Hellmuth doesn't seem to understand that bluffing is part of playing poker

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know, but I'm relatively new in the game. I've got 2 or 3 years in now and my game has shown much improvement over the last 6 months.
I remember in the beginning, though, one of my first big hurdles that improved my game was getting over thinking that everybody was always bluffing. I learned that with a mediocre hand, it's usually best to "respect the raise". It seems silly that someone with 13 bracelets would succomb to "Bluff-a-Phobia".

Maybe it's that overgrown ego - he expects people with a hand to fold just because it's him betting out. Kind of hard to get a guy to fold when he has a real hand. Yet, that never seems to occur to Phil. He always vocalizes he is being bluffed.

"Ah, man; everyone wants to bluff the best in the world. Alright man, I think I had the best hand, but whatever."; Phil Hellmuth.

I have heard that so much he should put it on a damn tee-shirt. I really hope to hear someone shoot back at him (after he regurgitates that stupid line once more) "No, Phil, I don't bluff the best; only you." lol

doncaster

doncaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hellmutt is fine when he calls a raise with 45 and hits 2 pairs.The initial raiser shows AA and Phil thinks he is the best poker player ever.BUT heaven help someone who calls Phil's initial raise with ,say AA and the other player has say 10 J and flops QKA .Wow Phil would bring the house down and carry on forever.
He is good at poker,no denying that,but sometimes us amateurs also get lucky and are dealt AA ...
Poker is luck and skill.The debate is about how much luck and how much skill.
Hellmutt gets his fair share of both,so why can't we ???

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's that overgrown ego - he expects people with a hand to fold just because it's him betting out. Kind of hard to get a guy to fold when he has a real hand. Yet, that never seems to occur to Phil. He always vocalizes he is being bluffed.

"Ah, man; everyone wants to bluff the best in the world. Alright man, I think I had the best hand, but whatever."; Phil Hellmuth.

I have heard that so much he should put it on a damn tee-shirt. I really hope to hear someone shoot back at him (after he regurgitates that stupid line once more) "No, Phil, I don't bluff the best; only you." lol

You don't understand Hellmuth's motivation at all. He doesn't mean a damn thing he says. He just wants people to think he's tilting, and/or hate him so much that they make mistakes.

It's all a show, and you're exactly the audience he's looking for. If you can't see that, then avoid live games at all cost. You'll get eaten alive.

Good luck.

-HooDooKoo

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't understand Hellmuth's motivation at all. He doesn't mean a damn thing he says. He just wants people to think he's tilting, and/or hate him so much that they make mistakes.

It's all a show, and you're exactly the audience he's looking for. If you can't see that, then avoid live games at all cost. You'll get eaten alive.

-HooDooKoo

His busting out of wsop 2013 with constant bluffs and bad calls must all be part of the 2014 strategy....

T

timoman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he wears his heart on his sleeve, the guy is a top notch tourney player,prob top 5 of all time. its more of a camera thing with him id say,no camera,no rants.he likes to b the center of attention at big tournies with lots of media to fullfill his ego

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He dressed better at age 24 when he won the WSOP than he does today.

J

jappiejaap

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more like people are automaticly liking him perhaps cause his great achievements in the past I personally must say i neither like his play nor his attitude maybe all the moneys changed him .....

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more like people are automaticly liking him perhaps cause his great achievements in the past I personally must say i neither like his play nor his attitude maybe all the moneys changed him .....

I feel the same. Be it part of his strategy or not, I don't like arrogant people .... in any sport. He surely achieved a lot in the past, he knows his game. But sometimes I stare at him, shaking my head in disbelief.
I'm in no place to judge others' game, but I have other favorites among pro players.