How much poker is too much?

jre1106

jre1106

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To much poker only comes when it interferes with other aspects of life. Around 10 years back I played as a hobby but let it consume me. I was playing online much of my free time and neglecting my wife and child. I had to take a step back and now only play when time permits. You just have to balance time wisley.

cubons

cubons

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess when you don't enjoy it anymore! Otherwise it's always fun and games[emoji1]

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i may be at that point you were 10 yrs ago.. I don't think there has been a day that has gone by that i can remember in the past year were i haven't played a game of poker.. whether it be online or live cash.. I think i need to take a step back. :(

I find reading the posts on this forum brings a lot of things in perspective that you know are there.. we just don't acknowledge them unless we notice other people experiencing the same thing.

To much poker only comes when it interferes with other aspects of life. Around 10 years back I played as a hobby but let it consume me. I was playing online much of my free time and neglecting my wife and child. I had to take a step back and now only play when time permits. You just have to balance time wisley.

D

Deemajor44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL I remember playing online an becoming so tired after hours and hours but its just so much fun!!!:D

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its to much poker if it hurts your health or relationships.
This is where I’m at. When I first started playing for next to nothing, my wife hated all the time I spent. When I started making money from it, she saw all that grinding was meant for something. I remember she would get irritated if I was playing video games instead of tourneys on the weekends. The first year it paid for our kids Christmas, everything changed.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everyone has his own measure. If you get pleasure from the game with this schedule and you get $ 1000- $ 2000 per month to a bank account, then most likely its normal. =)
If you dont make money on this, then you need to change something.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I know the feeling. I played like that religiously even added booze. It was just to get a job. All the material things fell into place. You just need to tip off the right people. They not going to give you more money then you need. They don't get to go out much either.

mistershrimpy

mistershrimpy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if your main goal is poker, and not real life, then it's time for you to take a break, bro. This is more important than the game.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know exactly "how much poker is too much", but I do have an idea of how much is enough. Actually it's quite simple, when your responsibilities are diminished or you forget important things to dedicate yourself to an activity (be it poker or any other), then you've had enough.

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself at times losing tournament after tournament then winning one here and there before I know it day has turned to early morning:0) Five hours of sleep and I am back at it again maybe three to four days at a time:0) Is this normal:0)
Too much poker is when you start to play too lose,and when you couth yourself when you dont play your A game.Everybody have downswing too so dont be upset,just play good and you start winning again.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much poker is when you start to play too lose,and when you couth yourself when you dont play your A game.Everybody have downswing too so dont be upset,just play good and you start winning again.
Thanks man and good luck out there
icon7.gif
icon14.gif

J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play a little bit less and get a rest

I guess you should get a rest of poker cause if you say you are sleeping just five hours that is not normal and I could bring consequences for your body and your mental health so get a rest and don't worry have fun on the poker table if you study and practice and you have fun you will probably win I think that is the key to be better at poker. If you think you are not playing your best game just forget poker a couple of days and spend time with family or friend do what you really want to do and then when you play poker again you will probably play better and you are gonna feel everything is going well.

try to play 4 hours at day, don`t try to play many table at the same time and don`t forget get a rest even the the best players in the world need it.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd recommend setting a stable schedule, max 8 hours a day. Either you bust out of your regular buy-ins or you hit that 8 hour time limit. Don't double down because of tilt especially when you're tired and already not feeling hot.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have to ask that question - you are playing too much.

And 5 hours of sleep is not enough.

J

JamesL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Man even the greatest poker players have loosing streak, i think the best to do is analyse you played and try to adapt some plays, download poker tracker (analysis) or universal replayer (watch the how you played all along) the best way to get better is learning from your mistakes. And i know it`s hard but when you loose don`t start with "i will play till i recovery" you will get broke, have discipline to control your bankroll.

I definitely agree as I have gone that road. If you really love poker, you gotta love to play as much as you love to learn it, your mistakes, your opponents. Sitting at a table and constantly play is only half part of the game.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I did have a bankroll, jumping from one tournament to another, I think this is not normal ) it is Normal to grindal on Saturdays and ride Sundays, and everything else is probably game Cache on the limits of the Bankroll and the SNG with the Spins. Thank you!

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be well prepared both physically and psychologically, because you will face different rivals in style of play.
You can play well throughout the tournament, but lose the final. And sometimes, you lose, just because it's not destiny.

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite simply it is necessary to strike a balance. Again, in a good situation MTT tournament lasts around 9 hours, after, it is necessary to have a rest at least a day.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it can keep me up late sometimes. Everything in moderation is my rule, as fun as it can be playing poker, you need balance..

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Like sleeping time, each person has their own. Playing a lot is very good for improving your game, no doubt about it, but if you play too much, the quality of your decisions fades away. The problem is that we tend to overlook this. The reason says to stop, but the emotions and the desire to get even says, strongly, to continue. You must be very careful.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is probably quite unhealthy for the mind and body to sit and play poker for long hours like that. Possibly it leads to high blood pressure or depression. Just sayin

mistershrimpy

mistershrimpy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself at times losing tournament after tournament then winning one here and there before I know it day has turned to early morning:0) Five hours of sleep and I am back at it again maybe three to four days at a time:0) Is this normal:0)
I bluff sometimes. But on the microlimits where I play, in most cases the bluff does not give a good result and very often people continue to fight for the bank. It's all about the limit of the game =)
But in sit n go games of $ 1-5, bluff brings a positive result much more often. Although it’s worth bluffing wisely.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is probably quite unhealthy for the mind and body to sit and play poker for long hours like that. Possibly it leads to high blood pressure or depression. Just sayin
i have learned to give the game a couple days rest at a time:0) and thank god i am not one who can sit still for to long. thanks for the careing and sharing:0)

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You sound like my subconscious speaking.

If you are playing for your livelihood, the answer is never too much.