Status
Not open for further replies.
LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not just a "slight" underdog. We can go in as a 2:1 dog and still break-even; if we have more than 35% equity in the pot we have an automatic decision.

There are a couple of really good lessons for NL players to learn from limit hold 'em, and arguably the most important one is to stop thinking in terms of "I think he has me beat" because that's only half the information needed. The other is "do I get a good enough price to call?" A limit hold 'em player would never even consider only the first half of that question when pondering a call because it's so obviously silly when you're getting 7:1 odds to fold if you "think you're beat." It gets less obvious when you're getting 2:1 odds in no-limit and some players can do pretty well (but probably not great) just working in terms of "I'm ahead" or "I'm behind" but it will cripple your win-rate because you're folding way too often.

When I was first coached, my coach (Alan Jackson) took a look at my went-to-showdown and remarked that it was pretty high but also noted that because I have a background in limit hold 'em, that was probably alright. The difference is subtle, but someone whose WTSD is high because they're overly optimistic about their chances to be ahead will lose a lot of money. Someone whose WTSD is high because they're making extra calls when they get good pot odds will win a lot of money.

That makes sense FP. It's probably something i'll have to specifically work on at a later date but it's good to see it written down like this. I've never thought it through like that before, it's a very limit hold'em way of thinking that SHOULD be part of everyones NLHE game.

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is anyone else having problems with Full Tilt? The software seems to be lagging this morning - everything else on my pc seems to be working fine.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was first coached, my coach (Alan Jackson) took a look at my went-to-showdown and remarked that it was pretty high but also noted that because I have a background in limit hold 'em, that was probably alright. The difference is subtle, but someone whose WTSD is high because they're overly optimistic about their chances to be ahead will lose a lot of money. Someone whose WTSD is high because they're making extra calls when they get good pot odds will win a lot of money.

HEM has a few stats that relate to that, like river call efficiency.

IveGot0uts

IveGot0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100% with the point about limit play Paulsson. I seriously learned Hold'em from the limit games at Foxwoods. Playing those games you learn to happily raise your open end straight draw when you know you're behind, because you're getting 6 callers. Limit play teaches pot odds, or loses you tons of money. I've also had the same figure of a high WTSD while being very profitable in the NL games, though no fancy folks to tell me that, just Mase31683, who is currently in vegas. Bastard.

KerouacsDog, get comfortable getting it in marginally and very comfortable getting it in as a favorite, no matter how slight(assuming dead money to account for the rake). Your roll will thank you. Also, unless you are rolled very well and planning on specializing in it I'd caution against learning cash games at the HU tables. However, as a tourney player this may be a strength you've built up that will transfer nicely.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HEM has a few stats that relate to that, like river call efficiency.
Yeah, I actually keep that up permenantly to make sure I keep myself in line with optimistic river calls. It's a big fat nice green number. :)

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anybody got any experience/good at using wordpress, looking to move from my blogspot to wordpress

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont play A7os OOP HU especially when ur shortstacking :)
(unless u can 3bet it for value)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anybody got any experience/good at using wordpress, looking to move from my blogspot to wordpress

Talk to IceMonkey9. He did his blog and I believe he helped ChuckTs with his.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah I thought about sean but he seems to have vanished lol

sammyfive

sammyfive

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just thought I'd let you guys know that in last night's home game, I lost to a higher full house for half my stack and then another higher boat to bust out. Unbelievable.
It was rigged :D

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100% with the point about limit play Paulsson. I seriously learned Hold'em from the limit games at Foxwoods. Playing those games you learn to happily raise your open end straight draw when you know you're behind, because you're getting 6 callers. Limit play teaches pot odds, or loses you tons of money. I've also had the same figure of a high WTSD while being very profitable in the NL games, though no fancy folks to tell me that, just Mase31683, who is currently in vegas. Bastard.

KerouacsDog, get comfortable getting it in marginally and very comfortable getting it in as a favorite, no matter how slight(assuming dead money to account for the rake). Your roll will thank you. Also, unless you are rolled very well and planning on specializing in it I'd caution against learning cash games at the HU tables. However, as a tourney player this may be a strength you've built up that will transfer nicely.
ty bud for the advice, as for the 50nl HU, that was a one-off, a site wants to provide buy-ins for me if I can show I can play, so they were watching me for a while, I lost $23 that session, my biggest ever, but they said I played well, as each time I got it in ahead, apart from that one, and then I lucked out. Hopefully they will sponsor me for ring/mtts/sng so I can jump up in stakes.
Back to 5nl/10nl now!

blogs are so old hat jurn, twitter is the way forward(see my sig)
I use gmail blog, what ever that is, blogspot I think! GL

B

Brad_Newf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
GL in 2010 all, hope to see you all on the tables and you all have a great year

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are they watching u play hu cash if they want to stake u for mtts/ring ?

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twitters for celebs + you can write like 1 word in, its like a facebook status and just rubbish!

I like my blog :) but want to expand it, basically like ChuckTs it looks alot cleaner and professional, plus I can put my rakeback site on it too :)

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are they watching u play hu cash if they want to stake u for mtts/ring ?
I have absolutely no idea mate? I feel it might have been a set-up, cause they know I have no experience at it......

twitters for celebs + you can write like 1 word in, its like a facebook status and just rubbish!

I like my blog :) but want to expand it, basically like ChuckTs it looks alot cleaner and professional, plus I can put my rakeback site on it too :)
ah twitters ok, just a bit of fun, Im just moaning cause I cant be arsed to do my blog anymore, but good luck with it all.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lols from 2+2 ssnl ftp regs thread. Slowrolling shortstackers FTW... :D

The Caca Man at 2+2 said:
Full Tilt Poker $1/$2 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

guccigrrl (CO): $217.45
MrCrocop (BTN): $204.45
pifpaf06 (SB): $33.00
lololisuck (BB): $209.00
profplum701 (UTG): $100.00
Hero (MP): $292.25

Pre Flop: ($3.00) Hero is MP with A:club: A:diamond:
1 fold, Hero raises to $6, 2 folds, pifpaf06 raises to $33 all in, 1 fold, Hero requests TIME, Hero says "are aces low?", Hero says "or high in holdem?", Hero calls $27

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quick question for you guys. You're in a one on one situation, against a 18/10/30 player.(6 max) You have pocket KK, you raised 4 bb pre-flop, player called. Flop comes 5,7, Q rainbow. You are out of position...do you lay out a 3/4 pot size bet or check the flop? Then, let's say you bet, player comes back with a 3X raise, what do you do?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quick question for you guys. You're in a one on one situation, against a 18/10/30 player. You have pocket KK, you raised 4 bb pre-flop, player called. Flop comes 5,7, Q rainbow. You are out of position...do you lay out a 3/4 pot size bet or check the flop? Then, let's say you bet, player comes back with a 3X raise, what do you do?

Is this HU? What are stack sizes?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So it's 30bb effective stacks? No brainer shove then.

Status
Not open for further replies.