Is patience a requirement for poker?

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can easily say patience and discipline are the most important ones. You need to be able to wait for good spots and that takes a great amount of discipline.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think patience is one of the most important factors in poker. You have to have the ability to wait for the right spots.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is not a requirement for poker, but I think it is already essential for successful poker.

C

chinito2410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is a game where you have to have time and patience to be able to read the opponent's plays and what strategy to use with the cards you have and the ones that appear on the flop.
It is a game where you have to think about each bet to make and where to go all in or not, since it is like a penalty you miss it and you are out.

C

carborun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes patience and developing it is very important especially when you're grinding against strong players. Good players know what a spaz looks like and will punish it when they see it. You can however play tight and have a ton of patience and you will beat a majority of player pools over a large sample. You might not crush, but you'll definitely beat it. There are players who will lose their cool and donk into your AA and KK with 2-10 off suit. It happens frequently especially at the low stakes.. It even happens at high stakes. Jean Bellande and his 5 bet with 53 at Triton is a perfect example of being impatient and losing cool at high stakes.

Just these past two weeks I had a bad run of around 25k hands where I got money in good a LOT and just couldn't win a majority of flips during this portion of my sample.. I was running way under EV. But I kept cool, stuck to my game plan, and played well. I was still able to secure a small, positive win rate during these 25k hands because I played solid and was confident in my edge. This confidence came from studying the game, playing a LOT of hands, and using ALL of the tools available to help me win. And being patient. :)

If you're looking to develop your patience while playing poker I suggest slowly increasing the amount of time you play poker each day. Don't just jump into the mix and try to run a marathon when you haven't completed a 5k yet without stopping. Also- have a variety of non poker related activities with family and friends along with eating well, exercising, and getting good sleep. These are good for the brain and body and things I do to keep my mental fortitude at its peak. One last thing is to write down a game plan and what motivates you and place it in your peripheral while you play. That way when the going gets tough you can dig deep.

Hope this helps you :)

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly, and it may seem, but it is not easy to master the concept

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don’t have patience In Poker,I hope I’m playing at your table

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
absolutely, it is
without patience you have a chance from zero to none

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience (or forbearance) is the ability to endure difficult circumstances such as perseverance in the face of delay; tolerance of provocation without responding in annoyance/anger; or forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties. And yes,yes and yes,it is necessary for to play poker. Or you can improve your bluffing !!! :)

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started off playing thinking I had some patience. I didn't....what I did to help me out was doing more research and sitting back and not playing on purpose. I would force myself no matter what I had to not play. I would instead try to figure out what other players had, by their betting patterns.
Then I would see how they bet and while knowing my cards if I was in the hand what would I maybe do.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, I believe patience is very important to being a good poker player.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it is the most important thing in poker. You have to be able to wait for the right hand and situation to play a hand in poker.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience

Patience is a big part of at least my poker strategy. One must not only be patient by as well (as others have said) combine discipline to your game in order to see better results in becoming a better player. One can't get caught up in all the "bingo players" and even think about calling a big raise without having the cards to back the bet. Yes it is hard at times being frustrated by others play at times when all you want to do is take them out. But be patience and take them for what you can only when you have the hand to back your bet.

Good Luck All :D

zvezdadelije

zvezdadelije

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is. Without it you tilt easy and don't stick to the basics.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't listen to these guys. It's only important if you want to play winning poker.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, Patients is very important in poker.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is, not sure, I do not have any. So hurry up I do not have all day.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Patience is essential in poker, great tournaments are won with patience.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that all the basics of poker are patience, to experience the technique and theory of poker is only possible for those who have patience

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big time...as a testimonial I have tried joining cardschat plenty of times before. And I lacked the patience to believe id ever get access to be platinum. So I kept quitting but when I learned to apply the art of patience. My poker got exponentially better and I got approved platinum. This really means a lot to me

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Everybody! I think, the patience is an one from many qualities, necessary, as for Poker, so and for Life general,
but, and this is a main: an one most of important quality:cool:, by my opinion.:rolleyes:

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience in my opinion is definitely a requirement. When your a maniac and loose it may work to a specific point. But the patience part is the key to wait for a better hand and then taking it to your opponent.

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forced patience is fundamental in poker almost more than luck

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I would say patience / mindset are key to being a winning play in poker over the long term. Not sure how you could do it without it.