Chris 'Fox' Wallace (Poker Pro, Coach and Author) - Ask Me Anything!

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Chris. Do you believe in superstitions?
No. In fact, I'm against them because they cause us to focus on things that aren't real and that we can not change when we should be using our brain power to focus on things that we can change and that are real. Time spent on superstition is time wasted.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris, I recently tried playing 7-2 Triple Draw. It seems to rely a lot on luck. What strategy would you suggest for this game?
I've worked with many students on triple draw. If played well, it does not rely on luck any more than other games, and less than some, though it can certainly be frustrating at times. Play strong hands, especially in early position, snow only with your worst draws that missed badly, and learn more about the game. It's quite a complicated game, and good strategy takes time to learn.

One thing that may help is to always three-bet your one card draws and never three-bet your two card draws. Then your opponents never know what you are going to draw when you are in position and it will be harder for them to play against you. And if a hand isn't good enough to raise with as a one card draw, then you shouldn't be playing it.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Chris Wallace,
if you make a plan for the perfect day @ playing poker, self analysis, learning poker stuff - lets say round about 5-6 hours, how would you split it?

i want to claim 5 chips for this!
I would spend most of it doing self analysis and study if it were just one day. If I was doing this every day, I would spend an hour or two doing analysis and study and the rest playing.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Chris, can you tell me what kind of strategy should I play on heads up from a large tourney when I have the lower pot? The way I should play is different from heads of shorter tourneys? Thanks
The size of the tournament shouldn't matter. Once you are heads up, you are just playing for all the extra money above second place, so it has become a "winner take all" tournament at that point. And you should play just as hard for a dollar as for a million dollars because you want to be in the habit of playing your best all the time.

Learn your stack sizes. Use the right moves for your stack. Learn about resteals, four bet shoves, when to open shove and when to call all-in with different stack sizes. Short stacked poker is the easy part, work hard on that for a while and you will be great at it and can move to studying deeper stacks.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Chris, first of all thanks for answering our questions.

What do you think is the best way to scale from micro to low or mid limits?
From a bankroll perspective, just move up when you have enough and move down if you have to and build back up. If you can't build up enough cash to beat the next level, you aren't good enough to be playing it. From a strategy perspective, the biggest thing that holds people back is that they develop a style that beats the micros and they stop improving. Play tighter and more aggressive than you think. Stop seeing flops with weak hands, because you may be able to make a profit against really weak micro players with those hands, but you will lose money with them against stronger competition at higher levels. Play every game as if it were high stakes and the money really mattered to you.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi chris!
Its the first time i make final table in an omaha pot game and play like 35% hands that's bad? What percentaje of hand i should play it's diferent than hold'em to many suited conected hands to play
Should be more like 25% of hands at a full table, but the percentage goes up as there are less people at the table.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regards Chris, in which tournament was your best streak? And which hand was the winning one? if there is a video share it.
That would definitely be the 10K HORSE bracelet. We started with 30,000 chips and I only bagged 18,000 at the end of day 1. At the end of of day 2 I had a nice stack, but was not a chip leader. On day 3 I ran so good. When I bluffed they folded, when I value bet they called. I raised six hands of limit holdem in a row and won the blinds all six times.

I beat Randy Ohel heads up. In the final hand in Stud/8 he raised with aces and I had 235. I caught trips by fifth street when he started raising to get value from his aces and we got all-in. He caught an ace on sixth street. I made a full house on seventh street and he missed and I won it. The best day ever.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Cris!! I have 100 dollars of cash. With that capital you recommend me to play tournaments or tables in cash?
Whatever you enjoy more, just play very small. $1 tournaments, or the smallest possible cash stakes until you build up much bigger.

C

ChrisFoxWallace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello chris, the question is whether it was ever worth expanding the 3bet range by jacking into late positions in the stacks let's say we have 30bb, vilian has 58-65bb against the average player at his limits, sometimes you really want to 3bet but we have a small stack but play postflop with hands format a8s-a6s, k8s-k5s, qts q9s, k10o, not very convenient. or vice versa if the hand is playable against his range, but we want to get a fold immediately, like j10s, 98s, 9ts, and similar siuted connectors
As a basic rule, and sometimes we break this rule but not often, you should never 3 bet a hand that you plan to fold if your opponent shoves, when you have 30BB or less. Even 35BB is usually not a good spot to 3bet with weak hands. Most of the hands you listed are just a fold with a 30BB stack if someone has already raised. Save those chips to use them in a better spot.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
From a bankroll perspective, just move up when you have enough and move down if you have to and build back up. If you can't build up enough cash to beat the next level, you aren't good enough to be playing it. From a strategy perspective, the biggest thing that holds people back is that they develop a style that beats the micros and they stop improving. Play tighter and more aggressive than you think. Stop seeing flops with weak hands, because you may be able to make a profit against really weak micro players with those hands, but you will lose money with them against stronger competition at higher levels. Play every game as if it were high stakes and the money really mattered to you.
Thank you very much for the answer Chris, I will try to apply everything you told me. Greetings.

seiya1989

seiya1989

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello Cris how are you? What support program can you recommend to play poker that is not very expensive?

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi cris. I want to know if is good to play spin and go to build money? can be profitable? at least in your opinion

M

mysterykite

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Hi there Chris -
Newish player here -
Trying to balance study vs. raw playing time at the table. How much time should I be learning vs. actually playing in your estimation?

U

Ultra21

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Hello Chris, I got two questions:

What general strategies or adjustments would you suggest we make in daily tournaments? There are a few in my area, but I think they're just going to be a crapshoot where luck is heavily involved due to the structure. But still, I want your thoughts :)

Is Small Ball poker an outdated strategy or does it still have merit in today's tournaments? I've gotten back into poker and remembered reading from Daniel Negreanu's Power Hold'em Strategy about Small Ball a long while ago.

nighton

nighton

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi chris!
How do you become a good player you can learn for free or is necesary to pay for a coach?
I just play to have fun but want to know that

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know if Chris will be returning to reply to questions here so would hold off on asking more for now. :)

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hi Chris. How often do you rely on luck? can you go all in with AA? I folded AA once at the final table, I thought my opponent made a full house

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could you give me some advice on how to deal with the fear of playing at a higher level and losing money?

E

Easylu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hello Chris, it's a pleasure to know what type of members we have in this forum, it's a pleasure to read your posts and I hope to buy your book as well as learn from you. Thank you Successes!!!!

mbermejo174

mbermejo174

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello Chris!
What is your advice to avoid tilting at poker?

kabokinha

kabokinha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello Chris, welcome!

I'm from brazil, and I would like to ask what do you think is most necessary to become a profitable and professional player?

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
Hey Chris

My questions is:

What would you recommend to someone who is just starting to play mtts?

Welcome to Cardschat Chris

It's a pleasure to have you among us.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know if Chris will be returning to reply to questions here so would hold off on asking more for now. :)

Hi Chris. How often do you rely on luck? can you go all in with AA? I folded AA once at the final table, I thought my opponent made a full house

Could you give me some advice on how to deal with the fear of playing at a higher level and losing money?

Hello Chris, it's a pleasure to know what type of members we have in this forum, it's a pleasure to read your posts and I hope to buy your book as well as learn from you. Thank you Successes!!!!

Hello Chris!
What is your advice to avoid tilting at poker?

Hello Chris, welcome!

I'm from Brazil, and I would like to ask what do you think is most necessary to become a profitable and professional player?

Hi Chris, do you play online poker?

See my first post above - if and until Chris returns to this thread I wouldn't bother to ask him questions. :)