Do you drink alcohol when you play poker?

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone, I have some questions about alcohol in poker.

1) Have you drunk alcohol when you play poker either online or live?

2) What do you think of moderate alcohol consumption as a disinhibitor method to play more concentrated?

3) What is your method of concentration when you play poker?

I clarify that I am not drinking alcohol when I play regularly, although I must admit that if I like to drink very occasionally when playing and moderately. :)

Greetings.

1) To be honest I have never tried to drink alcohol since I am playing from 8 years. Also I do not think that this will help me to improve my skills or decisions to the game. On the contrary, there will be only disadvantages of my play if I drink.

2) I am not sure it will help, but can not say it 100%, because I have never tried. It depends on the character and the person who you are.

3) Two types of concentration I follow: focusing only on the table or the other one which I prefer more - listening to music or watching football game or other sport event while playing - that keeps me in good shape.:)

JetmirDulja

JetmirDulja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Nop i dont , i already make easy calls , imagive if i was drinking . No strategy at all. Only water guys and keep your mind focused. Today i was playing a tournament for 3 hours , i got to 1m chips and 1 out of 2000 people . And right before the late registration period ended i got twice AA .. I shoved both times , and both times Aces wasnt good enough. I am still tilted.

Aleksmy

Aleksmy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play poker and drink ****tails or beer. It relaxes me and I take risks more often. That's why I often start winning.

M

Marcelobp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate play poker with alcohol ! I lose my focus and i dont i have the better decisions !

O

oscarhuka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes I drink while playing! some beer usually in the summer, some rum in the winter.

I try to be moderate.

M

mclaughlinph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to it dulls the senses on the one hand and impairs your judgement on the other hand it loosens you up and creates a more carefree playing attitude which can prove to be fruitful.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 scotch can keep you calm

usually I like to drink some scotch whisky while playing ,it can calm you down and keep you relaxed so you don't get aggressive or loose control .
I think its a nice idea .you should try it , but for those that are not used to alcohol pay attention not to get drunk ,and then will be the disaster

brains12341

brains12341

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played a few live events in my country and to be honest, sometimes a drink helps to calm the nerves. You don't have to be drinking continuously, but for some people when they feel nervous and drink helps. Matter of fact at 1 event i was so nervous at the final 5 because i was the shortest stack because of making stupid mistakes due to nervousness, I requested a white Russian drink, that 1 drink lasted me for the next 2-3 hours, only taking a sip whenever the nerves came on, after awhile the ice had melted and it was watery, but the mental effect it had did not fade and i got to 2nd place. Was really proud of myself that day.

I

igotnothin4u

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone DRINK when they play poker?

Do ya drink alcohol when ya play poker online or LIVE? If so, whats your flavor? I like that Budweiser (go frogs!):eek:

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This questions is asked a lot, and in my case the answer is yes, but not often. Only really in freerolls or when playing with friends where I have a good enough edge to negate the impact, and everyone else is doing the same. I mainly drink bud light, which is only 3.5% and won't get me drunk very easily.

If I'm buying in to a competitive game with strangers though, then I won't drink.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I don't drink; at the poker table I am too focused with the game and many things I am trying to become aware of. I need a clear head: no drinking, no music, no distractions - just me focusing on the game itself and the other players (exponentially true for live poker games).

However, with this said: different things for different people. Some people drink to calm their nerves or to relax and that indirectly helps their poker game. I think it was Phil Hellmuth who once said, "some people play better drunk." I don't think I've ever seen Hellmuth himself drunk at the table, but sometimes he has been known to drink during some poker games too.

For most people, I think drinking hurts their poker game though. Poker is already an emotional game and takes a lot of focus: alcohol just makes it potentially easier to tilt, play looser than you should, or make moves when you shouldn't.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not in the morning or afternoon but yes in the evening. Same as on days I don't play poker.

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no but sometimes after i need a couple lol

props to anyone who can play well and drink.

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like

I like to drink IPA from my local brewery while playing. I can still get growler fills directly from the brewery during the pandemic.

E

enzomyn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do ya drink alcohol when ya play poker online or LIVE? If so, whats your flavor? I like that Budweiser (go frogs!):eek:

Good Morning, brother. I do believe that a beer is relaxing and necessary to be able to play a calculated and strategic game, in the absence of it, there will be coffee, hahaha.

P

pablo lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I already drank a lot while playing but nowadays I don't drink anymore while playing tournaments.

N

nutzing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes i have a few but i don't like to get drunk while playing. makes me tired lol