How to tell if you are a good player or not

D

desabled

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the moment, mo matter how good/bad you are, progress is important. If you work on your game - you will be better and the rest have no sense. Well,my advice for TS:
- stop blaming yourself
- stop thinking in such categories,cuz they have a bad effect on your self-esteem :)

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all want to believe that we are smart, good looking, and good poker players, but in reality it's a minority of people who possess each of these individual qualities, let alone the whole package.

For intelligence we have IQ tests, for looks beauty pageants (well, for women only, and then who's discriminated against here, right?), but how can you find out how good of a player you are?

Here is my answer to that question:

If you are mostly surprised by how bad the players who win against you are, you're a bad player.
If you are mainly surprised by how bad the players you win against are, you're a good player.
If you can't tell one way or the other, you are a donk.

PS: Don't feel bad if you found yourself in the donk category. You are still a bad player, but have more fun, and most likely lose less money at the tables than the other bad players who are not donks :)
If you are successful? Always a good chance that you have been crushed anyway. However, do not use this advice as an excuse to play recklessly.

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very difficult question ... After all, there are a lot of influencing factors, luck, opponents, and so on ... Most likely, a good or bad player depends on how much you can earn from poker and win prizes)

C

Chingiz1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe my answer will seem frivolous to someone, but it seems to me if you can fold with two aces and go all inn with 7&2, then you can be considered a cool player:cool:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all want to believe that we are smart, good looking, and good poker players, but in reality it's a minority of people who possess each of these individual qualities, let alone the whole package.

For intelligence we have IQ tests, for looks beauty pageants (well, for women only, and then who's discriminated against here, right?), but how can you find out how good of a player you are?

If you are mostly surprised by how bad the players who win against you are, you're a bad player.
If you are mainly surprised by how bad the players you win against are, you're a good player.

PS: Don't feel bad if you found yourself in the donk category. You are still a bad player, but have more fun, and most likely lose less money at the tables than the other bad players who are not donks :)

Nice posts zinzir, I see you make some nice lists with good added info for people who want more depth. Thank you for that!

I think you make a great point about reactivity and that people who have big reactions to randomness and cards are generally int h less experienced camp.

The best players have seen it all before, know that 1% outcomes are possible and don't let them take them off their game when they happen (it doesn't mean they enjoy losing, but they understand it's a part of the game).

The best players are able to play their A or B game over a very large sample of hands and it's because of this consistency that they can make good money!

darionara

darionara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really good now playing poker is my passion I am very entertained but if I am getting information about videos and books to reinforce my knowledge and to be able to play better poker

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The good think of poker is every one thinks can play :D

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think of myself as a good player or a bad player just a player and every game is different and different people all one can do is improve each day and have fun doing it!:D see you at the tables :)

The Riff_Raff :cool:

A

abe2020

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very difficult question ... After all, there are a lot of influencing factors, luck, opponents, and so on ... Most likely, a good or bad player depends on how much you can earn from poker and win prizes)
Good point! Money talks. If you are playing a very long time and you are an overall winner, you are a good player. Again, there will be about two percent of players who will win no matter what. The opposite is true too. There will be about about two percent of players who will lose no matter what.

M

Marcelobp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its simple ! Make and show your results ! Dont have magic. hahaha

chilindrodolar

chilindrodolar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every player starts from minor, until he gets to play, that's how all of us, who study this beautiful game every day, will have to specialize, to reach the top and earn a lot of privilege. !!!

M

maximburlacu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very simple if you make money you're a good player, if not then you have to learn

H3kf

H3kf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have profit you are a good player

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Indeed, in order to play well you need to learn a lot, find a good coach and go a long way. Unfortunately, I still can’t find my game no matter how I tried. I would like a good coach to help me achieve the result

DTaboada

DTaboada

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really feel stupid when i lose a hand with AA to a guy who goes all in with KJ. the problem is that it happens a lot... So should i be considered a donk????

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider myself a good player, but I have many things to improve !!

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really feel stupid when i lose a hand with AA to a guy who goes all in with KJ. the problem is that it happens a lot... So should i be considered a donk????

No, the guy with KJ is considered a donk :)

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker. (Rounders)

Dmitriy Mishin

Dmitriy Mishin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in order to find out how good you are as a poker player, you need to use the Poker tracker or Hold'em manager 2 and look at the statistics at the distance of played hands of at least 10,000, if all the lines go up the chart, and the red one is 0, then you can congratulate you all good)) you need to use more filters, see your ROI and ITM% of 25 super)

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I really feel stupid when I lose a hand with AA to a guy who goes all-in with KJ. the problem is that it happens a lot... So should I be considered a donk????
No, just unlucky ..

E

enzomyn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In my opinion, regardless of the classification of the poker player, he should improve and even at the apex continue to improve, because I believe that all players are good or bad they get into undue hands and end up being taxed as donkey by players who unfortunately do not know how to differentiate.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice posts zinzir, I see you make some nice lists with good added info for people who want more depth. Thank you for that!
I think you make a great point about reactivity and that people who have big reactions to randomness and cards are generally int h less experienced camp.
The best players have seen it all before, know that 1% outcomes are possible and don't let them take them off their game when they happen (it doesn't mean they enjoy losing, but they understand it's a part of the game).

The best players are able to play their A or B game over a very large sample of hands and it's because of this consistency that they can make good money!

Thank you for your kind words, Evan. Sorry it took me a long time to reply to your post, somehow I missed it until today.
I agree with everything you said about randomness, but what I was trying to say in my post was independent of it.
Here is what I said:

"If you are mostly surprised by how bad the players who win against you are, you're a bad player.
If you can't tell one way or the other, you are a donk."

And this is what I meant by it:
As a bad player, you mistakenly consider your opponents being bad players. In reality, the majority of the players constantly winning against you with inferior starting hands are actually superior players hustling you. They noticed you are always playing a certain range of starting hands and are playing passively enough to give them good odds to play all kinds of hands against you, and fold as soon as you improve but bet for value when they improve. The end result is you seeing the river only when you lose, most of the time to an inferior starting hand.
The good player is the reverse of the coin, the actual hustler, "surprised" by the opponents described above basically handing him their money while calling him a bad player at the same time.
Now, the donk, my own species. As a donk, making grossly over sized bets and going all in pre flop or right after the flop aka betting big with more cards to come, you essentially force your opponents to either call or fold, so the best you can do about your opponents is assess how tight they are, but not how good they are. So at the end of your sessions, based on the way your opponents played against yourself, you can't really tell who was a good player and who was not.

Of course, my original post was intended to be just a funny observation and not a real tool for self assessment.
By the way, I came up with a formula that I think is helpful for freerollers to self assess if they are ready to consider a jump to buy-in MTTs. If you have time, I would appreciate your opinion about it. The OP is about a gross retrospective estimation, my second post in the thread explains how to accurately calculate "imaginary buy-ins" for tournaments you know the exact number of players.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/you-a-winning-freeroll-player-459393/

Thanks in advance :)
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Danximo

Danximo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Judging by the fact that I don't make money playing poker, I'm not a very good player.But I do not lose heart and continue to play, hope dies last as they say.

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you're so good player, where is your money

F

Frank7Chipman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Who is the Pigeon

As Matt Damon said in Rounders, if you sit at the table and don't know who the pigeon is, you are the pigeon.

Poker Tells