Is Luck the Most Important Thing in Poker?

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it also depends on the level you play.
Obviously if you are playing for big money, be it in the tournament or cash game the luck factor is lower. There is no hacking because of the higher stakes. They play well-structured hands. However, if you have a few thousand or tens of thousands of dollars in front of you that is your money, you are sure to play more judiciously unless you are an oil billionaire.

In contrast, luck has a lot to do with lower stakes, especially in freeroll tournaments. Of course, if you play a lot of freerolls, for example, you can reduce your luck factor.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We can't say that.. for sure "luck" is always there, and even if you take the +EV decisions (the best decision you could make with a specific hand.. either folding, calling or shoving) you might see pretty damn ugly board pos Flop for you... But still, keep your mind in the long run and knowing that whatever happens in this specific game doesn't mean you are not successful just because you Aces lost to a 22. So keep focusing on doing the right moves... That's what professionals do and what I've been trying to work on, and encourage you to do the same
Cheers

P

pattye66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PATIENCE

Most important thing in Poker is PATIENCE!

S

shurik8888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely nope. Luck is the matter of a moment which not last long. Afterwards it is your skill and your recklesness.

S

Seltz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is luck the biggest factor in Poker?

I think that luck is not the most important thing in poker if everyone is playing the ranges that are mathematically stronger. When you play games that not playing this way luck is a way bigger factor. This is because people are gonna play a way larger range of cards. Making things way unpredictable and up to luck.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I think the most important thing about luck in poker is patience and endurance. Luck is secondary.

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck and Patience are your two wings to reach victory

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it luck or variance? If I am all in pre flop and I am at least 58% favorite to win heads up, is it luck or skill whether I win or lose? In mtt these are the critical moments of our tournaments, lose and we are crippled or bust out. Win and we are in good shape. In a tournament this may happen several times.

On the last time it happens are we unlucky to lose that coin flip when it happens?
I don't think I would make the decision any different before the flop if I thought I
am at least 58% favorite against one player.

noLatenzy

noLatenzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think so. You can have a lot of luck in many situations, but anytime it ends.
If luck is the most important thing, then anyone could be a winner poker player.

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is not the most important thing, but we cannot say that it is unnecessary. Skill and patience are very important. But without a little help from luck, we can't get to better positions. I mean the end of the tournament. It happens to me regularly to lose with KA. And my opponent has some bad cards. Still, a dose of luck is needed when playing poker.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely not ! You do need calculated luck to win a tournament . So luck is one factor thats all.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck

luck = preparation + opportunity’s
Short term = luck
Long term = skill

Learn as much as you can and utilise every spot that you can (effectively that is)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Luck is an important factor, but yes is the last of the factors. The most important are the skills, the maths and psycology. Generally as the knowledge is increasing the luck factor is dicreasing.:five:

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
That is what fish think, it has always been like this when you start, then you realize that with a good strategy and emotional control, the odds of winning are in your favor.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that luck has a small amount to succeed in poker.
I don't like to rely on it, I prefer to follow concepts and tactics that work best

Dale Kirk

Dale Kirk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apparently. People will call with 7 2 off suite and suck out. Doesn't make sense to me. At all

I think luck plays a roll but also I need good cards. I mean bluffing is OK once in awhile but there are players who try to buy every pot. So I wait...

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Samplz22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are insane if you think the luck is the key. Ofcourse we all know what they say "hey, thats poker" when the 72o wins AA.

M

mfpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ofcourse no!

we have 52 cards, 9 players (usual), 18 cards on that players hand and 5 on board, we have many combinations but they are limited... so....

B

Bern257

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Twice this morning I got screwed by pocket aces, i wish i was a little bit more lucky.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This will be a debate for a long time 'luck Vs skill'. I was playing a stormers bounty the other day on Americas card room and the cards that I was playing were hitting almost every time from pairs to straights and flushes to boats, it was awesome. After the tournament a lot of the players were saying how good of a player I was, yeah I slow played a couple of hands but the luck of the draw was making it easy for me. Sometimes I bluff hands and take down good pots and i call bluffers that seem like they have that perfect hand but don't. To me I believe luck plays a bigger part then skill, you need your cards to hit to win. :O)

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck is not the most important thing in poker. First of all, it is mathematics and logic - 80-90%. And the rest may be luck

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

No, I don't think luck is the most important factor in poker. You do need some luck of course but skill is more important for long term success in poker.

K

kaktus56rus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO!!!

Luck without skills and experience will not help to achieve t
he result you will play in the negative!

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah luck is everything...

Even if you play good you have to avoid that 20% that they always seem to hit, or 30%..

Even winning flips