Baudib1 4001K post: Q&A

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious if you have ever heard this The third reraise means AA. It seems to me about 15 years ago that it was almost a way of telling your opponent I have AA if you reraised his reraise. Nowadays it seems that players are reraising and reraising with anything. Heck I was playing the other day and was dealt JJ in my BB. This was in a $10 bounty. Utg Raised he was reraised and the button reraised all in. Utg called and the other guy did too. I tossed my JJ. UTg showed 88, button showed 44 and the other guy had ace rag. It was ridiculous:eek:

yeah I've heard it. It's an old saying and there are lots of old poker sayings. There was one that said, "don't go broke with a queen or jack in your hand."
I think in your example you need to think about the mentality of the player pool you're facing and understand in a bounty tournament you will be facing a lot of gamblers, especially if the pot is already big and stacks are shallow.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Story/meaning behind your CC username?

The original 6 Dune books by Frank Herbert are my favorite books of all time. The main character in the first book is named Muad'dib. Baudib is a play on that using my name.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) How long did it take you to post 4K?
2) Do you post anywhere else like 2+2?
3)Why this poker forum?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
favorite food?

color?

movie?

vacation?

do u like the skype chat name "snow bunnies"?

probably salmon sashimi, if it's good and fresh it just melts in your mouth.

black

fave flick is probably Kill Bill

I rarely travel. I went to Europe after high school -- London, Paris and Madrid. That was fun.

I like snow bunnies better than Love Triangle.

as a bonus, " bizarre love triangle" is one of my favorite songs.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) How long did it take you to post 4K?
2) Do you post anywhere else like 2+2?
3)Why this poker forum?

I've been on here a long time, not always active. I'm thinking it's in my profile somewhere but I can't check cuz I'm typing on my phone on the train.

I post occasionally on 2+2 but mostly lurk there.
I'm a reg on another poker forum, if you'd like to know which one pm me.

I like cc cuz it's mostly a small group of regs with lots of occasional posters. I never felt like people made fun of me for being a noob here like they do on other forums. Admittedly other forums have more advanced or even famous members who post, but for the most part, the best players either stopped posting hardcore strat 3-5 years ago or only pass on insights for subscription sites now.

CC still has its own formidable group of players, plus I feel like the stuff I know is probably more helpful to people here where there are a lot of new players or micro stakes players.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing about position made me think about a hand I played at the borgata tournament. I raised UTG with AA and got 4 callers. board is super dry, K 8 3r. I bet 3/5 pot and get popped big by older guy to my immediate left. Everyone else folds. We were very deep because it was early and I didn't think I could get my money in good if I 3-bet him. so he gets to the turn and it's a blank and he checks behind. The river is another small card and I bombed it and he calls with his very obvious KJ/KQ.

I think he probably played every street badly but the consistent thing with bad players is they tell you the truth on the turn. The funny thing about nits is they don't use their image to bluff or put people to tough decisions and dont think about their image or perceived range when people bet into them. they think something like, "these guys always bluff me, I'm going to take a passive line here with my non-nut hand so I can pick off bluffs on the river and show down, damnit." I was a nit and used to think this way.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been on here a long time, not always active. I'm thinking it's in my profile somewhere but I can't check cuz I'm typing on my phone on the train.
like cc cuz it's mostly a small group of regs with lots of occasional posters. I never felt like people made fun of me for being a noob here like they do on other forums. Admittedly other forums have more advanced or even famous members who post, but for the most part, the best players either stopped posting hardcore strat 3-5 years ago or only pass on insights for subscription sites now.

CC still has its own formidable group of players, plus I feel like the stuff I know is probably more helpful to people here where there are a lot of new players or micro stakes players.

Above is so true, don't have a question right now but will, just wanted to thank you for taking the time to offer advice and answer so many posts. Thank You

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how long have you been with your girlfriend?

when you getting married?

am I invited?

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3. I don't track players live, it might be a good idea. But I have a pretty incredible memory when it comes to poker. I don't remember their names well but I can visualize their faces and piece together an estimated range when they raise from UTG or think of all the significant hands we've played together. I can actually remember most of the details of every big hand I've played online as well. Not the players in the hand necessarily, but the betting sequence and all. Sometimes I post hands in the HH section from years ago and I can recall the details all very vividly.

I am the same way. Apparently Doyle and probably a number of other pros too. Doyle had a quote that said something like "I might not remember a man's name, but I'll remember how he played a set".

Personally, I've always had a very good episodic memory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodic_memory, and quite a bad memory for names of people and places.

Do you think poker helped develop your episodic memory, or was it something you've always had? I'm interested in the answer since it's kind of a chicken and the egg paradox. eg do people with good episodic memory gravitate towards poker, or does poker help people develop an episodic memory?

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if there's a zero chance then you have to give me infinity:1 odds

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have been what most people would consider goth back in the day, let's say 5-15 years ago. I like dark industrial electronic music.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bink joebob you owe me 100*infinity dollars

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Back on train, went to NJ to visit now returning to NYc on NYE, sickkkk.

my gf is in Japan, we've been together 3 years. She doesn't believe in marriage apparently.

korn, ive always had a great memory for trivia. I could tell you all of Ted Williams best seasons and all of the world series winners. poker might be the first place I've found this type of memory for certain details to be useful.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who are your favourite artists (music) ?

If you had to recommend a type of "away from the table" study involving anything to help a microstakes player like myself, what would it be?

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You missed some questions on page 1 fyi

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bg -- sorry I missed your question. I talked about how I started in live games. Actually I could talk more about that:

I was a bit behind my friends in the post-Moneymaker craze. I remember playing at a Fourth of July picnic and I had no idea what I was doing. I got ATo at one point, I had maybe 20K chips and the blinds were 100-200 and I raised to 5K (lol), one of my friends went all in and I super snap called. He had Aces. I got better eventually.

That was the first time I had ever played NLHE; when I was a kid most people played 5-card draw or 7-card stud.

As far as online, I used to post on a forum of about 20 people where we talked about sports and politics. A lot of the guys were playing poker so I did, too, on pokerroom. I miss that site; they showed the odds street by street on all-ins, which I think most sites should use.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who are your favourite artists (music) ?

If you had to recommend a type of "away from the table" study involving anything to help a microstakes player like myself, what would it be?

My music tastes have changed a lot over the years although at this point I guess I'm in old-man territory where I don't really listen to new music at all.

When I was a kid I played guitar and mostly listened to old blues singers and classic rock. I also learned how to play classical guitar but I used my fingertips instead of fingernails. I love Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Jeff Beck, Beethoven.

I like some of the new wave type bands like New Order and Depeche Mode. My favorite gothy bands are VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk. I'm into some metal; I was a huge Metallica fan but they sort of sucked after their first few albums (like most bands, actually). NIN was my favorite for a while. I like Korn, Disturbed and System of a Down. The last metal show I saw was System of a Down, Rammstein and Slipknot.

I'll risk getting my man card revoked by admitting I really like Lady Gaga.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm pretty much a microstakes player myself. One thing I want to do is to start analyzing ranges and constructing ranges to play against them.

For example, let's take a specific player, or rather, a profile that fits a lot of players. They play 20/16, are positionally aware, folds to 3-bets 70%, 3-bets 4%, cbets too much and gives up his air on the turn.

From this we should be able to construct a range that plays well against their range, we can construct an unexploitable 3-bet range of nuts/air, as well as a floating range on various board textures.

I got this idea from Ronin Talken on 2+2 and it's one of those things that sounds obvious after you hear about it but I had never thought to do such things before.

I think studying hands and playing around with PokerStove or whatever odds calculator you have is tremendously helpful obviously.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's New Year's so I think a lot of people are hungover, lol. I wanted to post some random poker-related stuff here.

Timing tells are important. The long, obnoxious timedown and then shove is so often the nuts, it's the online equivalent to Hollywooding. But sometimes there is real indecision and if you can pick up on what people do in certain spots it's obviously very helpful.

I can remember the first time I really won a huge pot off a timing tell. It was deep in a rebuy on Stars, close to the FT bubble. I raised with 99 from HJ and I had a good stack. The only guy with a stack who could threaten mine was in the BB and I remember thinking, "I'll call anyone but if the BB shoves I'm folding."

Then the BB started to tank, then he shoved and for some reason it was as clear as day that he was weak. I called and he had 66. I ended up winning that.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's one of my favorite hands:

http://weaktight.com/2722435

Just a standard set over set, flush over flush over flush PLO hand. I run g00t sometimes.

Last edited: