Lost Faith In Poker Success

bekbollkz

bekbollkz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker takes a lot of patience. and be able to throw cards on time even if strong hands

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think everyone would love to have a poker career :)
but truth be said its a far from good chance it will happen for most.
Myself what i think is as you get better and finding your making good winnings you will just be in a poker career without striving for the career because of true love & passion for the game.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good to have it as a side activity and have fun with money that you can afford to lose. Other than that I have respect for people who go to the next level.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The funny part, that winning at poker is so hard not because you play against good strong opponents, but because it's RNG based.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone, I am not a professional poker player, but I have been playing for 7 years. everything was during this time. there were gains and losses of bankroll, tilt, depression, work on oneself. after a long break I lost interest in the game, I like poker, but I came to the conclusion that maybe poker is not for everyone. You can play for the soul or for fun at the weekend with friends, but if you decide to pursue a career as a player, I recommend weighing the pros and cons. since a real passion for the game can distract you from real life. Poker game for the young and the daring.

I think people feel this way about a lot of hobbies, especially one that you pay to play. I've been playing for awhile too and my biggest learning was to focus on improving through freerolls and taking poker as a challenge to build a bank roll from scratch. If you play for 'free' and you enjoy the game you feel a lot better about your successes and not nearly as set back by your losses.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you play for 'free' and you enjoy the game you feel a lot better about your successes and not nearly as set back by your losses.

I'm not so sure about this ^ tbh. (I've had a go at both ways)
For myself, when working at building a bankroll via freerolls we'll often really want to protect our winnings and perhaps become an even bigger bankroll NIT where losses affect us to an even greater degree due to all of the hard work & time we put into acquiring that bankroll from scratch. (Phew! that was a longgg sentence!)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think everyone would love to have a poker career :)
but truth be said its a far from good chance it will happen for most.

Yah I don't know about this ^ ... I find it difficult to even register for a session of micro MTT's .... never mind putting in day after day after day of very long sessions. I think most would just enjoy playing for fun. (I could be wrong though... that's for sure)
Myself what i think is as you get better and finding your making good winnings you will just be in a poker career without striving for the career because of true love & passion for the game.
I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding what you're saying here ^
Personally I think maybe if we're able to be winning over the long run in the format of our choice (or formats) it might help to motivate us to put in more time studying and really working hard at getting better. But I think in order to have poker be one's career it takes much more than love & passion for the game but those are two very important points for sure!

One thing that I believe can really help & honestly I think it is CRUCIAL is.... to have a group of peers who you can bounce things off of regularly and to help motivate one another... help to get better... study, teach, coach, learn, play, discuss... etc. etc. etc.
Many of the best players (MTT online) who are still having success in today's poker environment seem to not only be putting in a ton of work on their games but also tend to be doing so with others. You hear this over & over & over from the best players... they'll tell you how good it was to have a group of solid friends along the journey and how big of a difference it made for them.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's funny, ha ha ha LOL LOL. What does it mean :confused:

RNG - random number generator.
I mean that your prime enemy at online poker might be not your opponents, but RNG element of the game.
And maybe that guy didn't realize it, start to think that he's worse then majority of players and quit :flybye:
Wich is ironic, don't you think?

H

hohol97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes in all things we loss any hope. IF you have really problem with game, if it takes a lot of money, you should stop it for one year at least.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never lose hope of making a major hit on tournament, thats the reason I am still playing

Kompany

Kompany

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who succeed as professional players are incredibly skilled and gifted, much more than an average recreational player realizes. It's similar to professional sport like tennis or golf, millions love those games and play them incredibly well, but only the tiniest fraction of a percent of the millions who play, stand even a small chance of making a career out of those sports.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you play just to make money you are already under pressure to win, I never play an MTT thinking I am going to win because the odds are stacked against you straight from the first deal, If you have a huge amount of players in a game, the only thought on my mind is can I make the Bubble?
Once I pass the Bubble, my thoughts then turn to Can I make the Final Table? and if I am fortunate enough to make the Final Table, it is then and only then that I think about winning. Do not place too much pressure on yourself trying to win every game from the start, it is not impossible but highly improbable to win every game.
Being satisfied with making the money should be your first goal, and then making the Final Table would be a bonus, but winning is a fantastic achievement you should be proud of even if it is a one Dollar buy-in or a thousand Dollar buy-in.
I remember my first cash in a free-roll as if it was yesterday, and although it was only 32 cents I was over the Moon! because I then knew I could do it, and anything was possible.
I have been playing over 25 years now and still get a buzz from making the Final Table.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone, I am not a professional poker player, but I have been playing for 7 years. everything was during this time. there were gains and losses of bankroll, tilt, depression, work on oneself. after a long break I lost interest in the game, I like poker, but I came to the conclusion that maybe poker is not for everyone. You can play for the soul or for fun at the weekend with friends, but if you decide to pursue a career as a player, I recommend weighing the pros and cons. since a real passion for the game can distract you from real life. Poker game for the young and the daring.

I came to the same conclusion. Also, poker professionally ends up losing some sense to me and also the pressure is very great.
When I play the game by myself with no money involved I play much better!

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without study reviews and discipline your career will always be in danger
:D

P

Pokerman32750

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right it is not for everybody.. a lot more than the 52 cards in a deck and all of the chips in the game

W

WHAKAORIORI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just need a sponsor to the wsop and all will change �� 50/50 of course!

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The funny part, that winning at poker is so hard not because you play against good strong opponents, but because it's RNG based.
I would go to an income of 3-4K per month and no matter how exactly poker works

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think people feel this way about a lot of hobbies, especially one that you pay to play. I've been playing for awhile too and my biggest learning was to focus on improving through freerolls and taking poker as a challenge to build a bank roll from scratch. If you play for 'free' and you enjoy the game you feel a lot better about your successes and not nearly as set back by your losses.
I am seriously planning on making a living by playing at the time of this writing. Now I can play some tournament with a good guarantee, but not with great anticipation. I started to relate to a difficult game easier and my life with poker became calmer

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not so sure about this ^ tbh. (I've had a go at both ways)
For myself, when working at building a bankroll via freerolls we'll often really want to protect our winnings and perhaps become an even bigger bankroll NIT where losses affect us to an even greater degree due to all of the hard work & time we put into acquiring that bankroll from scratch. (Phew! that was a longgg sentence!)
for myself, I realized that I was not ready to seriously become better in the game, that I had inadequately assessed my level of play, that I was not ready to really work on the game, to work on the psychological component of the game. And now, having realized this all, there is a hope that not everything is lost.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's funny, ha ha ha LOL LOL. What does it mean :confused:
well, it can also be called a loss of faith in one's own strength to reach the level of a professional game, in view of the lack of the necessary volitional qualities

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding what you're saying here ^
Personally I think maybe if we're able to be winning over the long run in the format of our choice (or formats) it might help to motivate us to put in more time studying and really working hard at getting better. But I think in order to have poker be one's career it takes much more than love & passion for the game but those are two very important points for sure!

One thing that I believe can really help & honestly I think it is CRUCIAL is.... to have a group of peers who you can bounce things off of regularly and to help motivate one another... help to get better... study, teach, coach, learn, play, discuss... etc. etc. etc.
Many of the best players (MTT online) who are still having success in today's poker environment seem to not only be putting in a ton of work on their games but also tend to be doing so with others. You hear this over & over & over from the best players... they'll tell you how good it was to have a group of solid friends along the journey and how big of a difference it made for them.
the right environment is definitely a good back-up in any business, it works absolutely in any direction. Maybe I haven’t found the people with whom I’m on my way in poker yet.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RNG - random number generator.
I mean that your prime enemy at online poker might be not your opponents, but RNG element of the game.
And maybe that guy didn't realize it, start to think that he's worse then majority of players and quit :flybye:
Wich is ironic, don't you think?
I play, but as an amateur, a pro, I have not become yet. Over the years, everyday problems reduce the chance of becoming a pro, after all, poker is a game of young and smart, it seems to me

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes in all things we loss any hope. IF you have really problem with game, if it takes a lot of money, you should stop it for one year at least.
There are no problems with money in the game, this is not gambling addiction. Problems with the quality of the game, or rather with its lack and ways to improve it.