Do you think some people are born with a gift for playing poker, like in other sports

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking recently about the large number of players that have emerged in recent years, and how good they are. I know this is because of the great boom of online poker, the quick lit information, anyway, things we all know, however, I was curious if you guys believe that there are people who are born with this supernatural talent.
I believe not, that learning comes with many years of study, but some say that in addition to the study, there are people who really seem to have been born for poker.
What's your opinion?

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think some people are naturals but with alot of practice and study you can reach their level like any other sport

L

luki_jakdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No i dont think that there is any differnce to other sports..

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think some skills are essential for being a good poker player. like you have to be good with numbers and patterns, you have to have patience and think big, body language and reverse psychology naturals, etc. so yes, not everyone has those qualities so they are not great poker players. also the luck factor. some people might want to call it destiny or what ever, I think it takes a certain ideology and mindset to be a great poker player, different than an average person. otherwise everyone would be a pro poker player.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No there is no matter of a "gift" but it depends from the work that was made, the efforts and the experience. Everything has an explanation!

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Definitely yes! They born with gift to play this game. Also if you notice all of them are very good in the math. And just read their biography and how they started to play you will recognize that they are really gifted persons.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I do believe that everyone has inherited special talents. Mathematical, Stats, picking up faster than others, etc. So, my answer is yes. Thank you.

R

RUNRRUNRTO

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There’s no doubt that there are individuals who are naturally talented but even they must put in time and effort in order to achieve positive results.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends what you mean exactly. Some people are born with the attributes that when trained properly can make them very good at poker.

But the idea that someone could beat modern day poker without much study/work seems doubtful.

I suppose there are likely quite a few that could beat live cash games/small stake live tournaments without much if any study for the game. But beating online games for a decent wage consistently I think they would still need to a fair bit of studying.

Obviously having a natural knack for numbers and logic etc means I probably can get better results with the same amount of work vs the average dude.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
did you ever watch the old 70s and 80s martial arts movies out of hong kong..??

there were different styles...the crane...the praying mantis...the tiger...the dragon...the snake..etc etc...and of course, the drunken monkey :)

most people, if properly schooled, can become efficient in one, or at best two styles. One style is used against another..perhaps the praying mantis can beat the tiger, while the snake cannot...for example.

a truly talented, intuitive martial artist can switch between one style and another...in order to successfully combat the style of their opponent.

This metaphor culminates in Tai Chi...a synthesis of all the styles....learn Tai Chi, and you will be the true master. There is no 'way' ...you are the 'way', the truth, and the light in the darkness.

Very few people can learn Tai Chi...although many can learn the individual animal syles. They are too rigid...set in their ways...and full of the erroneous belief that only their style is best....like a stone trying to break the water of the river it is thrown into. Eventually, the stone will flow to the sea, and become sand.

Be like water.

Don't listen to me...i am a crazy old man. :)

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been thinking recently about the large number of players that have emerged in recent years, and how good they are. I know this is because of the great boom of online poker, the quick lit information, anyway, things we all know, however, I was curious if you guys believe that there are people who are born with this supernatural talent.
I believe not, that learning comes with many years of study, but some say that in addition to the study, there are people who really seem to have been born for poker.
What's your opinion?

Not really. The gifts are the ability to read people, sell a story, memory, and math. Everything else is learned behavior including the ability to execute without making mistakes. Humans learn by repetition and becoming aware of mistakes. This comes faster to some but there are no naturals at this game.

H

helenag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eh maybe

Yes and no. If you have a gift with numbers and math then you can work towards being a beast at poker.. otherwise I'm not sure.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Of course some are naturally talented. Name any human endeavor where natural talent does not come to the fore?

Bryn Kenney is a perfect example of someone with natural talent. He states he has never used a solver and eschews studying in the manner most players employ.

Picasso could draw brilliantly as a child and Mozart could likewise compose. You could go to art and music schools for years and never achieve what they could.

Some are naturally talented at poker and the idea any Tom Dick or Harry could apply themselves and achieve poker greatness is more than little naive.

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think behind "natural talent" is years of training and working at becoming better. Most people who are successful at anything have the desire to work at becoming better at it. Some people are born with the physical gifts of height or speed, but they have also honed their craft. So just pick out something you want to get better at and spend 15-20 mins minimum a day on that specific thing and you will get better at it.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, but it goes hand in hand with effort and daily learning, it is difficult to survive with a certain natural talent, online impossible, maybe in live poker you can get more out of natural talent but you have thousands of people who reach you in a short period if you don't keep constantly learning:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

T

Trestivo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there may be people more easily due to the mathematics of the game and of course those who have greater emotional dominance also have an advantage.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that each of us can achieve our goals and realize our dreams. In my opinion, talent is just hard daily work. And if you are patient enough it means that you are also talented enough to succeed in any field.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, some were born with the gift of playing poker. But it needs to be developed and used correctly. Not everyone can do it.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think all the same a person should have the prerequisites. But I also know that any talent must work hard to develop its characteristics.
Therefore, my conclusion is that even if you are born lucky and a genius, you still have to work hard on your development.

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I possessed an eidetic memory then would be easy to slay at the the tables.
Most of the really good players today I think have this ability to recall situations against an opponent which helps in making informed decisions at the table.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Even with a gift you still need to study, learn, and practice to take advantage of it. :)

88Youve Got a Gift Roy The Natural

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, no one is born for nothing, people are interested in something and achieve success, just as you need to play a lot of poker and learn to become a professional, and someone only plays for money, this is good, but a little love for the card is also needed

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course there are phenomena, there are people who develop some skills faster than others, both mental and physical, it is easier for them to understand the game and know how to cope better than others, but there is also preparation through the years with it. study, practice, perseverance and discipline, to improve and overcome to become very good at what you set out to do.

"Phenomena are born, but they can also be formed"

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars