Chris 'Fox' Wallace (Poker Pro, Coach and Author) - Ask Me Anything!

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Chris, I wish you a happy new year!

Are you going to play in some of the PokerGo Mixed Game Tournaments next month? What are your tournament plans this year? Maybe some of the Mixed Game WSOP tournaments?
I didn't play any of the PokerGo series, but will definitely play some mixed game events at the wsop. I'm looking forward to it, the WSOP mixed game tournaments are so much fun!

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello there!!

I play a lot of sat games at PokerStars and I feel like after some study I started to get better in this kind of game to enter the better mtts in a better price...

If you used to do this strategy too... do you think I should raise my range to exploit by shoving more often in position?
It's hard to say whether you should do something more when I don't know how often you do it now. It's tough to offer that advice in satellites in a general way anyway, because it depends so much on stack size and how close you are to the money. The bubble factor in satellites is huge and there is such a fine line between too aggressive and not aggressive enough. You should attack opponents who will never call, but only if you aren't guaranteed a seat yet.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Chris! Many people say that the RNG at PokerStars is handed over to players from whom they have more rake and who makes more deposits, what can you say about this?
While I think some sites have been crooked at times, something like this would be very unlikely at a big site like pokerstars. It would be a huge risk because their site would go broke immediately if it was found out, and there are many players tracking many millions of hands and it would be easy to catch them. In fact, I have done it myself and found nothing strange in the way the RNG was working over many millions of hands. And the extra money would be so small that it would be a terrible business decision to risk this incredibly profitable business for such a small increase in profit.

People say these to explain why they are losing because they can't understand why they lose more online. The reality is that the games are much tougher online, and many players who do just fine in live games can not beat online because they don't' study enough.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online RNG question : is the whole hand randomly generated at he beginning of the deal (like it does in live poker ) , or does it keep 'cycling' for the flop, turn and river ? if the latter case is true , it makes for head spinning questions about fate , luck and determinism ...... a tenth of a second pause probably would have changed the outcome of a bankroll changing hand ! do different online sites have other patterns ?
I honestly don't know the answer to that. Try not to let it make you crazy, it's all one long session, broken up by things like sleeping and work, and it will come out about how it should in the long run for most people.

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
Hello sir,
First of all welcome to CC.
And so sorry that I have given you such a late welcome greeting....

Very nice to see you here on this awesome platform.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello.
First of all, I would like to thank you for being here and ready to give advice to each member of the community. 🙂
I've been playing poker for a long time and it's more of a hobby than something really serious for me. Frankly speaking, I play pretty poorly and I have never used any poker tools to really improve my game, so I can call myself a beginner in this sense.
What poker tools, in your opinion, should be in the arsenal of every poker player to improve the quality of their game?

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi Chris, In the early stages of live MTT's, I can usually build up a decent stack. Then, in the middle stages, I seem to tighten up too much because I don't want to risk my chips. Then, I start whittling down until I am a short stack. What do you suggest I do to change my pattern?

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi Chris, I also like mixed games and since the WSOP is coming up, I am curious to know which WSOP event are you most looking forward to? Thanks for taking my question and best of luck to you.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I honestly don't know the answer to that. Try not to let it make you crazy, it's all one long session, broken up by things like sleeping and work, and it will come out about how it should in the long run for most people.
most people , yep . tell that to chris moneymaker after he filled up on the river vs ivey's set.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey CardsChat! I've just joined the team to write news and strategy articles and take photos at big events. I thought I would celebrate by doing an AMA here on the forums.

I have been playing poker professionally for almost twenty years, have written two books on the subject, worked for numerous training sites, and coached hundreds of students. I also won the WSOP $10k HORSE in 2014 for over half a million dollars and have made two deep runs in the WSOP main event.

If you have questions about poker strategy, life as a pro, bankroll management, mixed games, tournaments, photography, writing, guitars, or the best places to eat in Vegas, I'm here to help.

My new book, Short Stack Ninja, was an Amazon Best Seller in it's first month and continues to get great reviews.
hello Chris,
I don't think any coaches are teaching most of the stuff I see in here lol, but my question is the game itself evolving into more of a bingo match?
I get beat regularly by trash hands I would not even play.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Hi Chris!

I know you won the WSOP $10,000 HORSE in 2014! I like it very much, as well as 8 GAME. I've won smaller amounts before, but I've never won a Horse tournament, because as many chips as I collect in different games, I regularly lose most of them in the Fix Limit parts... My question is, do you think it's worth using this knowledge in HORSE - 8GAME tournaments, or should I confirm my Fix Limit deficiencies in advance? Thank you in advance for your answer!

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi Chris,

What are the most fundamental considerations, facing a min raise, when in the big blind with a short stack? Can a donk bet/stop and go strategy be profitable sometimes? I think I over fold my big blind when under 20 big blinds, worrying about the loss of fold equity in later hands.

Thanks, nbg

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
At a full ring table where all players are aggressive as serious players would be a passive player or expect good cards in position to enter the well

whinwa

whinwa

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! Old Red Chipper here. Will you be doing more collabs with RCP? I absolutely loved your MTT course over there.

Best regards from Denmark.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Hi,

my question:

Are small pairs (55-22) and small suited Aces (A4-A2s) good hands to play at the very early stages of a tournament or is it proper to play conservatively to save chips for the later stages?

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hi Chris "Fox" Wallace,

i have only one question: which poker games are the best or fastest way to bring your bankroll on a higher level?
Greets Balou

Last edited:
Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi Chris, what tip would you give me to ease the pain of a tilt in a poker session?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello Chris, glad to have you here :D,

Which is easier in your opinion, the transition from cash to tournaments or vice-versa ? Thank you,

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hi Chris,

What is the poker format that you play the most? And which one is your favorite ( most enjoyable ) to play?

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hey CardsChat! I've just joined the team to write news and strategy articles and take photos at big events. I thought I would celebrate by doing an AMA here on the forums.

I have been playing poker professionally for almost twenty years, have written two books on the subject, worked for numerous training sites, and coached hundreds of students. I also won the WSOP $10k HORSE in 2014 for over half a million dollars and have made two deep runs in the WSOP main event.

If you have questions about poker strategy, life as a pro, bankroll management, mixed games, tournaments, photography, writing, guitars, or the best places to eat in Vegas, I'm here to help.

My new book, Short Stack Ninja, was an Amazon Best Seller in it's first month and continues to get great reviews.
Hi Chris, Can you tell us what article, book we can read to play tournaments? Thanks for your advice.