57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is plenty of frustration and criticism expressed on CC regarding donks, and I'm afraid that much of it comes from insufficient knowledge about the species. As a donk myself I would like to share with you some insight.

Donk play, even though not as profitable as tight aggressive play, is superior to passive play of any kind, and has the advantage of being quite enjoyable and liberating.
As a donk, knowing that you are making decisions that are questionable at best and downright reckless at the worst, you don't feel frustrated by a negative outcome, and appreciate a positive outcome to the fullest.
There is no feeling of entitlement because you don't keep folding, waiting for that monster starting hand to finally trap someone.
As a donk you receive less bad beats than you give, and even when you suffer a bad beat it only feels natural. True donks almost never berate their opponents after receiving bad beats, and that is not due to having superior manners, it's because donks truly experience less frustration.

Here are some donk traits that are not only useful in poker, but also carry well in everyday life:

Donks are optimistic, expecting a positive outcome even when the odds are stacked against them.
Donks have thick skin and care less about what others think about them.
Donks don't judge others, and don't feel the need to tell them what to do or what they should have done.
Donks are resilient, they tend to recover after significant losses sometimes on sheer positive expectation.
Donks are unafraid, even being surrounded by sharks will not deter the donk from executing his plan.

So if you are a fellow donk yourself wear your accolade with pride, and for the other folks who never play in freerolls like a donk, you don't know what you're missing :)

I try all sorts of types of play. This makes me a donk in my own right. I don't care what others think. I focus on my own game and try to improve it as much as I can and still have fun doing it.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your thought of as a donk player if you find people saying that to you a lot or calling you fish a lot! I can assure you the day will never come you will hear Pro or respect unless it is in your own head!

I

ios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
One day I thought I could earn some money on poker. I was reading guides, books, etc. Sometimes I had a nice winning streaks, but then series of loosing. Now I just play for fun, no pressure, no big money. This way feels a lot better for me. And if someone calls me a donk? Hey, donkey is such a nice animal :)

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is plenty of frustration and criticism expressed on CC regarding donks, and I'm afraid that much of it comes from insufficient knowledge about the species. As a donk myself I would like to share with you some insight.

Donk play, even though not as profitable as tight aggressive play, is superior to passive play of any kind, and has the advantage of being quite enjoyable and liberating.
As a donk, knowing that you are making decisions that are questionable at best and downright reckless at the worst, you don't feel frustrated by a negative outcome, and appreciate a positive outcome to the fullest.
There is no feeling of entitlement because you don't keep folding, waiting for that monster starting hand to finally trap someone.
As a donk you receive less bad beats than you give, and even when you suffer a bad beat it only feels natural. True donks almost never berate their opponents after receiving bad beats, and that is not due to having superior manners, it's because donks truly experience less frustration.

Here are some donk traits that are not only useful in poker, but also carry well in everyday life:

Donks are optimistic, expecting a positive outcome even when the odds are stacked against them.
Donks don't judge others, and don't feel the need to tell them what to do or what they should have done.
Donks are resilient, they tend to recover after significant losses sometimes on sheer positive expectation.
Donks are unafraid, even being surrounded by sharks will not deter the donk from executing his plan.

So if you are a fellow donk yourself wear your accolade with pride, and for the other folks who never play in freerolls like a donk, you don't know what you're missing :)

You’re right that donks are unabashedly reckless and it is entertaining at the least. At first, I would be ready frustrated by donks big stack bullying me, but I learned to be patient and shove them on the river when I have the absolute nuts.

There’s nothing better than being a shark and profiting off of donk’s negative EV plays :))

Arthrob

Arthrob

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always keep an eye on them, to know if they really are extreme amateurs, if they use this move as a strategy. In poker everything goes and it is always valid to be wary of all bets!;):icon_stud

I was already called donk and fish, but it happened because I won the hand and the villain did not conform to the beet !!!

Last edited:
Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donks will always exist, we have to fight them lol ...

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And if someone calls me a donk? Hey, donkey is such a nice animal :)

Donks are very nice. They have large penises too, especially the black ones :D

I

ios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Donks are very nice. They have large penises too, especially the black ones :D
Actually, I've never checked genitals of one ;D But I do believe your words ;P

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

The problem is that you definetely can not erase them from poker at all
Therefore you must learn to take the most of them

Rgds

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there such thing as a donkeyfish because I've been called one?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

One of the nicest posts I've ever read on CC. Pleasant writing, funny and logical insight. I admit that I've never thought about some of your ideas concerning your "species". But man, make a deposit and play your donk way for some serious money then come back here and give us a donk lecture ! :hahaha:.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for a thoroughly positive description of a donk. Glad to hear you are proud of your playing style. People like you are fun to have at the poker table and as friends. You play poker to have fun and enjoyment, not to be profitable in the long run.
Continue to enjoy the game and hopefully we will meet at the tables.
While I aim to avoid 'donkhood' and be a profitable, long-term winner, I do not criticise others for their chosen style of play.

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donks ruin the game

Personally, when I am playing a 50 dollar tournament and I am beaten down by some idiot who plays any 2 cards and is either the luckiest person in the world or they are cheating for the site as no matter what hand I have they will call all the way and hit a river card you know would help nobody who was actually playing poker would have, yet somehow the villain calls down with 9 5 off and hits some ridiculous hand. I am ready to quit playing online but there is no live poker anymore/

C

chattydb4567

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just gotta know who’s a donk

If u know ur opponent is a donk u hv a bet and act accordingly cuz they read a situation as a seasoned player

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The great old DONK DEBATE continues lol..but it is always going to be part of the game but is it a positive one or negative I've experienced this topic the last 10 years and as of today you have understand that if you play freerolls that you will 100,% be running into the ...CONSTANTLY and most of the time they will shove in bad spots and completely screw your hand out of a win ..it is what it is people freaking out won't help now when I completely hate when that player jumps into my games (where they shouldn't be and do the same stupid all ins and screw you over for large sums of money then usually giggle ....now that really makes me pissed of....,YES true story ..player jumps into my 25/50 game and shoves first hand 2/3 off suit at my blind AA and board runs 9.5.K.2.3 he then proceeds to giggle then plays 5 more hands then leaves ...lol pot was 15.000 as well

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually, I've never checked genitals of one ;D But I do believe your words ;P

You don't have to actually check the genitalia. Just look at the ears and do the math :D

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But what's the definition of donk?

If you are taking the definition from what we call a donk-bet, either it's a leading bet against the original preflop raiser or a min bet to a huge, in comparison to the bet, pot, then I can't see how these moves can construct anything like a strategy that could labeled under a name, like lets say donk strat :p.
I guess 'donk' more goes to describe bad behaviors and leaks rather than thinking choices and winning moves.

After your post, description and your thoughts on the subject you don't sound so much of a 'donk' to me.
Probably you could write almost the same things describing a LAG which is an entirely different case.

But then again maybe I'm taking it all wrong and you know exactly what you 're talking about xD.
Can you elaborate? Definition of donk please! xD

For the purpose of my original post, I find the following David Sklansky quote to be close to the definition you are asking for:

"In many locations you constantly run into people who know how to play pretty well if they have to, but don't. In a tournament, they tend to play a little better, but their overall play is poor because they are there to have a good time. Of course they enjoy winning more than losing, but they enjoy playing most of all."

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your point of view.. I pletty honest on your part to tell all of that thoughts..

I dont really fight freeroll players, because there are there for some reason, to learn to play the game or improve, i get angry when i get donks on low stakes and beats me

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

although I don’t agree with many of the things you’ve written here, I think everyone has the right to play according to their wishes.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Great Post!

Question, How does one become a league captain? :joyman:

It's a very cool badge you have!!

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donks an insite ?

Donks, Are in the eye of the beholder.

Lets face it. You paid your entry, if you choose to play 23o in any position may be unconventional, but profitable in the short term, or once, its your investment.

How many people purchased stocks that went down...or nowhere.. As said, at worst you have a 23 per/cent chance to win with any two cards.

Buy a lottery ticket at 14 million to one...

Not to mention, Villain plays GTO ( a range) in certain positions. Play outside the range.. They do not expect to be caught with crap... then the yelling starts. OMG... DONK... IDIOT... how can you play such crap....

Why play crap?
1/ position
2/ chip stack
3/ the look on their face
4/ odds ( lots of limpers)
5/ I just don't like you..

6/ Keep them guessing
7/ Clint Eastwood ( "do you feel lucky, Well do ya .Punk") :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LOL

Last edited:
Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DonkII

Get sucked out on by a donk
or