Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What are some of your guys best tips to a new poker player just starting out and what would you tell them to make them profitable ?
Learn the game of poker. Study the game and theory. Once you think you done, you will need to study the game and theory, and once done with that you will need to study the game and theory........... So why did I repeat this? One of the best things to help you become a winning player is to study and really earn the game and most importantly never stop learning. The game is always changing and evolving.

As for skill and luck.. The game is about the skill. Yes you can be unlucky in a hand but poker is a long term game and skills will be what helps you win long term. Poker is a game of math. AA will love 1 time in 6 in a all in situation. Thats not being unlucky its just the math of the game.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Gain experience first of all. And then being smart and clever you will know what to do.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Study, practice, take notes, correct, keep control of your emotions and do not deposit your money in any room until you trust your game... try to win a few dollars playing freerolls at the beginning and if you manage to collect more than 50USD... .you are ready to play in tournaments.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What are some of your guys best tips to a new poker player just starting out and what would you tell them to make them profitable ?
I can recommend going all-in more often when I limp pocket aces. :ROFLMAO: But seriously, you should try to collect as many stats on all players as possible. Yes, it is difficult and yes it takes a lot of time. But at the decisive moment stats can help you understand whether to call your opponent's all-in on the river or to fold. :unsure:

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need luck with the cards, if it were purely skill then the cards wouldn’t matter.

M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Both of them, you have to know how to play, but you have the lucky percentage too. You don't play long-term, you notice that.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Both of them, you have to know how to play, but you have the lucky percentage too. You don't play long-term, you notice that.
If I take it according to your words, after a trick and deception for the guards I have to run away 🤗

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Hello friends I think it's more skill than luck. But luck also plays a role

TruthFruit

TruthFruit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Bit of both.
In the short term, luck is probably more important. There's more variance.
In the long run, skill becomes a lot more important.
Everyone makes a few bad decision here and there, but it's the ability to be consistant in good decision making (especially under pressure) that makes a great player

R

rufininha14

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Poker is proven not to be luck, one tip I give you to be profitable is to evaluate your game mode, for example, cash game or tournament, choose one and study for that

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I would say you need a lot of knowledge and a little luck,

Learn the math of the game and
don't take it personally when the odds don't go in your favor lest you become a conspiracy theorist and perpetual victim 😎👍

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Luck and skill must go together in Poker. But if you have to choose just one, choose the skill. Skill is a faithful tool, but luck betrays you at all times.
A beginner player must study the fundamentals of Poker and apply these fundamentals to their game. You will need to play a lot to acquire the third pillar, which is experience. Watching games also helps a little but the mental disposition when watching a game to gain experience must be the same as when playing to get real benefit.

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In poker, luck and skill are combined while playing, someone is less fortunate than others. But at a distance, people who play poker well are less dependent on luck and more on skill. Luck is very important in poker, but without knowledge and self-control, you risk losing all your money one day. Therefore, for new people, I recommend that you learn the theory thoroughly before you sit down at the gaming table and start practicing free tournaments or minimum real money game limits.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The game involves luck and skill. In the long term, the luck factor is relevant, but it does not have such a large impact on players' earnings.

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Short term: luck and variance - long term: skill.

If you don't get any good cards, you can have as much skill as you want, you will not be able to win. If you win four out of five hands because You have the best hand, you don't need any skill to take the money of the other players on the table... On the long run: when you make the best decisions most of the time, you will most likely become profitable.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
It includes many factors including luck and skill.

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Study, video lessons, practice, freerolls, psychology and reading people, following the table, the ability to make jokes and, of course, Miss Luck.
Of course, you can do without something, but it's all necessary at the same time for me to be able to play poker well (I'm not saying what to win).

V

ValentinT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
In my opinion i think 60% luck and 40% skills

V

ValentinT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Learn the game of poker. Study the game and theory. Once you think you done, you will need to study the game and theory, and once done with that you will need to study the game and theory........... So why did I repeat this? One of the best things to help you become a winning player is to study and really earn the game and most importantly never stop learning. The game is always changing and evolving.

As for skill and luck.. The game is about the skill. Yes you can be unlucky in a hand but poker is a long term game and skills will be what helps you win long term. Poker is a game of math. AA will love 1 time in 6 in a all in situation. Thats not being unlucky its just the math of the game.
Read as much as you can about poker games ,try to understand the game by playng free games,and after you have ideea how is going try turnaments whit small fees

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
There is always an element of luck involved, otherwise bad players would never win, With 52 cards in a deck that are shuffled and cut after every hand there is no way you can memorize the deck and what cards are going to hit the table, so yes there is Luck involved.
Good players however Know when to hold them, etc, etc, etc, You all know the song.
This is why with some hands you have to raise pre-flop to get rid of the Lucky guys that play a 7/2 off suit and spike Trips or Quads after flopping the nuts. It cuts down the Lucky events from happening to some players, Be honest are you going to call a 2X raise pre-flop with Garbage just to see if you hit a bit of Luck? I certainly wouldn't, Yes I have won some hands with absolute Rubbish in my hole cards, but only because I was on the BB and no-one Raised to make me fold that Rubbish, then they come out betting after the flop trying to get me to fold when I know I am unbeatable at that point.
Patience and Skill will win more often overall, and those two things make a good player Profitable!
Absolutely, you've highlighted a key aspect of poker: the balance between skill and luck. Luck certainly plays a role in the short term, as you've pointed out, with the random distribution of cards making it impossible to predict every outcome.

However, skilled players understand how to mitigate the impact of luck over the long term. They know when to fold weak hands, when to bluff effectively, and when to capitalize on favorable situations. Indeed, patience and skill are crucial in poker, allowing players to make profitable decisions and navigate the uncertainties of the game.

While luck can lead to occasional wins for less skilled players, consistently successful players rely on their understanding of the game, strategic thinking, and ability to read their opponents. It's this combination of factors that ultimately separates the lucky from the truly skilled in poker.