How do you maximize luck?

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes when I am all-in I don't look at my screen because I don't wanna see the cards. But it doesn't seem to be helpful ;)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I haven't looked at the table before, closed my eyes and hid so as not to see defeat now I take it for granted I look at the screen and see what I don't want to see and silently just leave the table

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Luck is a term we use when we do not understand what is going on.
It's a bit like "Magic". Things seem like magic until you understand the mecahnisms at play.
Then you realise there is science and illusion, but no magic at all.

It is the same thin with Luck. There simply isn't any. You attribute a random event and feel a need to explain that event. If you lack the knowledge and ability to interpret the meaning, then, you call it luck.

In poker, we like to talk about probability. Over the short term, the numbers (results) don't quite match the long term results. Over the long term, results and probabilities get closer. In the short term, there simply aren't enough samples and we call the divergence from expected probability VARIANCE.

Now, we usually use the term variance to explain why our results under-perform against probability...but truth be told, it also explains why it might be higher too...we just never question our wins as much as out losses.

So...the bottom line:
You are here to learn, to apply maths, psychology AND INTEL in order to come out on top.
You need to stop believing in fairy tales.
If you need some tips on how you too can *appear* lucky, here are some tips:

1. Study the game sufficiently to reliably make +EV plays.
  2. Gather and document as much intel on your opponents as possible.
  3. Identify weaknesses in opponents' games and document them. (Habits too. Who limps Ace rag? Who always shoves AKo?
  4. Seek to exploit those weaknesses.
  5. Stick to your game plan.
  6. Look after your stack.
  7. Be cognizant of position.
  8. Be cognizant of viallain ranges.
  9. Pay attention to VPIP, PFR, 3B, CB, FCB, F3B stats.
  10. Don't get married to your pre-flop hand. Post-flop, things can change.
  11. Limp only infrequently. Punish the limpers.
  12. Use aggression to put pressure on opponents.
  13. Heavily defend your BB early
  14. Play tight, especially when against a table of loose players.
  15. Play a bit wider against a table of tight players.
  16. Have 3 and four bets in your arsenal.
  17. Play trappy against loose players. Aggressive against tight players.
  18. Donk infrequently (respect position unless there is a compelling reason not to.)
  19. Don't bet on rubbish from early position.
  20. Don't be too tight from later positions.
  21. Don't bluff a fish/call-station. Don't over-bluff.
  22. If your bluffs never gets caught out, you're not bluffing enough.
  23. Never show your cards unless there is a tactical reason to do so.
  24. Don't make enemies at the table.
  25. Do not expect fish and regular folk in Freerolls and micros to behave as "good players" might.
  26. DO NOT TAP THE TANK!!!
  27. Compliment players who make poor plays that get good results. (ie encourage the bad play). "Nice Hand!" "You're a rock!" etc.
  28. Be considerate of effective stack sizes.
  29. watch how people use the clock. identify who uses the clock to appear strong/weak.
  30. Avoid passive play pre-flop. If you cannot justify a raise, are you sure you can justify being in the pot?
  31. Avoid getting squeezed.
  32. A crappy hand vs one villain has a better chance of winning than a good hand against multiple players. Be more selective about the multiway pots you enter.
  33. Big Bet = Poor hand, small bet = good hand? Nope.... that is is a load of rubbish. This might be true against absoluite noobs, but for knowledgeable poker players, that is not how bet sizing works.
  34. Maximise value. When you have strong/nutty hands, you want to bet the most you can which poorer hands will still call. Don't just blindly half pot every bet. Be considerate of who the opponent is and how much they're likely to part with to see if their hand improves.
  35. Bet your draws.
  36. Make your bet sizing considerate of position, previous actoins and action to follow. Try not to peg your bet sizing to pre-flop hand stength. The last thing you want is for your villain to have a direct mapping of your bet sizing to hand strength.
  37. No set, no bet....excepot for sometimes.
  38. DO NOT slow play...or at least only occassionally., Just enough for people to know you *can*,
  39. Do not overvalue top pair,
  40. Do not undervalue second pair.
Bonus: Don't do any single thing the same way every time. You need to mix it up a little.
You need to be unpredictable. Once a villain knows what your behaviour means, they can use it against you, But if you have some variety, you can
always keep them on their toes and uncomfortable.

So THAT is a starting point for my LUCK LIST.

Work on that and your luck should improve dramatically.

Cheers,
JT

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
And just to be clear...when I say Do not....or AVOID...I do not mean NEVER.
Any play may be done at least infrequently...
I think there is room for every tool in the poker toolbox, but some tools only are needed for special jobs!

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are too many emotions, I do absolutely nothing, no gestures, prayers and amulets
although I need to try something:rolleyes:

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to use lucky charms, but since my game improved, I don't use them anymore. I have a lot of confidence in my decisions and it's the best thing I have for good luck.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm just trying to be patient. I am sure that my patience has a positive effect on my luck. Patient players always have better results.

rvicente13

rvicente13

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
whenever I go all in I chew a garlic, thus avoiding the bad luck of losing to vampires

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Many nice answers by other CCers but the one and only answer is: Volume! ;)

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey peeps!

You guys do something to have lucky? Use an amulet? Cross fingers? Think too much before a bet/call asking for the programmers to give you a card? Pray?

I just minimize the poker table :sick:
I do none of the above. I think it's all pointless and even makes your game worse, because you're constantly distracted by all these superstitions. You can't increase your luck, you can only increase your skills)

valen.bs.95

valen.bs.95

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
No, I'm just losing with dignity.
Sometimes I give the middle finger to the cards on the table. Although, it turns out it violates the rules if you do it publicly.:D
You just need to show it on the monitor 😀

Highfish

Highfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Install Teamview and let your personal voodoo master monitor your sessions. Problem solved. ;)

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The best luck in online poker, at least my experience in PS, is to have more chips than your rival, the more chips you have the more luck you will have with the program or whatever decides what cards to roll in PS.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey peeps!

You guys do something to have lucky? Use an amulet? Cross fingers? Think too much before a bet/call asking for the programmers to give you a card? Pray?

There’s no such thing as maximize luck. What exists is the minimax, a theory that dictates that we should have theory and methodology to maximize our winrate and minimize our losses, i.e., we are going to diminish the effects of luck in the long run, but we can never control it.
We are going to do our best, in cash games e.g., choose a good table that fits our style, steal the blinds, play in position versus weaker opponents, control the pot, have a solid mindset and bankroll, study and analyze hands played alone and here in the forum, etc: this is how we do apply the MINIMAX, to reduce the effects of luck using logic means not personal beliefs such as crossing fingers or some kinda of magic.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey peeps!

There is one way to guarantee an increase in your good luck, unfortunately most find it impossible to do. You simply acknowledge suckouts that benefit you as luck instead of viewing them as skillful play on your part. As I said, nearly impossible to do.;)

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think luck is relative. Better learn the game 😀
You can have 99% chance of winning and still lose. When i make the post i was going an unlucky phase kkkk

robinschudl

robinschudl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to approach every game responsibly and I approach with consideration

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Luck is a term we use when we do not understand what is going on.
It's a bit like "Magic". Things seem like magic until you understand the mecahnisms at play.
Then you realise there is science and illusion, but no magic at all.

It is the same thin with Luck. There simply isn't any. You attribute a random event and feel a need to explain that event. If you lack the knowledge and ability to interpret the meaning, then, you call it luck.

In poker, we like to talk about probability. Over the short term, the numbers (results) don't quite match the long term results. Over the long term, results and probabilities get closer. In the short term, there simply aren't enough samples and we call the divergence from expected probability VARIANCE.

Now, we usually use the term variance to explain why our results under-perform against probability...but truth be told, it also explains why it might be higher too...we just never question our wins as much as out losses.

So...the bottom line:
You are here to learn, to apply maths, psychology AND INTEL in order to come out on top.
You need to stop believing in fairy tales.
If you need some tips on how you too can *appear* lucky, here are some tips:

40 TIPS

Bonus: Don't do any single thing the same way every time. You need to mix it up a little.

You need to be unpredictable. Once a villain knows what your behaviour means, they can use it against you, But if you have some variety, you can
always keep them on their toes and uncomfortable.

So THAT is a starting point for my LUCK LIST.

Work on that and your luck should improve dramatically.

Cheers,
JT
Anyone who is doing all these 40 things during every single session surely will go insane at some point (if they aren't already) :unsure:

E: Double looked that list and there are obviously way too many things where i am actually doing the exact opposite lol

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Anyone who is doing all these 40 things during every single session surely will go insane at some point (if they aren't already) :unsure:

E: Double looked that list and there are obviously way too many things where i am actually doing the exact opposite lol
Dude...that's just the TOP 40. There are loads more things to consider!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey peeps!

In order to increase your chances of success, you must be able to learn from your own mistakes. This skill will allow you to really increase your chances of luck.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game selection is a skill that maximizes luck.