As Nic Vertucci once said, any given hand is luck and long term is skill

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are skilled, you will likely win over the long run but prepared to be destroyed by luck sometimes over short periods of time.

In cash, the variance is lower but it's still quite high. In tourneys, WHEN you get lucky or screwed plays a much larger role in how much $ you win or lose than cash.

E.g., the other day, I had KK vs. QTos all in preflop near the bubble. I flopped a damn set (gave me 97% equity), but then J on turn and 9 on river took away 2/3 my stack. I went from 3rd in chips to 11th. And only the Top Ten cash. How F'ed up is that.

I ended up getting to the FT anyway, but that's one that I probably could have done better had the set of Ks held up.

That's luck for ya. Skill got me to a good situation, but one bad luck hand made a significant difference in how much I won.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
whoever has skill, luck helps....you have to have nerves of steel, aggression and luck, know how to creak hands, lots of pulsh and fold training

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What are some of your guys best tips to a new poker player just starting out and what would you tell them to make them profitable ?
I'm assuming by new poker player you know how to play, more or less, now you just need to know how/where to get started? Cool.
First of all is poker legal in your region? If so, what about online poker? There are a bunch of sites available depending on your region's gaming laws.
Next, you're going to need a bankroll. Actually, this might be the first step. Anyway, I'm not sure of any brick-n-mortar/land rooms that have "legitimate" freerolls (no $ at all required to play) so you'll need a starting roll to play in these. Online is another beast entirely. There are many ways to acquire a starting roll from nothing. If you already have a starting bankroll then kudos!

As far as tips and suggestions there are so many to choose from. But I think if you read every post in the thread, you'll find that the main attribute to profiting in this game that comes up the most is PATIENCE. The hands will come and the chips will roll in. Maybe not all at once but in time.

SKILL is the other attribute. I'm not sure if skill or patience is at the top but they're probably close. Skill comes w/experience which includes studying vids, forums (CC), and all the literature you can find to read as well as playing the game.

There are also poker TOOLS out there to help beginners/novice players. All you have to do is search GTO starting hand graph and everything to give you that poker headache will pop-up on the screen. An onslaught of info is available for that "extra" edge like HUD's and Poker Tracker for your online career.

NOTES on yourself and other players can be quite helpful as well, imo. Instead of dwelling on a really sour beat write down the experience and go over it once or twice as to prevent going on tilt and potentially losing even more.

TIME AWAY from the game can be essential as well, imo, to maintaining a visceral perception of the long-term goal of it all. I don't mean weeks or months at a time away from the game but a day away from the tables after grinding a week or so is helpful. I like to go for a drive w/the wife, check out some small-town diner, look at some old houses in the historical districts. Just get away from poker completely for a bit. 👻

ACCEPTANCE. No matter what happens, whether you win or lose, it's all part of the game. We've all been sucked out on, but we've also been the ones who did the sucking. It's frick and frack, give and take, the ebb and flow of the game. Someone's gotta win and someone's gotta lose. Once you can accept this the game becomes a friendlier arena. Not easier to play, necessarily, just easier to move on from a hard loss.

I hope there's something in all of that up there ☝️ that can help you achieve some profitable sessions. GL and may the flop be with you. ;)

RonanPERNA

RonanPERNA

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me, poker combines luck and skill. Luck in the initial distribution of cards and community cards. The ability to make strategic decisions, read opponents and manage the bankroll is up to each person's skill.

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the advise I would give?

Stop worrying about luck.

You have the same chance at “sucking out” as your opponents.

Poker is about consistency - not luck.

If you approach poker as a game of luck - you will loose a lot of money.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey buddy! You're asking where to start? There have been a lot of good advice here, not much I can add: learn the basics of the game so that you don't get lost. Read, watch streamers, play freerolls (if you don't want to make a deposit), choose your game (what do you prefer - tournaments or cash games, speed of play). Skills come with a large number of games. And develop resilience and discipline - resilience: there will be moves and bad beats, discipline - play within your range and fold hands correctly.

J

Jayinem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I feel like I definitely have some skill but almost zero luck. I'm never the one behind who hits on the river but I'm the one ahead who gets beat on the river. It's frustrating.

If I could change one thing in no limit hold'em, that I bet 99% would protest is if someone hits on the river they have to split the pot with the person that was ahead before the river.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
First you need to study the theory. There is a very good course here on the forum, called: “Become a successful poker player in 30 days.” I recently studied it myself and really liked it. And of course, you need to play a lot and earn experience. Understanding poker as a game in general comes gradually. I've been playing poker for almost 15 years, and still very often I learn something new about this game. In poker, everything depends on you and your skill, and luck plays a very small role. The main thing is to believe in it and not doubt it :).

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
really.... just luck, you are dealt two cards at random, same as your opponents,

your opponents are placed at random

you cant control , you can really only guess.

its all circumstances beyond your control

skill games,,,,,,,chess, golf, ... where your actions are yours and yours alone
Still contains some skill, such as when to play when to fold The judgement on when to make the right move is something that can't be totally down to luck. Although luck is a high factor.
roulette. Now thats luck.
Chess 100% luck. Agreed.
Golf contains a very high level of skill but weather has an impact your game. Even the most skilled pro will acknowledge that.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Learn the game of poker. Study the game and theory , learn bankroll management, Play and learn from your mistakes and get more skills and knowledge .

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's up to the poker gods :) it's all in their hands

T

The_Kid456

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Both. You need skill to be a good player, but even a skilled player can lose due to dumb luck

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
Undeniably, luck plays a significant role in the short term. The distribution of cards, commonly referred to as "the luck of the draw," can heavily influence the outcome of individual hands and even entire sessions. However, over the long run, skill emerges as the defining factor in determining success.
Skill in poker encompasses a wide range of abilities, including strategic decision-making, emotional control, mathematical proficiency, and reading opponents. A skilled player can effectively navigate through the uncertainties of luck by making informed decisions based on probabilities, psychology, and game theory.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Short answer - 70% skill and 30% luck!

Cardshades

Cardshades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a mix of luck and skill. Luck plays a part, but skillful decision-making is crucial for long-term success at the table.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
By and large, players today try to trust luck, so the desire for skills is somewhat blurred. A huge part of the skill required in poker is not to downplay the role of luck - it's worth remembering.Use your knowledge and skills, learn, but listen to fortune - it can bring surprises - both positive and negative.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is part of one and part of the other

kabokinha

kabokinha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
In my opinion, it's more skill, especially at the lower levels, where practically just making profitable decisions makes you do well.