Hellmuth doesn't seem to understand that bluffing is part of playing poker

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right! Cuz da proz only play top10 hands pre & are real tight but'll call off 200bb's with TPTK &/or Overpair.

da Proz can't think on multi-levels & they don't adjust to others on da table ever.

It sure blew out Farha!

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think this hand is anything but standard when it's HU I would suggest watching a lot more HU hands :)

You go in with a 45 in head's up? odds are, you will lose most of the time.
Unless you mean bluffing to take down pots is a big part of HU?

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You go in with a 45 in head's up? Odds are, you will lose most of the time.
Unless you mean bluffing to take down pots is a big part of HU?

He didn't go all in pre with 45. He called a raise from the bb and flopped two pair. Definitely standard call when it's HU and button/sb is raising almost atc.

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He didn't go all in pre with 45. He called a raise from the bb and flopped two pair. Definitely standard call when it's HU and button/sb is raising almost atc.

Who raises pre-flop with 45? Blufffing is for iron balls.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Hellmuth is a thoroughly unlikeable brat, but he has several million bucks of other people's poker money and a dozen wsop bracelets, so I would assume he knows his shit.

D

dead homie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when poeple win there happy someone gave them action and easy chips, when they lose they cry about it. some people just want every hand to go their way or they cry about it.

GOTHEART

GOTHEART

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil will never change! He gets too emotional and I think he can't control that. Some people are emotionally ill.

Too bad because I think he often later regrets what came out of his mouth "in the heat of the battle" so to speak. It makes a good man look like a crying lunatic!

As far as Daniel N., he always tries to get a rep of the "nice guy", smile and take all your chips. However, he can be really mean. He Bullys other players, especially people with problems like Phil H, Mike M., and anyone else that gives him any ammunition. That makes Daniel look like a very small person, in my book. A real person, will not pick on the weak or emotionally ill. Daniel likes to "make fun" of others! It has nothing to do with the poker game, it is just Daniel making fun of others to make himself feel better about himself! Typical Bullying at its best, in my opinion.

Too bad! Before I saw him do this over and over, I thought he was a great guy! A great "poker world" representative....

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be a poker pro you have to be pretty ruthless. You're making a living by competing for other people's money, so you need to have as much of a psychological edge as you can on them, so you need to induce mistakes and then punish your opponent for them. Inducing tilt is one way to do that.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the free poker tourney league i attend at our local bar, there was a helmuth wannabe. i made it to the final table and got heads up with this "expert". He made a raise to put me all in, i look down and see i have A 2 spades and call. It's a free roll so i really didn't care if i won or not since we both were going to get prizes anyway. He had pocket jacks and the flop comes 3 4 J turn 10 river 5.
He goes off on a rant on how could i call an all in with A 2. boo hoo.
the second tourney i get seated at the same table with him again and everytime i was in the bb he'd raise it to ridiculous amounts until i got KK and took half his stack again.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome.

Also with short-ish stacks it's frequently not a mistake to call a shove with A2. If he can shove with Kx/Qx, you're pretty far ahead of his range, and A7- hands chop all the time. Which is great because you're playing good poker and he thinks you're a donk.

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I was going to say...in head's up, going all in with an Ace isn't the worst move in the world. Good chance he's going all in with some combination of face cards....K Q J

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His rants are one part irritation with himself, one part image, and one part tilt inducer. If you notice he is always complaining that people aren't playing predictably, even when he folds a trash hand he re-raised with. He did admit in an interview that he complains a lot against good players to get them off their game. That is clearly not always the case, but I think he has turned a handicap into both an asset at the table and an excellent method of self promotion.

U

utilizatorus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i admire to the clouds and back Phill Hellmuth! why ever single amateur critisize him?! how many of us here, won a sibgle bracelet? :) he have 13. isn't that the best proff that he can really play and knows for sure what does it mean Poker?! of course, bluffing is part of the poker tactics like is the blood in theveins but not in the way that Selbst understood this. and the truth is that bluffing means winning for button or cut off.

barracuuuda

barracuuuda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol i love watching tony g and phil go at it. Its just plain hilarious.

T

TheDarkShadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
roflmao

U

uarejelly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how has hellmuth been doing this wsop? has he lost his cool lately ?

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's another. Why does he criticize someone for calling a raise after the flop when the guy has 2 pair!?!? Of course he'd call that raise with 10 J.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOl8nR4Ryc

B

bluefox117

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hellmuth does nothing but complain.
Not taking anything away from him but he won a lot of his bracelets when there were very small fields (less than 200). Poker has seen a huge increase and he has't won as many bracelets since the increase in the field of play.

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Though I'll never be a fan of Phil H, I'll always be impressed by him. But we get it, you ARE THE BEST (at least one of em). People itt are right that he has gotten a lot better at taking beats w/o the crying. But imo, he just graduated from being a baby to being the most arrogant player in the game. Fact or not, if I hear him talk about "white magic" again, I hope it's followed by a disappearing act.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hellmuth does nothing but complain.
Not taking anything away from him but he won a lot of his bracelets when there were very small fields (less than 200). Poker has seen a huge increase and he has't won as many bracelets since the increase in the field of play.

I am not a fan of Hellmuth, but you're not being fair to him. In the years 2004-2012, he has won 4 bracelets. In the same period of time, Phil Ivey won 5 and I can only see one other player who has won 4 bracelets (Tom Schneider). Most others have won 3 or less.

I don't think he is the poker-god that he believes he is. But, it's not fair to dismiss him as completely untalented or claim he was only successful when (or because) the fields were very small.

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
one of the first poker books i've ever read was phils. i remember getting chewed on by a player when i used one of the animal terms he used to classify a players ability. this guy interupted my chat with someone else to tell me that i was a donky for reading his book.
the only thing this dummy was right about is that i had read the book. my poker play got much better after identifying my weaknesses.
phil is no dumb dumb, an out spoken fool at times but no dumb dumb. it would be my pleasure one day to out play or badbeat him in a hand and make him tilt.