How long can a person play poker?

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an interesting question, and is the apex of what Poker is about... The game is not for the swift alone, but for those who can endure till the end.
The application to current poker tournaments in terms of length and even format, where it comes to "staged" and "qualifier" games leading to another game, theoretically, could have a person playing for 24 hours or more...
My "effective time" is 3 hours or 4 at best.
I have seen folks using a technique of sitting out during games, to lengthen their playing time capacity, but I have always considered that having a back up player is a better strategy... like a tag team in wrestling.
Personally though, I believe a person should be aware what they are signing up to do, and be ready, with appropriate snacks, and smokes and drinks,,, Love!

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing for 9 years and am not going to stop. for some poker game of a lifetime I relate to them ..

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
12 hours

It usually between 12-14 hours for me and that is only ive been active playing for weeks, but after a long break after few hours im already exhausted, so i believe that its is very essential to keep that poker mentality on by playing regularly and keeping a good bankroll so you can play regulary as well.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
the duration of the game with maximum concentration depends on your physical fitness for me 12-16 hours of play is quite normal !!!
the current format of tournaments is quite fine with me, as now many sites offer different tournament formats from regular to hyper-turbo !!!

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Each person has his limits ,I can answer only for myself and the most time I can handle is 4-6hours .

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker tournament rules seem fine, part of playing poker is staying sharp and going the distance. Late in the game if you get tired suck it up. The final table should have 4 hr break before it starts and then only bathroom breaks every two or three hrs until there is a winner. Cash games can go for days, if you get tired get out and try and come back later.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course we are all different regarding focus and sitting around from sometimes boredom. My longest online were all nighters on a weekend when first getting started. As far as live, went through a slow down at work that allowed a three day weekend. Was playing on a Friday or Saturday from about 10:00 PM to the next late morning. Those were very enjoyable and did well for my time there.

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In best shape, it depends on if you eat and drink enough, have enough brakes, how long the brakes are, maybe forever ;).

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 12-16 hours daily, and I think this is the amount of time you have to be prepared for, when you play a big tournament like the sunday million or any other event with 10k+ players and deep stacks.

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me 8 hours or 10 hours per/day its enough...after i become tired, and start to make bad decision.
some of live tournament can be 12 hours per/day.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 12 hours every day for a week is fine if poker is a job.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I played my first big live tournament which lasted 11 hours with breaks, which was 9 hours of poker (there was a long dinner break) and that was already a bit too much. I was so tired at the end and I had to drive home after that, which was even more exhausting.
But I made it to Day 2 so that's a positive.

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is recommended 4 to 6 hours since a lot of time is harmful to the eyes and the game, because as time goes by we lose lucidity

B

bitterkalt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my longest poker game was 10 hours

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously this, 115 hours, I would not get to stay awake for 24 hours.
Hello.
I only play poker when I have free time, but no more than 5-6 hours a day. In the Guinness Book of Records, this record is about 115 hours.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The duration of my game depends on my mood. If I am in a good mood, I can play for 4-5 hours. But no more. If I play for more than 5 hours, I just lose interest and concentration.

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion 8 hours is the most optimal time. Next we need a big break. If you play more, then you lost concentration.

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My longest session was 48 hours with some 10-15 minute breaks and a 2 hour nap. Sometimes I just do extended sessions to train my ability to concentrate when I'm fatigued. A find a lot of value in that ability that applies to situations beyond the table as well.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think after the sixth hour your body requires a better level of preparation to perform at a high level. I would say about 6 to 8 hours. Anyone who can be well prepared after that certainly has an advantage over the field.

A

Alfaomega

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the most is 5 hours with breaks

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very interesting question. I read comments and I want to find a compromise.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I prefer online games no longer than 4 hours. I get very frustrated with the slow pace of many of the players, and don't understand why they do that even if they multi-table. Along those lines I prefer online Turbo games.
For live poker tournaments, I'll play as long as necessary to get to the final table. A lot more action and reasonable play. I find it much more stimulating. Good luck

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online i have never played for more than 4 hours and i find it the maximum to retain my concentration. Live i have played once for around 8 hours in MTT with one long break for 30 minutes and few short ones and at the end i was definitely tired.

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think 6 hours with 15 min break every hour its optimal

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More than 4 hours is quite difficult. There are ridiculous mistakes. Breaks are needed