Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Are you currently in any kind of 'SkypeGroup' or 'MSN', etc. ?
If not, have you been in any kind of SkypeGroup before?
If so, how did you manage to get into it? .. how did it come about?

Part of reason why I ask is > I've participated in a few groups in the past but none of them were what I was really looking/hoping for (either way too many members in it, or guys who weren't playin' similiar stuff, or problems/difficulties dealing with personalities that were tryin' to run the group/take over sort of thing).
I've seen some oppurtunities to get into smaller groups of players (MTT play) but was typically with > "if you sign up for some coaching, you will also have regular access to pariticipate in Skype Group...... "
'or' backing arrangements that included participation in group with backer.

Anyways, back to the question > have you had oppurtunity to do much of this & if so, how did it come about for ya?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in the cc skype group, I used to do IRC with the FTR guys. I don't support or endorse group coaching via Skype/Teamviewer.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much do you miss that Gabe Kaplan thread on 2p2?

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would you go back to FTP? (Sorry if this has been asked)

Are you playing mtt's seriously still? (same)

I haven't been around much and I haven;t been playing much either...should I come back?

Do you believe the world will end this year?

Any New Years resolutions?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After Gabe left HSP, it was pretty much doomed.

I'd play on FTP if the former owners had no association with the site.

Not playing any MTTs lately, the only live MTT I played was at the Borgata in September.

Up to you I think.

I'd bet on the world not ending, but you never know. I have a feeling something historically significant could happen though.

More sex.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol, Im an idiot. I meant Gabe "I can beat any live pro" Costner. That thread on 2p2 was pretty epic and saw that you posted in it a bunch. I wanted that match to happen, woulda been interesting.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, the Gabe Costner thread was epic. Sad to see it die.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't he the rigtard pro? Think I banned him here.

CuttleFish

CuttleFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most notable was probably Peter Murphy. .
Peter Murphy as in Bauhaus Peter Murphy? Wow, for an ex-goth that would be like being in a threesome with Siouxie Sioux and Robert Smith :)

CuttleFish

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So like, ask me anything, pretend this is a "well" for a super baller player except that I'm not as good, so don't expect great answers.
I was pretending this was a well for a super baller but just not as good , so I didn't expect great answers . but read the whole thread and found it very interesting with some good answers :)
After Black Friday, I started reading and studying a lot more and I began understanding a lot of different concepts I had never heard of before. I wish I had had this epiphany years ago, but oh well. If I get to play online again I am pretty confident that I will be able to improve even more, but who knows? In live games it's hard to get enough volume or find enough spots to put concepts into practice.
first question :) do you plan to share these epiphanys with your fellow CCers ?
It's hard to find a good game that doesn't rape you on rake in the city. Places get busted frequently enough that the cost of doing business is high; most places are looking to take as much money out of the game as possible before getting shut down.
ever come close to getting busted for the crime of playing poker ?

Everything is on topic, whether I choose to answer is up to me
what questions would you refuse to answer ;)
baubid 1; said:
"Let There Be Range" is pretty good, I totally paid full price for that! maybe
did you or didn't you :p how much did you pay and how has it helped you .

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started a thread a while back on a lightbulb moment I had about speculative hands, dividing speculative hands into two categories: small pps and suited connectors and talking about how they play differently even though everyone sort of treats them the same preflop.

It's not like I'm holding anything secret but it's not like anything I've figured out hasn't been stated a thousand times by better players.

I could probably sum up all these revelations in a few quick points so I'll give it a whirl:

1. Seize your equity
2. Fight for more pots -- fight for big pots because they are big and fight for small pots because no one else will.
3. Punish people who try to pot control out of position.
4. Trying to pot control out of position is bad. For the most part, don't do it.
5. Exploit people who are unbalanced.
6. Value bet thinner.
7. Bet-fold is the nuts at low stakes.
8. Too many players think, "Well I wouldn't play xx hand this way so I don't expect villain to do that." Even some really successful players seem to do this. Understanding your opponent and how your opponent is trying to win is really important. Once you figure that out, the adjustments will usually be obvious.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanted to add something to the last post.

I read Jungleman's well before and found something that really opened my eyes. He said something like, ask yourself, "What is bluffing with?"

If you think about this and sort through his/her ranges street by street it really helps, especially vs. a thinking player.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please could you elaborate on a couple of these for me Sir :icon_salu

Like explain them as you would to a completely new player because I'm not sure I fully understand the logic behind these ones:

1. Seize your equity

For example, shoving/re-raising if you are in position with JhTh on a As8h9h flop and you suspect villain/s have AK or AQ because they raised PF and put in a decent sized c-bet?

3. Punish people who try to pot control out of position.
4. Trying to pot control out of position is bad. For the most part, don't do it.

These are the ones I'm most unsure about.

5. Exploit people who are unbalanced.

How can you tell if someone is unbalanced? What does that actually mean and how would you go about exploiting them?

Thanks.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. yeah, your draws are always going to have the most equity on the flop.

There are other applications of this concept.

Let me give you an extreme example that DOES come up.

In a live game recently, this guy got really tilted and bought back in for $100. He went all-in blind. He did this 3 hands in a row, buying back for $100 and going in. He kept losing every one. He was on my immediate left. When I was in the BB, he straddled to $15. 4 people called. Having watched the callers play vs. his previous all-in blind hands, I knew most of them would raise an above-average hand. I had QT hearts in the BB and shoved.

There's still a pretty decent chance one of them is trapping. But I know my hand obviously has good equity vs. a random hand (almost 60%) plus I have HUGE fold equity vs. everyone else and I'm certainly not going to let them call first.

3/4 This goes hand-in-hand with capped/uncapped ranges, IMO.

Let's say someone who's decent raises pre. You call on the button. Flop is J86r. He bets, you call. Turn is a 2 and he checks.

You should pretty much bet your whole range here, certainly Jx, T9, 97, overs, 8x, whatever you got to the turn with.

He has capped his range while yours is largely uncapped. You can have some sets here as well as AJ, which is certainly going to be the nuts vs. whatever hand he's checking the turn with.

5. It depends on how they are exploitable but this is like the essence of playing poker, exploiting people who don't play optimally.

Let's start with fish. Fish are the easiest to exploit. Let's say this is a loose passive fish. There are many ways to exploit him:

1. Value-bet him to death, this includes top pair/overpairs/nut hands. Don't slowplay or be afraid of WA/WB or being check-raised or whatever. Take him to valuetown.

2. When you show strength and this loose passive raises you, just fold.

But really, try to figure out what mistakes people make and exploit them.

If they love to level themselves into hero calls, overbet shove the river.

If they tend to call flop/fold turn, double-barrel with a range weighted toward air and sometimes check back your good hands.

If they flat raises out of the blinds too much, make your raise-size bigger OTB.

etc.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a hand recently that illustrates the pot-control point.

There's a $5 straddle in a $1/$2 live game. 2 people call and I call with 65 hearts from CO, BB calls.

Flop is A42 with 1 heart.

2 people check and guy in front of me bets $10 into $20. I beat him into the pot. I could have raised here but the truth is I was going to make the same bet so it went in really fast. Bettor commented, "Wow, instacall."

This player actually knows what he's doing but he was playing fairly tight and somewhat passive in spots.

Turn is a 7, a great card for my hand, he checks and I bet $20.

River is another 7, he checks again and I bet $45 and he snap folds.

In this spot his range is totally face up; he'd for sure raise some big Ace pre. He has some weak suited Ace, perhaps A5 or A3 with a gutshot added, and is pot-controlling with his weak made hand, checking for showdown value.

I'm obviously betting the turn when he checks and I'm firing on any river he doesn't bet, except perhaps an A river. He's c/cing because he has showdown value and is hoping either I don't bet or that he hits a 2nd pair. My range also contains some nutty hands like 44, 22, A4 that I might play this way.

I have a bluff here but it doesn't really matter; any hand I'm betting the turn with I'm going to play the same way.

Last edited:
micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. yeah, your draws are always going to have the most equity on the flop.

Atm I'm trying to think about my pot equity and fold equity during play.

The QTs hand you describe is an example of squeeze play really isn't it? You took advantage of the fact that they would call this guy with weakish hands giving you the fold equity you needed. And as you said vs a random hand you have reasonable pot equity too.

13/4 This goes hand-in-hand with capped/uncapped ranges, IMO.

Let's say someone who's decent raises pre. You call on the button. Flop is J86r. He bets, you call. Turn is a 2 and he checks.

You should pretty much bet your whole range here, certainly Jx, T9, 97, overs, 8x, whatever you got to the turn with.

He has capped his range while yours is largely uncapped. You can have some sets here as well as AJ, which is certainly going to be the nuts vs. whatever hand he's checking the turn with.

So we can define pot control as basically trying to keep the pot small with weaker hands or no hand.

Capped or uncapped ranges aren't terms that go through my head when I play hands like this but I think I am doing the right thing because I would also bet here almost always. If I think they are showing weakness by betting small or checking the turn I raise and bet with anything from middle pair to ace high. Usually they have made a c-bet and are now slowing down or giving up on the hand after I float the flop.

I had a nice hand the other day where I called a large (5BB) raise with 66. Flop was JT3r and villain c-bet just under pot. I had 200+ hands on him and noticed that he had a 100% flop cbet stat (18/18 or something) but only 30% turn cbet so I floated. When he then checked the turn I bet 3/4 pot and he folded.

Trouble is I know villains exploit me in this way too. Sometimes I double barrel bluff and induce a fold, other times I give up and they make me fold. I find this scenario tricky to deal with and it really highlights the importance of position.

The worst is when I double barrel bluff OOP then give up on the river, they shove (shove bluff a lot probably) and there isn't anything I can do but fold. I did triple barrel bluff with AK recently and induce a fold which was satisfying but normally I wimp out before then.

5. It depends on how they are exploitable but this is like the essence of playing poker, exploiting people who don't play optimally.

Let's start with fish. Fish are the easiest to exploit. Let's say this is a loose passive fish. There are many ways to exploit him:

1. Value-bet him to death, this includes top pair/overpairs/nut hands. Don't slowplay or be afraid of WA/WB or being check-raised or whatever. Take him to valuetown.

2. When you show strength and this loose passive raises you, just fold.

But really, try to figure out what mistakes people make and exploit them.

If they love to level themselves into hero calls, overbet shove the river.

If they tend to call flop/fold turn, double-barrel with a range weighted toward air and sometimes check back your good hands.

If they flat raises out of the blinds too much, make your raise-size bigger OTB.

etc.

I suppose I find the LAGs the hardest to deal with. How do you deal with them, apart from the obv. tighten up and let their aggression pay you off when you have something?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trouble is I know villains exploit me in this way too. Sometimes I double barrel bluff and induce a fold, other times I give up and they make me fold. I find this scenario tricky to deal with and it really highlights the importance of position.

If you think people are floating you too much to bluff the turn, then you should adjust.

1. Cbet less often, and occasionally check good hands (like TPTK on dry boards in position).
2. OOP, check-raise the turn with big hands.

The worst is when I double barrel bluff OOP then give up on the river, they shove (shove bluff a lot probably) and there isn't anything I can do but fold. I did triple barrel bluff with AK recently and induce a fold which was satisfying but normally I wimp out before then.

I would not assume you are being bluff-shoved on the river after you fire 2 very often. I'm not sure what stakes you play but people in the micros just generally don't do this often. How often do you bluff shove the river?

If you feel someone is really a retarded aggro who is going to double float and bluff the river, bet small or check the river to induce maximum spew with good hands.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not assume you are being bluff-shoved on the river after you fire 2 very often. I'm not sure what stakes you play but people in the micros just generally don't do this often. How often do you bluff shove the river?

I def need to get better at noting and adjusting to players tendencies in terms c-betting and floating etc. There are so many players on PS the note taking seems a bit fultile sometimes.

I play 5NL or 10NL. You're probably right, maybe they mostly aren't bluffing here...generally I assume they aren't bluffing unless I have some kind of read.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your 65s hand, you put him on quite a precise hand (weak suited ace like A3s), but he could easily have something like KQs and have just been making a standard c-bet on an A containing flop right?

ALso what does straddle mean?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think he is betting KQ or something as he wasn't the PFR. I think my float works in this spot because there's not many draws on the board and he doesn't expect me to try to bluff him off his very obvious Ax.

A straddle is a blind raise, usually UTG. Straddles on the button are called Mississippi straddles, a straddle after UTG is called a sleeper that is only activated if no one calls before the sleeper.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you mean when you say b/f is the nuts at microstakes?

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he means his boyfriend is really good at microstakes