thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Some players regard any pair as a premium hand, I would agree 9s, 10s and above. Some also regard AK, AQ suited and so on but basically a big pair.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
JJ can get you in a lot of bother. They grab your attention, but can easily turn into trash.
Treat as a middle pair, be prepared to fold them on a wet flop, if they are re-raised big pre-flop be prepared to give them up, depending on the Villains style, your position, stack sizes etc.
It is a pocket like AQ, pretty to see, horrible to play.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
No, but i play them really agressive but never all in, only if you are deep and ITM

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today, an interesting question appeared on PokerStars social networks: are pocket jacks a premium hand? I think not. I also consider pocket queens a semi-premium hand. What do you think?

Every time somebody cries to me about playing JJ - I ask them how they would have played if they had TT instead of JJ.

Often the same - nobody wants to slow play pocket tens.

Good luck !

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
yes that's right JJ is not a premium pair :), but it's a good pair to see flops:)

alison

alison

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes , but depends of aces ,queens and kings

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you play JJ as a premium hand, you are losing money on poker.
It's a very good hand, but very dangerous if you play it in the wrong way.

X

XsMALsX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a killer hand :p (for you)

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think pocket pair of a Jacks is one of my least favorite pocket pair to start with, I always have so much bad luck with it! :(

mardi1987

mardi1987

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Today, an interesting question appeared on PokerStars social networks: are pocket jacks a premium hand? I think not. I also consider pocket queens a semi-premium hand. What do you think?

Definitely JJ is not a premium hand

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
JJ is not a premium hand in full table.
If you play 2 or 3 handed game maybe a more valueble hand.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No .. unless heads up and you are the dealer.

L

lele128

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a good hand but not premium. I play it agressive but always look up for cards on flop turn and river too..

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is even a meme with JJs. If you play against good players there is always a chance JJs might be beaten easily. It really depends on board and the way you play them.

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider JJ a good hand as well as QQ, TT, 99, AXs, but the premium pairs are AA and KK.

J

junrich40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ

I dont like JJ too much i rather pocket 10's. I always lose with them

T

Tracker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I.M.O. 50/50

I've lost and won. But if u bet high before flop and hope everybody folds and then somebody calls u, then Id be sweating bullets. Ive seen pockets Aces get beat numerous times with low straits and 2 pairs. Matter of fact I was playing in a ACR free roll tournament while replying to this post. Guy sitting to my right went all in with pocket Jacks while I'm typing this. I had called with i think it was Q 9. He lost when I drew a Q on the street!
Oh and f.y.i. for the record Im fairly new at online Hold'em style poker. Im getting to where I will rarely go all in on any pocket pairs unless KK or AA. But wth do I know lol!:jd4::jd4::D

pegasus888

pegasus888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such a trap hand. Even thought you flop a set, it is dangerous.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's been part of my issue that I haven't addressed in this thread. (And is my issue in a lot of discussions -- poker and non-poker.) What do you mean by "premium". That's kind of subjective and hand-wavey, right?

Anyway, JJ is in the top 2.5% of starting hands. The top 10% is pretty wide. Specifically, 55+, A8s+, ATo+.

It's hard to consider "top 10%" as premium when you might only be playing the top 20-25% to begin with. But again, what is "premium"?

Yeah it is a bit hand-wavey and subjective. I guess the hand barely matters how you classify it as long as you play that hand well.

I suppose the only time "premium" really matters is when you construct your hand ranges to include some percentage of "premium hands", "medium-strength made hands", "draws" (both 'good' and 'bad draws) and "bluffs." How good a hand must be to be considered "premium" (or even played for that matter) probably depends on various factors including the Villain(s) range(s). One way of looking at this is an extreme example where you are playing against a super-rock-nit who literally only plays AA. In this extreme example, I suppose even the mighty KK isn't "premium", even if KK will be against most all ranges including any two cards.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess it is a premium hand but it can be beat by other hands. Good luck to all.

Beatlebug

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands