Are men superior to women in poker?

R

roguelikeme

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your post sounds sexist.
When the girls start reading it you might hear from a few of them.
The reason there are so few female finalists at poker is simple.
Odds, there is so few female participants compared to male that the odds are a female will not
be at the final table and will not win a largely male dominated field of players.
It's definitely NOT because men are "better".
Reverse it, put 10 men among 1000 woman and I bet those ten men do not make the final table or win.

Wasn't Vicky Coren the first person to win the EPT main events twice? It's pretty unfair to say women don't do well at poker, Vicky Coren (IMO, anyway) is particularly special because she's largely a player through practice in the poker rooms rather than book learning/having a background in advanced mathematics or statistics.

But yeah, thanks for this post. It puts it most succinctly!

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Women are definitely as good as men in poker. As in everything anybody that puts in the time and study can reach the top of their profession. I think the lack of women seen in the top rankings just comes down to the percentage of women to men in the poker world. Just like in tourneys if 80% of the field is male your more likely to see men at the final table. One of the things that need to be fixed in the poker world is trying to make the game more welcoming to new female competitors.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Absolutely not. Poker sees no gender.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The video quality is Shite! But watch her win the 2004 wsop! And watch Phil cry like he still does today! LOL ...Btw, I think Phil's crying is part of his act/imagine..it keeps him relevant, nobody still tilts to this day like that if you have played that long, it is an image (like a WWE wrestler). Back to topic, Annie Duke WSOP champion. If she stuck with it and continued to play, she would of won many more championships. Enjoy

Last edited:
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No.

Unsubscribe.

Silly question.

D

dw112

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No every gender is equal when it comes to poker, to b honest i have actually seen most females have a better poker face than most of the top professionals.

EvaQueen777

EvaQueen777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on which men and which women:D

Szyilard

Szyilard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

I think the behavior of male players at the poker table, i.e. the multitude of intimidation and sexist remarks, may be one of the reasons for the few female contestants. The other is that women prefer to play this game with their hearts.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing to consider is that many men THINK they are superior to women players. This, of course, gives their female opponents a distinct tactical advantage. ;)

felipem29

felipem29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
way of seeing things...

I think everything is based on the way men see the gameplay, how women see it and the way they act, it is quite a complement.
Mostly women are carried away by emotions, on the other hand men think more and meditate more, rather, they have more patience and that's where the key comes from, since women don't have as much patience. Therefore, in most celebrities and champions, men have taken it more. ;);)

P

Pablos144

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's much more common to see a man playing poker than a women.

P

Pablos144

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's much more common to see a man playing poker than a women. So i don't know if we are better or not.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's rare to find woman in the top list of the best poker player in the world! Not even one female got any bracelet in her life! So, what is the secret behind that?
It's even very rare to find a woman in the final table of big events!
Maybe the woman is too much brittle, and doesn’t have the nerves for withstanding the poker pressure.
I notice that women are not good in bluffing, and easy to bluff. Maybe this is one of the reasons.
What do you think?

I realize that women are not good at cheating and easy to cheat. What you say is from your point of view, women are cunning and I think more than men. Soon we will have them in the final tables of Poker but in other world areas hand in hand with the man. There we will see that there is an equality.:cool:

psanto

psanto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Women and men on poker

For thousands of years, women were restricted to few activities, so it's normal if it takes a while so they can be in equal number or somewhere close to what men are. Nevertheless, I believe there isn't any difference about how men and women play. I've heard that women are more difficult to read, to get a tell, but maybe it's because there aren't so many of them. Let's hope that, in a close future, poker may be more equal.

Stabbi

Stabbi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's rare to find woman in the top list of the best poker player in the world! Not even one female got any bracelet in her life! So, what is the secret behind that?
It's even very rare to find a woman in the final table of big events!
Maybe the woman is too much brittle, and doesn’t have the nerves for withstanding the poker pressure.
I notice that women are not good in bluffing, and easy to bluff. Maybe this is one of the reasons.
What do you think?

Well said. As an woman if i am nervous i am losing fast. Also if tpurnament is lobg after some time i just quit and go all in. However couple of times i reach final table, bigest was gor 300 dollars 1 place. And i was third... lost patience. 😀😀😀

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's amazing that women generally play in the same tournaments alongside men. This is not the case in other sports. It would be foolish to allow a giraffe, elephant or doe to participate in horse races. Nevertheless, they play and very well. I was not interested in bracelets for women, but the fact that they are played much less than men is a fact.

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Men are not superior in poker or in any other area, it is because the number of male players is much higher than women. Investigate and you will see that there are a large number of women who are better at poker than you and I could be, only in the cardschat forum more than once I have been eliminated by a colleague, apart from that if you search in google you will find a Maria Lampropulos, Liv Boeree and many others. My sister is a better poker player than me and she still doesn't like to play

TommyT

TommyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely not, if anything it'll be the other way around due to men trying to be 'nice, generous' there is not enough women that play.

diago726

diago726

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only a little, because when they have a good hand they hardly know how to hide it, although I have seen many who are great players.

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This seems like a really odd question. Pretty sexist one at that. While the field is typically dominated by men, plenty of women are equally, if not in many cases, stronger opponents to face, Cards don't card what your gender is. If anything, if you have the mindset of having an inherent advantage over women at the table, prepare to lose. I've seen more often than not people pay off the "clueless" girl who played solid ABC poker in live 1/2 NL because "they didn't think she had it." Respect ALL players at the table, unless the give cause for otherwise.

$0.02

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I do not believe that one gender has an advantage over at having individual skill at poker. There are numerous, incredibly skilled women in poker who have won many events, bracelets, titles, etc. I believe the main reason we see so few women at the tables is due to the number of people playing.

I do however, and would like women's opinion on this, wonder if women are at a disadvantage when sitting in a live game.

As we stated, poker is a male dominated activity in terms of participants. Poker is a game of people and observing. When something is different, for whatever reason, we tend to consciously and subconsciously, pay more attention to it. For example, if I show you a picture of 10 blue orbs and 1 red orb, your eyes are likely to naturally focus on that one red orb.

So I wonder, are women therefore at a disadvantage because other players are more likely to pay attention to their actions and have the ability to pick up on a tell or tendency than they would on another male player? I am not saying women are more likely to give off a tell then men, but could this possibly increased focus on them, make for an unfair playing field?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
One name stands out Vanessa Selbst (USA)—$11.85 million

The worlds number one female player
There are plenty of others including MiMi Tran, Kathy Liebert, Annie Duke, Liv Boeree, Vanessa Rousso, Maria Lampropulos and many many more I would certainly be very careful around these women at a poker table.

mimietmour

mimietmour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One name stands out Vanessa Selbst (USA)—$11.85 million

The worlds number one female player
There are plenty of others including MiMi Tran, Kathy Liebert, Annie Duke, Liv Boeree, Vanessa Rousso, Maria Lampropulos and many many more I would certainly be very careful around these women at a poker table.

Big debate of all time.Woman are good players but their sensibility might block them on the way.

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not Participating

I think the reason, to date, is that women are not as drawn to the sport/hobby/game as men. when more women start to play, they will make the final table and one day win it.