barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
How do you deal with emotions when the cards are not in your favor and your game is over?

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a quick break, relax, stretch breathe... Take as long as you want to cleae your mind.

I believe the worst option would be to keep on playing... But then again, it is never easy to identify early tilt symptoms.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't have any negative emotions when I've played correctly and I still lose then it simply means when the game is over game over and it goes on to the next game if I still feel like it and have the time. Before I start playing, I know I could lose, so why fret when I do. Of course I don't play with the idea that I'm going to lose and I want to win just like everyone else but it's part of the game and if I don't feel like I can handle it then I should just stop playing. It's a game and you should only play it as long as it's fun, of course, if you do it as a job then it's a completely different situation, but I think you can only do it as a job if you take any losses into account

E

ender0713

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you deal with emotions when the cards are not in your favor and your game is over?

First I try to try and understand why I broke my risk model/bankroll management, and what I can do to improve upon it and prevent it from happening in the future. I try to figure out
Why the game ended the way it did, and if the hand I went out on was a valid hand to go out on in that position relative to my chip stack size. If the cards were truly not in my favor and no mistake was made in the amounts that I bet or the amount of time it took me to make those bets. Then I can get emotional, but I only really get emotional when I take a bad beat from variance playing beyond my means with my entire account amount. Because that’s when it’s really game over, and all those hours and days I sunk in building my account up, suddenly mean nothing(financially… strategically there’s a big lesson here). But if we play within our means, not violating our bankroll money management system and or our execution with cash out/withdraw plans, then we shouldn’t feel strong emotions about losing to true variance or bad beats. Because we know that we will live to play another day. It sucks when you want to play poker but can’t bc you don’t have any money, you know? Imagine you’re playing a role playing game where you only have ONE LIFE and if you die then you have to start over back at level 1. And you have to collect a certain number of rubies(chips) to get to the next levels(stakes) then you’re going to protect those rubies at all costs(not play a single cash game or tourney with your whole balance, but a fraction of it.) You’re not going to keep fighting someone who keeps taking your rubies(chips) right? NO! You want to WIN! :))
So if that’s happening, recognize it, and get out of there asap, like your poker life depends on it… because it does :))

Other than that, I like to smoke some weed, take a shower, brush my teeth, eat some food, go for a walk, get out of the house, read a book, call a few family and friends or visit them. Be grateful for what I do have, mainly food clothes and a roof over my head, if we got that, life ain’t so bad and the rest is literally just bonus in my opinion!

Good luck man! If you’re here making posts and asking for help, then I believe even without meeting you that you can do it and have what it takes. [emoji4]

dorivaldojr

dorivaldojr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the right thing to do is wait for a good hand or some pair, and take a risk when you are already on the brink of betting, is the only option or you have to play a tournament at the end

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It is so easy to say but taking a break is probably the best thing to do. Maybe talking with someone about something else than poker, watching or listening to something. Doing something which takes your mind from poker helps getting through a tough phase.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Usually I'm upset, frustrated and angry, and want to distract myself with something different as soon as possible.. Like forget the game completely and come back to analysis later (the next day, for example).

Sometimes I'm upset, but still I am able to recognize that it was a good game, I did my best, and you can't win everything. I just accept the finish how it is, and am thankful for the result I had. And still move on onto something else right away, as I don't like to dwell in something too much overall.

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I deal with it just realizing that I made a mistake myself. Sometimes I scold myself out loud. But I understand that only I am to blame. I could have acted differently somewhere during the tournament. This is how I deal with it

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You need to break free of the reliance on "good" or "bad" cards, and understand how to take advantage of the best opportunities available in the given game. If you are always taking the best chances available for success, there will be no emotions tied to the result of the chance taken. ;)

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A secondary game, like Hearthstone, can be great for winding down.

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play a timed session. Play for a set amount of time and call it a day.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
We have to are selective when day like that is happen because we cant have chance in all day.......sometimes i just take break abd listen movie...

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Move On

Emotional control is part of the game

the key, for me, is to accept the fact that there will be highs and lows in the cycle of play, and you really can't expect to be on top all of the time, no matter how skilled your play

so you might as well detach emotionally from losses
and just move on to the next game

TC

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it happens when you go to a tournament to just take the whole hand and when some kind of strong hand comes to you, but in the end it will be a setup and somewhere next to you there is another player with a strong hand and knocks you out, especially in a bounty tournament

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I credit my self for making a good decision and move on.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just credit my self for making the best decisions and move on knowing I win more than I loose.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to do something else or play only freerolls without risking my money. There are days that seems no matter what hand you get, you will lose.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You need to break free of the reliance on "good" or "bad" cards, and understand how to take advantage of the best opportunities available in the given game. If you are always taking the best chances available for success, there will be no emotions tied to the result of the chance taken. ;)
You gave me a very good idea! Thank you for such a valuable lesson.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
First I try to try and understand why I broke my risk model/bankroll management, and what I can do to improve upon it and prevent it from happening in the future. I try to figure out
Why the game ended the way it did, and if the hand I went out on was a valid hand to go out on in that position relative to my chip stack size. If the cards were truly not in my favor and no mistake was made in the amounts that I bet or the amount of time it took me to make those bets. Then I can get emotional, but I only really get emotional when I take a bad beat from variance playing beyond my means with my entire account amount. Because that’s when it’s really game over, and all those hours and days I sunk in building my account up, suddenly mean nothing(financially… strategically there’s a big lesson here). But if we play within our means, not violating our bankroll money management system and or our execution with cash out/withdraw plans, then we shouldn’t feel strong emotions about losing to true variance or bad beats. Because we know that we will live to play another day. It sucks when you want to play poker but can’t bc you don’t have any money, you know? Imagine you’re playing a role playing game where you only have ONE LIFE and if you die then you have to start over back at level 1. And you have to collect a certain number of rubies(chips) to get to the next levels(stakes) then you’re going to protect those rubies at all costs(not play a single cash game or tourney with your whole balance, but a fraction of it.) You’re not going to keep fighting someone who keeps taking your rubies(chips) right? NO! You want to WIN! :))
So if that’s happening, recognize it, and get out of there asap, like your poker life depends on it… because it does :))

Other than that, I like to smoke some weed, take a shower, brush my teeth, eat some food, go for a walk, get out of the house, read a book, call a few family and friends or visit them. Be grateful for what I do have, mainly food clothes and a roof over my head, if we got that, life ain’t so bad and the rest is literally just bonus in my opinion!

Good luck man! If you’re here making posts and asking for help, then I believe even without meeting you that you can do it and have what it takes. [emoji4]
Thank you very much for paying so much attention to my humble person.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to not accept failure when I lost hands and got out of the tournament, but the beginning of this year turned out to be quite unsuccessful for me, I lose all the time, even though I seem to be doing everything right! Recently, I began to notice that I was constantly being run over by completely garbage hands and I don’t know how to deal with it! I myself want to look at the advice of other players on how to deal with emotions, because lately I have been having a losing streak! Good luck at the tables!

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
brother it's just a game, what emotions, if you don't play money you can't afford to lose, everything is fine, emotions = big mistake

DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends on how I ended up out of the game.

If I look back at what happened and I don’t immediately know what went wrong, i’ll go back and review what I did to see where I went wrong and how I could avoid making that mistake again.

If I can see a way to improve next time, then it was a learning experience and thats a valuable thing and nothing to be annoyed at, you’ll know better for next time.

If I can’t see any way I could have improved and it was just bad luck, then I can rest assured there was nothing I could have done and it was out of my hands. Nothing to be annoyed about, thats just the game sometimes.

If on the other hand, I’ve ended up booted out unceremoniously by someone who gutted me on the river and had absolutely nothing against my flush before it, then I’ll take a step away for a bit (sometimes muttering obscenities under my breath) and go and get a drink and take a bit of time to calm down before going back into a fresh game.

Top 10 Games