Hellmuth doesn't seem to understand that bluffing is part of playing poker

B

bwYs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He just can't accept that he lost again...

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people forget, Phil is the one that stopped Johnny Chan for his third consecutive win for the world championship. And stopping the orient express is not easy to do.

FrankMStone

FrankMStone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people forget, Phil is the one that stopped Johnny Chan for his third consecutive win for the world championship. And stopping the orient express is not easy to do.

I think people question his attitude, not really his feats or poker skills. But hey, if he is not humble better he doesn't fake it.

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When Phil wins with a bluff he thinks he's the best player in the world and his opponent is a halfwit. When Phil loses to a bluff he the thinks he's the best player in the world and his opponent is a halfwit. Fun to watch him play either way.

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder if Phil Hellmuth is Bobby Knight's #1 poker pro hero?I would bet the bank on it that he is.

needaGF

needaGF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I believe Phil Hellmuth is the greatest tournament player. Just look at all his wsop bracelets.

But he is not that good at cash games. Antonio Esfandiari, Tom Dwan, Daniel Negreanu ... A couple of players are better than him.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must say that I really dont like Hellmuth... That first link which you posted is one of my favorite hands at all :D I love especcially how terribly Hellmuth played it on flop.. That his check was completely like "ok I had AQ or AK but I missed that flop as you can see" :D

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another bitter reaction, even though he was beat with a pocket pair. Notice what he says about n00b players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYXfI6HxlM

That's a pretty cruel way to bust. Think he took it fairly well considering how he reacts other times. That tourney has a fast blind structure too if I remember correctly so you can't really blame him for being a bit pissed off. :)

I

iWinSometimes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U hate him because ur jellows idiots. The man is the best and he gets pissed off after playing hands perfectly... they got lucky and bad beat him.

// I fell like I'm the unluckiest person in the whole world! How have I lost all those hands in arow. against 9% WTF. Impossivel to build a bankroll if they always hit turn or river in the big hands!

S

smidjet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seems strange to me that after all this time he has not figured out that it is what it is and just play the next one without making it personal. that was like the first thing my dad taught me

Vyp3r_MI

Vyp3r_MI

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Hellmuth is a great NLHE player, one of the best in the world if you ask me but he is too emotional. Sometimes you get beat by a runner-runner straight or some weird backdoor gutshot or something, that's poker.

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does Phil have 13 WSOP bracelets, yet has only won the main event once in 1989? Does a bracelet just mean you got to the final table?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does Phil have 13 WSOP bracelets, yet has only won the main event once in 1989? Does a bracelet just mean you got to the final table?

Side events. The WSOP isnt just the main event, each year they have multiple other events, different games, different buy ins etc.

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's his image. He does this to tilt bad players and get them to play hands they shouldn't against him.

How many "noobs" at the table do you think want to bad beat the great Poker Brat. Pretty good image if you ask me, getting players to put their chips in behind trying to get lucky.

So I bet most of it if not all of it is just an act. He's a smart enough player to realize that luck is a part of the game.

R

ROOKMAN

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If all of his blowups are an act, he should move to acting and make even more money. No way those are an act. He is a great player but also a jerk.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Well, at least this question splains the original post.

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If all of his blowups are an act, he should move to acting and make even more money. No way those are an act. He is a great player but also a jerk.

I didn't mean all of his blowups are an act just that he does it purposely to gain an edge. He says what a lot of ppl feel when they get a bad beat, but alot of plays he complains about are pretty standard and he plays some hands the same exact way.

Do you think he's really berating players b/c he's mad at how they played a hand everytime? Nah he's using his image to his advantage to get lower level players to make a mistake against him.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is this sort of wild play that will catch the pros with their pants down!
Right! Cuz da proz only play top10 hands pre & are real tight but'll call off 200bb's with TPTK &/or Overpair.

da Proz can't think on multi-levels & they don't adjust to others on da table ever.