How to tell if you are a good player or not

S

Shantri333

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you in tune with your intuition, and not afraid to call an all in with 4 5 suited !

M

MaxMill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all want to believe that we are smart, good looking, and good poker players, but in reality it's a minority of people who possess each of these individual qualities, let alone the whole package.

For intelligence we have IQ tests, for looks beauty pageants (well, for women only, and then who's discriminated against here, right?), but how can you find out how good of a player you are?

Here is my answer to that question:

If you are mostly surprised by how bad the players who win against you are, you're a bad player.
If you are mainly surprised by how bad the players you win against are, you're a good player.
If you can't tell one way or the other, you are a donk.

PS: Don't feel bad if you found yourself in the donk category. You are still a bad player, but have more fun, and most likely lose less money at the tables than the other bad players who are not donks :)

I think as everything its all results oriented...

If you are a good player you are a winning player over a long period of time, Anything else is delusion ;)

Z

zokiusa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:)

If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker.

M

Madragalahad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When people are assessing themselves and others as poker players, they always seem to be focused on whether the cards fall their way when they have the best starting hand. Never anything about running a successful bluff, which is one of the best ways of exploiting over-cautious players, or reading your opponent well enough to spot when they are bluffing - much easier to do in live games! If you want to be a truly good player, you must learn to excel in many different aspects. As others have said, results over time is the only true measure of the strength of your game.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most players think they can't be beaten, the only reason they louse is that the other person got lucky! This is the prison of there own mind!

M

Madragalahad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you in tune with your intuition, and not afraid to call an all in with 4 5 suited !

Well, there are situations where that's a good play - like if you're heads up at the final table with a 12/1 chip lead, or you're so short-stacked that your big blind next hand will account for most of your chips anyway, but unless your intuition is hotwired to the Poker Gods, I reckon it'll lose you money.

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start to play poorly and tilt after an offensive loss , it is better to block myself for a day after a bad session and continue with a fresh head)

T

tolayn83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything is relative here. Among my friends, I am a top player. And among professionals I’m a so-so player. :D

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Good and bad is relative.
Sometimes you play your A game and lose.
Sometimes you are playing C level poker and winning plenty of hands.
If you are enjoying the game then you are probably a winner.

podoloboq

podoloboq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, the game has major winnings or loss, and attitudes towards people)):flute:

zhivko358

zhivko358

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
scale from 1 to 10 for which I think it is important to refer to bank management I set to 5.5. Permanent players are good players:):):).Keep playing and watching poker in the long run

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In relation to the question how to know if you are a good or a bad player - what do you think about players who during tournaments start ranting and getting at other people? I know there's an easy solution - just mute them in the chat. But still.. What's wrong with them?

Obrudzsahad32

Obrudzsahad32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just a player! Not a good player!!:D:D

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything is relative here. Among my friends, I am a top player. And among professionals I’m a so-so player. :D

You should make friends with more professionals then :D

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm an average player and I just play my game. You never know what type of persons you're going to get, so that's why theories don't always work.
At the end of the day, someone told me Poker is a game of luck, first and foremost. The rest is practice, skill, some anticipation and clever play. Especially, knowing when to fold or bet!!!

O

OLexZTS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your ev will say everything for you and the dollar / hour

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never been, am not and will never be a good poker player, and I have been playing for 50+ years.
But I love poker, always have and always will, never win a lot never lose a lose but I enjoy it and will as long as I can.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i'm a average player but i'm better then the most begginers. I still have problems with my emotional inthe game and when to fold a comited loosing pot.

C

ccipak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is played against players no matter what the cards are getting, meet your opponents or you will surely beat them, the problem is that players are constantly changing at the table as BB eats your chips quickly

Mohamed48

Mohamed48

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Five years I've been playing poker and still find myself a beginner

L

lusquinha2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll never be a "good" player. What makes you a "good" player is playing certain hands like a pro or folding top hands/pairs in difficult situations and making the right decision

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to tell if you are a good player or notReply to Thread

I'd like to think i'm a good player but more than likely somewhere inbetween Poor and Good.
Perhaps mediocre? Certainly lots of room for improvement so I study every day.:icon_king

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to make right decisions at the right times. Need to make tough play downs at the right times as well. I dont play enough live to even think I am a good player. I play poker cause i like the game, also so I learn from mistakes I have made in tournaments.

Poker Tells