Do you play poker when you have serious problems?

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker because I like it, I don't want to put pressure on myself by playing poker when I have problems, that can end very badly, you have to be relaxed to be able to give your best.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, playing when you have some big problems is hard, thinking about solving these problems is very distracting, but on the other hand, when you need to take a little bit away from what is bothering you, playing poker can help.

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
For some it seems that there are no problems that cannot be solved. Others seem to have problems, through no fault of his, but they are his and he cannot give them up. Morality is perceived differently and with certain nuances for each of us. We each have our own struggle in life, maybe moral or wise.
Let's focus on the game when we can take a break from other pursuits, if not take a little break from the game to reset.
My dear friend,
I am always grateful for your wise words and advice. Both your advice and the lessons I receive from you at the poker table - there are always steps forward for me on the path I have chosen.
I am a man who dreams. Fulfilling these dreams are my goals. Some of them are less important, others more. Some of them will come true, while others will remain only dreams forever.
Unfortunately for you... hihihi (of course it is a joke)
one of my dream is: to be one of the best Poker Player in my comunity, country, europe, world. I do a lot to achieve this. Ambition, determination in pursuing the goal and a task-oriented approach to the problem combined with my intelligence, temperament and my obstinacy - all this brings me closer to success every day.
Of course many problems slow me down. I know it's just a matter of time, before I start winning regularly at higher stakes. Unfortunately, there are many things that will still stand in my way. I know this today, because the life I lead, is a life on the edge.
I have loved risk for as long as I can remember. And this does not apply to gambling and poker. It's about many important life decisions. I was a millionaire and I was a beggar - I fight the devil every day. Unfortunately, one loss can destroy everything that has been achieved.
In 40 years I have known extremes. I'm waiting for the golden mean to be reached.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Good luck dear friend and good man! Your optimism brings joy to my heart. A few kind words never killed anyone, and I don't deserve praise. I just want to see each other well and healthy.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I will not play and do not recommend it. Concentration is essential to achieve good results in poker

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What problems? Any kind of problems which distract You. I ask, because few day ago my wife was informed that she got cancer. Very bad and dangerous condition. I am playing of course, because we don't want to change anything in our life.
I sorry to hear that, I wish your wife the best for a positive outcome. As long as you are there for her when she needs you, continue playing.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I only play poker when I can focos 100% on delivering my A game to the table,if I have serious problems I dont play until I have solved them.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Wish your family to be healthy and strong! When l have serious problems l play freerols and short tournaments.

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes it helps to get distracted but it's never a solution

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have a serious problem of course I don't play poker. There is no way I could concentrate
then and would just lose money fast,

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's terrible what you wrote about your grandson and his illness at such a young age. Fortunately, today he is strong and healthy - I was very happy when I read this.
Unfortunately, the health service in Poland is terrible. My girlfriend died after 4 months only because of doctors' negligence and mistakes. She could have lived at least 5 years or more. I enclose her foto to show You, what a new kind of Angel go to heaven - now God will delight his eyes with her beauty. I love look into her eyes, I want to look at her and speak to her non stop.
View attachment 359134I love You Kate till the end of my live and even longer!!!
I am so sorry. My heart is broken for you. :( Look how beautiful she was! You will be in my thoughts, and sending love and condolences to you.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sometimes poker takes the mind off from life's troubles, if you can afford to and are able to concentrate on the game and forget everything else. Other times poker does the opposite and can bring new life troubles to the mind where there weren't any before. Like with almost anything and anyone, it depends. My condolences for your loss.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I only play poker when I can focos 100% on delivering my A game to the table,if I have serious problems I dont play until I have solved them.

This is probably the best way to go about playing poker but for many players they won't be able to find the time to play if this were the case.

Personally I'd be playing MTT's online 'if' I were able to focus at 100% for any length of time but it is impossible for me in my life today... has been for a long time and might be this way for awhile yet to come. For now I play cash tables, some days at micro stakes & at other times I play Low stakes as I'm able to do so while only being able to focus for short periods of time (not because my schedule is busy but because of emotional overload, grieving, etc.). On days I cannot focus well, I play micro stakes.

Last edited:
jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What problems? Any kind of problems which distract You. I ask, because few day ago my wife was informed that she got cancer. Very bad and dangerous condition. I am playing of course, because we don't want to change anything in our life.
Hello brother Grzegorz00pl

Well, first of all, my blessings and prayers so that your wife improves her state of health in this bad situation that, God willing, will be resolved in a short time, have faith.

I don't really play when I'm in trouble.

At this moment I live from poker. I play PLO5 and with that I get a monthly salary in addition to growing as a player, that is my goal, to try to climb levels in cash not only to improve my economic situation, but also to grow in the game.

But I also have my wife with a disease "Parkinson's disease" so I understand you.
Thanks to God and science, my wife had surgery on April 21, 2021, which changed her life.
But unfortunately this disease is so harmful that some other problem always attacks it, and that's where I can't play directly.

When your head is somewhere else, the game goes wrong and I tell you this from experience.

That's why all the fights you have about problems, it is inevitable that you transfer them to the tables. And that's where the abundant loss of money begins.

When I have those problems, I stay away from the tables on the days I have to, and I return when my head is free and without worries again. Let's say in a way that I take it as a time off from poker, nothing more than that.

I wish you the best brother, and especially to your wife in this difficult time. God will give them the necessary strength to move forward, especially her.

Greetings and a hug from argentina.

For whatever you need, we are here. Carlos(y)(y)(y)

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is terrible.. Health to your wife and happiness to your family! And of course, the desire not to change anything is absolutely normal - I wish that your life would only be filled with new colors every day!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry to hear about that. In such a situation I would definitely cut down on playing poker and spend more time with my wife. Hope the best for both of you :)

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
No. If I have very BIG problem I concentrate to solve it or to make them contractual. Especially if that are my health problems or other family members problems.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No i put all my time in trying to make what is wrong right poker is for fun.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No. And I don’t believe it’s a good idea. We need to play with a relax and quiet head. If you play thinking about your problems you probably going to make bad choices because you’re not full concentrating on the game.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a very serious problem, I don't know if I would play because I know I'm an anxious person, so, I think I would not be able to focus on the game. But if it's an ordinary problem, I usually play poker. I've always read that we should not play when we are stressed or too anxious, but just can't avoid it.

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
any negative emotions worsen the quality of the game, all regulars often continue to play, but this is not a very profitable idea

M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm sorry for your wife, with faith in God she'll be fine! When I'm having problems I don't usually play, my mind doesn't focus much on the game, I keep thinking about several things at the same time and in the end I don't think anything.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Sorry to hear it. That shows that there are a lot of more important thing than playing poker.
I think that is ok to try to don't let such a bad thing change or condition your entire life, but it's good to take some time, and just play sometimes if you can concentrate and it helps you get a good time.