userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I've had my ups and downs when it comes to poker and going ALL IN... But I've never blamed a loss in poker on bad luck.
In my opinion. It's about good & bad timing.
You either have luck or you don't. I believe that my results depend only on me, and I just try to do everything in order to become better. There is luck or there is no luck, but at least I know that I am doing everything to achieve my goal.

J

johnadams1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definately some people are more lucky than others. It touches everything, also poker.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It becomes a question of semantics. But of course, you can call it bad luck if a player runs worse than expected (EV). Especially if it goes on for a long time. And in live poker, you get so few hands compared to online so it can go on for a lifetime.

And when it comes to MTTs just google: Tournament Variance Calculator - and the graph for best run compared to worst run is shockingly different.

Regarding good timing/bad timing ( I think both had very good timing, but):

It's not only that it happens it's WHEN it happens.
That's LOLScreenshot 20230823 203929 PokerStars

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this bad luck problem can be a slowdown in the pace of winnings or several consecutive losses which is normal in poker in some cases.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I also don't believe in luck or bad luck, all events are independent, so that doesn't exist.

Obviously, when we are winning flips many times in a row or losing many times, we can think of luck or bad luck, but thinking coldly, we see that it is nothing more than a coincidence.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there will always be moments that are very bad, but one must be mentally prepared to face a certain situation, to continue playing and studying to be better every day.

Q

Quikcue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
some say bad luck, some are accidents, some are mathematical calculations, everyone argues in their own way))) so I think that there is bad luck, although I myself realize and really there is only mathematics
Yes mathematics play a vital role in the outcome of most poker matches. Although math doesn't allow for rocks in the equations. Plus there are long shot bets put out for a reason and then you have the poker gods that see the hand in a different light . These things have no mathematical outcome and all play into any poker hand . No hand is a loser unless you make it one.

nighton

nighton

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Sometimes u are the one being lucky and sometimes ur oponnent thats how it works u have to maintain calm and play as u play

K

Kurchina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BA
Chips
Not really a matter of belief. Luck, unfortunately, is an element of poker.

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Definitely yes, there are days when one cannot win a hand, and where the good ones are not dealt to us throughout the game. and when we're short, we go all-in and get called with worse hands and get kicked out of the tournament. And the worst thing that happens to us in 3 or 4 tournaments on the same day.

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've had my ups and downs when it comes to poker and going ALL IN... But I've never blamed a loss in poker on bad luck.
In my opinion there is bad luck in poker, but that doesn't mean it's something that always happens, as there is luck in poker, there is also bad luck

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In poker, of course, there is such an element as luck, but basically your results depend on your skills, and a separate hand in the game depends on luck or bad luck, which does not always affect the final result!!! Here on the forum I see a lot of hands where the players say - "look, I'm out of luck" and I look at this hand and I don't understand why he even entered the pot with this hand!!!

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
To preserve mental sanity and to continue playing some players delude themselves with math and statistics to paint a picture that there is no such thing as luck in the game of poker. Numbers do allow an escapism from reality if you observe them from the angle you want to.

Obviously that is nonsense. Poker is a game of luck and chance, among other things.

All hands in the game of poker do not have the same value attached to them. Those which are the most valued will be considerably fewer and far between then the average or below average valued hands. And poker players will not have infinite time or money.

Long story short from there, you will have to be lucky to win in some key moments in your poker career if you want it to progress and last. Otherwise your path will be harder.

On the flip side there are players that contribute too much to luck in poker, that way explaining away their lack in skill thus success. Element of randomness and luck is defining you experience on this planet from the moment you have been born. But you still can make a lot with your efforts out of the tools you have been given. Poker is not an exception to that.

Tanamita

Tanamita

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
it happens, sometimes you're lucky sometimes you're not

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I call variance, not bad luck.

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Yes, I believe in the concept of "bad luck" in poker. There is an element of randomness in this game, which can take place in the outcome of the game. However, experience and skills play a critical role in ensuring success.

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
после того, как я вылетаю из всех турниров на последней карте, несмотря на то, что у меня обычно более 80 процентов до прихода пятой карты и 0 после нее, то я начинаю верить в невезение.

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Especially when the opponent on the fifth map catches 2-3 outs.

ednaroza

ednaroza

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
There are times when you will experience more loses and bad beats than usual, but I wouldn't call that 'bad luck', it is part of the mathematics of the game of chances - it will happen every now and then as well as the opposite - winning more often. :)

Magical

Magical

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I have to say, any high-level poker player will admit poker is a luck based games. The best players in the world can lose heads up to the worst, down to solely luck?

Anyone saying otherwise is crazy. Some may call it fate but just about sitting in the right seat and the right moment. The skill factors in to how much you could gain or lose in the hot/cold period. About it in my eyes :)

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only yourself must be blamed for bad luck.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Of course. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck. I'm just joking. It's frick & frack. The ebb and flow that is $ in poker. Someone's gotta win which means someone's gotta lose. Like right now as I write this, I'm recovering from a hideous beat. My A-10 got out-flopped by an A-2. Trust me, it was a donkey call on their part. I guess they crossed more body parts than I... Something to ponder. :unsure:

23maxim88

23maxim88

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Luck and bad luck happen in poker, but if you're a good player in the long run, you'll be in profit.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I did, I would have quited long ago.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that in poker, bad luck alternates with good luck, there is no constant bad luck if you play on a decent site.