How much poker is too much?

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself at times losing tournament after tournament then winning one here and there before I know it day has turned to early morning:0) Five hours of sleep and I am back at it again maybe three to four days at a time:0) Is this normal:0)

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man even the greatest poker players have loosing streak, i think the best to do is analyse you played and try to adapt some plays, download poker tracker (analysis) or universal replayer (watch the how you played all along) the best way to get better is learning from your mistakes. And i know it`s hard but when you loose don`t start with "i will play till i recovery" you will get broke, have discipline to control your bankroll.

Aestheticzz

Aestheticzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself at times losing tournament after tournament then winning one here and there before I know it day has turned to early morning:0) Five hours of sleep and I am back at it again maybe three to four days at a time:0) Is this normal:0)

There is no such thing as too much poker :D

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Number one. Who dictates what normal is? Number two. How much is too much?? As far as I am concerned, if it feels good and it is not taking away from important aspects of your life than I don't see the harm in it. Important aspects might be your social life, your health, physical and mental. Is this lifestyle causing you issues at work?? Sometimes it's really good for a person to give themselves a break from an area in their life that might be somewhat extreme. For instance, averaging over 12 hours of poker a day. Don't get me wrong, if you are striving to be a professional poker player than playing 12 or more hours of poker a day may not be so extreme. That being said, I am pretty sure that even the top players in the world have to take a physical and mental break ever so often. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't be some of the top players in the world. I guess what I am trying to say is that an individual needs to try to find that balance that works best for them. What works for me may not work for you, but no matter what I believe that it is definitely important to try to find that balance. I hope that this may help you to become a better player in the long run and good luck!!!

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found when I began planning life around daily tourneys I needed a break

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is really important to establish if Poker is a hobby or a job for you. If it's a hobby than you shouldn't be playing like that. Unless your binging on a holiday weekend like you would when a new video game comes out. If it's a job then you shouldnt be playing more than 8-12hrs 5-6 times a week. If poker has taken over your ability to prioritize and perform normal tasks like chores/work or spending time nurturing relationships with family and friends. Than it's time to start contemplating addiction.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HEY THANKS GUYS:0)

It is nice to know that there are some people out here that been through some of the same things that I am going through or just willing to help with a comment:0):D will take the advice and chill sometimes but keep that cowboy in me:0)

jkgotsit

jkgotsit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much poker?

I believe that you are able to play as long as you are feeling mentally sharp. Keep in mind its phycological warfare so you need to be sharp hydrated and food in your belly. Also I find exercise is important healthy body healthy mind!

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel like you've been playing too much, take a break. A few days off of activities unrelated to poker can help replenish your drive to play. I would go outside, explore, exercise, meditate, socialize etc. Anything to get your mind off of your bad streak.

Then after a few days or a week, if you're feeling better and more optimistic about playing, I would jump back in.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is not enough time in the day to have to much poker. Every now and then it is good to take a break from the game and come back fresh with a new outlook on the game and a fresh start. I wish I had more time to play.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's different for every player, you have to find the correct answer for you.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It can be. But you need to look at the bigger picture in your life. If you are shutting out other activities you used to enjoy while not really enjoying the poker grind, it may be time to step away and get some help.

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much poker is when it's interfering with your personal life and responsibilities. At that point, it's now an addiction, and should seek help if it gets to that point.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to rethink your poker game. Develop an action plan for the day. Take the time to play and analyze your hands. If you cannot be in the positive, then reduce the game time and the amount of money for the game.

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play 13 hour days before. I don't do that because of tilt. I think once that it becomes unenjoyable you should give it a break. I don't think most people play that long unless they are playing to pay bills or something.

Tihiy2017

Tihiy2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I noticed that poker takes a lot of free time for personal life is not enough.

G

goodgaffer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Time

Hello! How much time should be spent per week on poker so that it is useful for the game?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! How much time should be spent per week on poker so that it is useful for the game?

Very much depends on how much free time you have to dedicate to poker. No point investing 30 hours a week if 20 of those hours your thinking about other things you need to get done. split the time you have available for poker between 75% playing 25% studying.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Howdy:0) because I am trying to make my poker playing a legit part time income I play 50 to 60 hours a week at times but after reading and chatting with others I need breaks here and there:0)

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Howdy:0) because I am trying to make my poker playing a legit part time income I play 50 to 60 hours a week at times but after reading and chatting with others I need breaks here and there:0)

Yeah thats a lot of time playing for a part time income and a lot of play to analyze each week. Saying that wish ihad 60 hours free to play each week.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah thats a lot of time playing for a part time income and a lot of play to analyze each week. Saying that wish ihad 60 hours free to play each week.
it has gotten rough at times but I have been working on my game and been playing more then usual:0) since here lately have toned down a couple hours here and there:0)

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play as much as you like, it can only be too much poker if it starts to negitively effect other parts of your life.

If you are doing it as a way to make money, and you are profitable, then the more you play the more you make. You will need to take some time off at some point tho and enjoy your winnings :)

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play a few hours a week. I play for relaxation and don't have time to play much more.