Do you think some people are born with a gift for playing poker, like in other sports

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well ... I believe that some people are born with a vocation for a sport or a specific activity ... like poker ... however the vast majority become successful through study, dedication and practice ...!

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would say some have inherent skills that could lend some what of an advantage. Those who work hard and put forth an effort have a much bigger leg up on the competition.

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no such thing as a (talent) gift. There are many hours of training to achieve results.

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends what you mean exactly. Some people are born with the attributes that when trained properly can make them very good at poker.

But the idea that someone could beat modern day poker without much study/work seems doubtful.

I suppose there are likely quite a few that could beat live cash games/small stake live tournaments without much if any study for the game. But beating online games for a decent wage consistently I think they would still need to a fair bit of studying.

Obviously having a natural knack for numbers and logic etc means I probably can get better results with the same amount of work vs the average dude.
I agree with most of what you have written.
I believe that there is one exception from the past that would have likely done very well today with little study..."Stu Unger"
Regards,
StreetPhd

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Once I asked a friend of mine, who is a great guitar teacher and player, if anyone can play the guitar really well. He said to me that yes, almost everyone can do it with determination and discipline to study. But only a few has the "feeling" to be that great one, who really master the instrument.
I think poker is the same thing. If you study, play concentrated, and take it seriously, you can be a good and winning player. But to be a wsop champion and a reference to others players you need to have something more.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, talents are always born. I don't think poker is an exception. But he is talented in vain if he does not have humility. So my answer is yes, but for success like in any sport you have to work!

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing how young some of the frequent big tourney winners are, I think they studied young and have a gift for the game.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe there are people that are just made for poker that is why they make a career out of it.

M

mrwalleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe so...but you also have to have some battle scares meaning experience

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, anyone can play poker. But not everyone can "read " people.
So, no matter how much you have studied in any game/sports, or practiced, with any card game , if you cannot read your opponents ... then you are relying on Luck.
Some people just know how to read people.

iWin210

iWin210

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No it takes alot of practice to get good. Like I say I lost alot of money to get this good lol

M

mouTAT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course talent exist on everything from music to arts to sports or maths poker won't be an exception but I believe talent is not enough without hard work to improve your skills

Angel v rai

Angel v rai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting. I think there are very lucky people. Who are lucky. After all, in poker. 50 percent luck, 50 math)

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been thinking recently about the large number of players that have emerged in recent years, and how good they are. I know this is because of the great boom of online poker, the quick lit information, anyway, things we all know, however, I was curious if you guys believe that there are people who are born with this supernatural talent.
I believe not, that learning comes with many years of study, but some say that in addition to the study, there are people who really seem to have been born for poker.
What's your opinion?

ALL human beings are NOT equal. I know current political and society want you to believe we are, all data shows the opposite. So in any type of event , job, competition, there are going to be levels of where people end up. It has to do with so many factors, desire, motivation, willingness to work harder than the next guy. Poker is a place where some have a more intuitive sense of "how to play", but that is far from the end of the story. Now with the help of technology, almost anyone can become profitable, if they are willing and able to study and absorb the strategy. There will always be people who feel as if the game came easy to them and other people who feel as if they had to work harder than the average player to become a winning player. In my opinion, this is what makes the world an amazing place. You might excel in some area, and yet need to look for help in others. The people who have a deep desire to be the best, can usually find a way to get there.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Everyone is Born different, some are Mentally strong, whilst others may be Physically strong, it all depends on how you use your talent's that really matters.
Born to be good at Poker? Definitely not! Born to be a great Mathematician? Perhaps! but if you can use that mental ability to become good at Poker, some might say you were born to play Poker!
Poker is a mental game, and I know some very brainy people who cannot play Poker simply because they don't have the patience to play, I know others that cannot think for themselves and are very good players because they are good at spotting patterns in the game.
They can spot opportunities on making straights and flushes where other's might miss them, a Friend of mine had to have a card in front of him, with the different hand strengths on it because he could not remember which hand beats what, He wasn't stupid or something, he just had a bad memory, and the card helped him to win. There was nothing in the rule book on it and he did very well when he played.
Poker can be all different things to everyone, Born to play NEVER! but Born to have fun and pleasure in your Life, Definitely!

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Of course. Unfortunately, it definitely isn't me heh

S

semi1406

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It comes down to time.There are people born with gift to catch up with the game faster others must invest more time into it.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a skill that can be improved ofc and it can be also like a gift from family linage. Its a long debate on this subject anyways

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that the talent of a poker player is directly related to IQ and desire to acquire skills.

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely think there are people who are natural talents for poker. As for sports, science, music ... No matter what segment of life is in question, there are always some people who stand out with their success. But I also think that with a lot of effort and work, huge successes can be achieved. It is enough to have a great desire to succeed in a certain field of life and of course effort, and anything is possible.

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No poker is mostly luck some players are better then others but poker is a game of luck

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking recently about the large number of players that have emerged in recent years, and how good they are. I know this is because of the great boom of online poker, the quick lit information, anyway, things we all know, however, I was curious if you guys believe that there are people who are born with this supernatural talent.
I believe not, that learning comes with many years of study, but some say that in addition to the study, there are people who really seem to have been born for poker.
What's your opinion?

Realistically those who say they are born for poker, I was able to do a study of chance and it is the low probability of an event happening, precisely for that reason, these people who say they are born for poker are subject to these moments, part of the luck that accompanies them make these events happen, I could always see Negranu live and he plays well, he is not subject to luck or chance, he applies many techniques that help him, but I saw him play online and those techniques are useless because there are moments that he loses and others that he wins, for that reason is that some online players appeal to their luck to achieve victories.

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker players are not born, they become. Professional poker players are not born with the necessary knowledge and skills — they develop their skills over the years, through long training and searching for their own mistakes. as well as the opponent's mistakes.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea of course. but remember practice makes perfect is the best thing I think any1 should tell themselves in poker or in life in general. You want to get better and master something just keep doin it, you will get better and that's a fact:deal:. Good luck .

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In any sport, talent is not enough, you still need to make an effort to achieve your goals. But I was born to win my million ;)

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars