Do you think some people are born with a gift for playing poker, like in other sports

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't think anyone is born "gifted" at playing. Poker players eventually play for gifts but that's it, imo. It's the person and the way they perceive the game. Some are great at reading people while others are better at following the math all the way to the river, and then the bank in some cases. Then there's the combination of the two. Stu Ungar was probably the best example of one of these players before the poker-411 explosion, or before everyone knew how to play.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You may not be born to play poker but perhaps you have been born not to play poker. If you don't have a competitive spirit, a gambling drive and analytical mind then no amount of learning or training will make you a good poker player.
Loved that post. I'd also like to add that low intelligence or a learning handicap are also insurmountable obstacles for someone trying to become good, let alone 'a winning player'.
I've got the growing suspicion that I might fall under this category, since after many hundreds of hours of play, I still find myself far, far away from being able to compete with the regs.

WDStipa

WDStipa

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Hello!:ciao:
I think people with an analytical mindset are more successful at poker. In my opinion - there are people who are able to very easily understand the mathematics of this game as 2×2. At the same time, I also believe that a person's temperament is an important factor. I think this also plays a role.

Hello to you to!

I can agree with that. I also think that people who are able very easily to understand the mathematics of this game have an adventage in poker over others.

But I will stick to what I wrote. I did not write, that to be a GOOD poker player takes the same what it takes to be a GOOD chess player, in whatever sense. Those are 2 different games. The tactics you use in poker cannot be applied in chess, so I am not comparing chess to poker in that sense. That was not the point.

I think that in order to be THE BEST poker player IN THE WORLD you need to have an extraordinary ability od discipline, concetration and mental strength. Same what Kasparov needed to have to became THE BEST chess player IN THE WORLD. Don't you agree with that? :)

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think some people are born with more of an analytical brain and they are also born with a mathematical type of brain superior to others.

D

dirty_nerd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do think some people are born with a gift for playing poker, like in other sports

No. I don't even think that I believe in the premise that people are born with gifts that, in and of themselves, makes a person gifted at a particular endeavor. More simply stated, even those people who benefit from great gene pools still have to put in some work. Just because someone is good with numbers and understands probabilities/statistics doesn't mean they are going to be gifted at poker if they don't know the rules of the game or can't channel emotions at the table. Even the world class athlete blessed with gifts from a pristine gene pool still has a lot to learn before becoming gifted at the sport of his/her choice. Certain traits and attributes make the learning process easier but work still must be done to become gifted in the endeavor.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course, there can be no innate abilities specifically for poker, but certainly a person who does mathematics will have an advantage at first over someone who came to poker (including) without any knowledge, but now with the development of solvers and a mass of educational content in On the Internet, anyone can quickly upgrade their skills in poker and earn money, here the desire to develop and the time spent are already important

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking recently about the large number of players that have emerged in recent years, and how good they are. I know this is because of the great boom of online poker, the quick lit information, anyway, things we all know, however, I was curious if you guys believe that there are people who are born with this supernatural talent.
I believe not, that learning comes with many years of study, but some say that in addition to the study, there are people who really seem to have been born for poker.
What's your opinion?

I have been naturally good at math my entire life. Especially mental math. It makes making "correct" decisions a little easier for me. I can calculate pot odds, equity, and odds of runouts in about 15 seconds for almost any given hand against one player any time after that is when I start to analyze the situation outside of the numbers.

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course not, it's all about skill and luck, that's all , learn how to play, repeat, watch streams and analyze and then learn again, repeat, watch how others play and wait for luck when we are lucky

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if your born into a lot of money than I think it’s safe to say poker can be a career 😂 I know if I had a trust fund or 100,000 cash just to have I would probably be a professional poker player 😂

W

waynaldo009

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah maybe doing the math calculations quickly but everything else should come with lots of practice.

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with most everyone else, for sure some are just naturally talented/gifted with mathematics but other than that it comes down work and luck.

M

mp3player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i belive so if you are talking about live poker not computer. Because yes there is math involved there is also reading the person as well. It's hard to read people if you are just playing online.

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess some ppl are natural card players, but like anything if they want to excel in what they are gifted in, they still need practice and years of experience.

E

ender0713

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking recently about the large number of players that have emerged in recent years, and how good they are. I know this is because of the great boom of online poker, the quick lit information, anyway, things we all know, however, I was curious if you guys believe that there are people who are born with this supernatural talent.
I believe not, that learning comes with many years of study, but some say that in addition to the study, there are people who really seem to have been born for poker.
What's your opinion?

I don’t know if it’s that they’re born with supernatural poker abilities, as much as they may have been raised in an environment surrounded by gambling, or parents that were excellent with their money and able to instill their children or child with proper financial principles at a young age.

emaczera

emaczera

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
I think that's how they are born with talents, there are those who don't have talents, I guess

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello to you to!

I can agree with that. I also think that people who are able very easily to understand the mathematics of this game have an adventage in poker over others.

But I will stick to what I wrote. I did not write, that to be a GOOD poker player takes the same what it takes to be a GOOD chess player, in whatever sense. Those are 2 different games. The tactics you use in poker cannot be applied in chess, so I am not comparing chess to poker in that sense. That was not the point.

I think that in order to be THE BEST poker player IN THE WORLD you need to have an extraordinary ability od discipline, concetration and mental strength. Same what Kasparov needed to have to became THE BEST chess player IN THE WORLD. Don't you agree with that? :)
Yes, I can agree with you. Your reasoning is very logical and complements my comment well.:):icon_thum

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

I do. Not to slight players who work at their craft and read tells, watch for betting habits, etc. but I think some people have a natural ability to have a "6th sense" in the game. Daniel Negreanu may be an example.

S

Sham3415

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know, I don't think I always hear about studying and that drives me crazy haha ​​I hope that yamila hasn't woken up yet haha

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do think that the goodness of playing poker can be found when they are trying to play. It is always a fun way to play.

Beatlebug

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The gift can be twofold .. one aspect is just plain luck. Another reason for being good in poker is having developed the right attitude .. just enough aggression and just enough caution to balance your betting. Some people may be born with this balance and others need to strive for it.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe but nothing is free,I think its more about practice makes perfect so the more you do something the better you get at it or anything. And then there's the luck part that comes and messes it all up..lol. Luck is the crazy part because usually its not given,its earned (Jordan don't make 30 outta 30..3 pointers because hes lucky, he practiced) but in poker it kinda applys. Good luck. 🍻

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe but nothing is free,I think its more about practice makes perfect so the more you do something the better you get at it or anything. And then there's the luck part that comes and messes it all up..lol. Luck is the crazy part because usually its not given,its earned (Jordan don't make 30 outta 30..3 pointers because hes lucky, he practiced) but in poker it kinda applys. Good luck.

P

pockerman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think as everywhere some players has it in bold. But most just to get it with experience

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So people

Of course some people are born with all the intangibles that make them naturally great for poker. They still have to learn and play but their curve will be a sharp one and quickly start the upward trajectory

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars