Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't really believe in bad luck in poker. Poker is a skill game and very math based. While yes, we do lose at in-opportune times it's not about luck. Even when we lose several All-in hands in a row, mathematically this should happen every so often and we should also remember the time when it was going our way.

Someone recently apologized for sucking out on me on the river in a live game. My response was I, every so often you are going to lose and no worries.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I believe in statistical fluctuations and that If you play good poker you will win in the long run.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do believe that you can run good or bad in poker. Hot streaks and unlucky streak’s definitely not uncommon in poker. Variance can be very difficult to deal with. Must have a string mental game to withstand the bad luck runs.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
some say bad luck, some are accidents, some are mathematical calculations, everyone argues in their own way))) so I think that there is bad luck, although I myself realize and really there is only mathematics

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Whether you believe in Luck, (Good or Bad) is really not the issue, It only becomes an issue if you try to rely on it. Fish usually do rely on luck, making that runner/runner connection on the Turn and River giving them the better hand, Talented and better players will fold at such draws, and wait for a better opportunity to make their move.
I believe in lots of things Like Good versus Evil, Heaven and Hell, even Good Luck and Bad Luck, because for every positive thing in life there has to be an opposite, Like a "Ying Yang" philosophy, you cannot have one without the other, With Poker however, you only rely on luck when you go all-in, Pre-flop, because at that point you are relying on the Poker Gods to smile on you and give you that win.
It's a Coin toss whichever way you look at it, Heads or Tails, Ying vs Yang, Good Luck vs Bad Luck, But whatever the outcome, you need to accept it as being just part of the game, otherwise you start thinking about "conspiracies" or "game rigging!" Then you have a problem!
Doyle Brunson won 2 World titles on 10/2, not because it is a great starting hand, far from it, but he had so much of a chip lead over his opponent, doubling him up would not hurt his stack, I have had a similar experience with 6/2, calling a players all-in without looking at my hand simply because I had such a big lead over him, nothing he could do would damage my stack by much, and I beat his AK suited by pairing my 2 on the River, No maths, No strategy, just pure dumb Luck! Good for me, Bad for him.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Each zodiac sign is said to be associated with a specific set of characteristics and personalities, from strong will to restlessness. Some people do numerology without even realizing they are doing it.It happens to me sometimes, I believe. If I feel bad, then everything is bad at once and in all areas.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I've had my ups and downs when it comes to poker and going ALL IN... But I've never blamed a loss in poker on bad luck.
In my opinion. It's about good & bad timing.
There are times when the day, for example, has not gone well since the morning, and failure is waiting in every tournament. But the main weapon is to never give up! We must be strong and immune to failure. Yes, in poker a lot depends on luck, but certainly not everything! Skills should be a more useful tool than hoping for luck. :geek::sneaky::cool:

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe in study and dedication and grit, referring to poker bad days are constant.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure, there's bad luck. There is also good luck.

A lot of people on here simply refer to it as variance.

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If I had a good guess, I wouldn't lose... It comes with practice and good study

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Unfortunately, sometimes I think you are unlucky.

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Perhaps exists bad luck,sometimes I feel this.But mostly the poker machine decides how you have played for this time,and certenly what hands you play at this moment.Based on these two things decides who wins in that moment.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've had my ups and downs when it comes to poker and going ALL IN... But I've never blamed a loss in poker on bad luck.
In my opinion. It's about good & bad timing.
if you lose from AA to 27o is what?
In my opinion, there is luck, if there is luck, there is a lack of it too, so yes, there is bad luck.

Mantinhoo

Mantinhoo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LT
Chips
I have repeatedly said that most of all everything is determined by skill, but without success you will not win everything.

O

OstroLB

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good question if I believe in bad luck I think that depending on the day there is bad luck or bad luck because in the game I have already come across bad luck I believe so

I Identify as a Shark

I Identify as a Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I definitely believe in bad luck, but I like to refer to it as variance. Haha!

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It becomes a question of semantics. But of course, you can call it bad luck if a player runs worse than expected (EV). Especially if it goes on for a long time. And in live poker, you get so few hands compared to online so it can go on for a lifetime.

And when it comes to MTTs just google: Tournament Variance Calculator - and the graph for best run compared to worst run is shockingly different.

Regarding good timing/bad timing ( I think both had very good timing, but):

It's not only that it happens it's WHEN it happens.

Last edited:
C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's poker variance and I know that is impossible to win all the time, specially going all in, most of the times we are only in a slightly advantage. But I do believe in good and bad runs.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Bad or good luck is a word in which people’s point of view differs according to their culture or belief, there are also people who do not believe this word, it is a word that we wish and hope for something only.
I believe that it is not possible to compare between a lucky player and a professional player. the lucky one will be lucky only for some time and in a few hands, and this happens with any player from time to time, but, shall we say that the professional player is lucky in most of his successes?, winning and losing is due to the efficiency of our patience, focus, and mastery the mathematics, strategies and skills, especially in slow or regular poker games.

f_lampa

f_lampa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
yeah, i've never blamed a poker loss on bad luck. because I still get lucky :)

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
personally not if it existed there would also be the good and I would stay at home to wait for everything is achieved with effort and dedication