face aggression .... against aggression from a nit you can only set mine with it in most cases

so in general it depends on situation . i would say that JJ is a very good starting hand with potential of it being a premium hand but also danger of getting overplayed in some situations

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes pocket jacks are 4 th best starting hand. But it’s only 40% of final hand.

M

MilkLegs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is the dangling carrot.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands