About donks

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is plenty of frustration and criticism expressed on CC regarding donks, and I'm afraid that much of it comes from insufficient knowledge about the species. As a donk myself I would like to share with you some insight.

Donk play, even though not as profitable as tight aggressive play, is superior to passive play of any kind, and has the advantage of being quite enjoyable and liberating.
As a donk, knowing that you are making decisions that are questionable at best and downright reckless at the worst, you don't feel frustrated by a negative outcome, and appreciate a positive outcome to the fullest.
There is no feeling of entitlement because you don't keep folding, waiting for that monster starting hand to finally trap someone.
As a donk you receive less bad beats than you give, and even when you suffer a bad beat it only feels natural. True donks almost never berate their opponents after receiving bad beats, and that is not due to having superior manners, it's because donks truly experience less frustration.

Here are some donk traits that are not only useful in poker, but also carry well in everyday life:

Donks are optimistic, expecting a positive outcome even when the odds are stacked against them.
Donks have thick skin and care less about what others think about them.
Donks don't judge others, and don't feel the need to tell them what to do or what they should have done.
Donks are resilient, they tend to recover after significant losses sometimes on sheer positive expectation.
Donks are unafraid, even being surrounded by sharks will not deter the donk from executing his plan.

So if you are a fellow donk yourself wear your accolade with pride, and for the other folks who never play in freerolls like a donk, you don't know what you're missing :)
Nothing to add, Yes Yes, that's right:D:D:D

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well ... if there are donks , bad players , extremelly loose and obviously disrespectfully aggressive plays/players , any other kind of bad players .
Moreover , if there is anything else that is not so good or even more it is condemned by many , maybe most people sometimes .... .
It doesn't have to be their gamestyle particularly , but anything at all that might be controversial , such as the tools/help they receive or use , their behavior at the tables , live or online , etc .
As long as it is permitted by poker forums , pokerrooms , the organisers of games/tournaments , the most of co-players , the laws , or whatever else , which means as long as they don't punish them , that means we shouldn't care at all , neither write long essays against them or anything similar (cause this has be done unsuccessfully countless times in the past ......) .
Why should we bother ?? Should we continue be against them only for the '' phychological warfare against them , in case we get rid one , two (??) most hatefull of them ??? (maybe some with the best/great results indeed , wouldn't that be nice , would it ?? .................) from the games , the forum , the pokerroom , our lives , or whatever ???. No .... Besides ...... 1 goes , 100 come ....

We should adapt our style to each occasion , each person , use their ways , tools , do anything else permitted to be the winners eventually , we can't do anything else , either you adapt or you lose . .
If there is no restriction , let it go...... (what is a cheating and what is not , what is good and what is not , what is ethical and what is not , what used to be good/bad/etc and not anymore or vice versa , who actually is what he claims to be (against all these unacceptable ways ) and not a deceitful , tricky one , who sometimes , especially when he can't win differently , will use these methods, tools ,ways , behavior , etc in order to succeed and then trying to excuse himself that he did it by mistake/lack of knowledge/whatever , which (hypocrisy) happens a great deal of all times I have to say . ) . This also goes for everything in life ....
If there's no punishment (punishment for all , not for few weak , just to nurture a feeling of fear only to the other weak/fish , that happens in life , doesn't it ?? ) , don't concern yourself , nowadays I also say this to myself . Either it is allowed or it is not not , either you adapt or you lose , everything else is deceptive mindgames or a loss of time ...

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice ! Best to keep thoughts about poker donks to yourself but sometimes it hard not to comment online

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Sometimes we are all donkeys and we like this! :) ... or maybe you are all the time and you don't realize! :)

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must always learn the game, but what's the point in the game as a donk? You won’t go far with such a game

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is plenty of frustration and criticism expressed on CC regarding donks, and I'm afraid that much of it comes from insufficient knowledge about the species. As a donk myself I would like to share with you some insight.

Donk play, even though not as profitable as tight aggressive play, is superior to passive play of any kind, and has the advantage of being quite enjoyable and liberating.
As a donk, knowing that you are making decisions that are questionable at best and downright reckless at the worst, you don't feel frustrated by a negative outcome, and appreciate a positive outcome to the fullest.
There is no feeling of entitlement because you don't keep folding, waiting for that monster starting hand to finally trap someone.
As a donk you receive less bad beats than you give, and even when you suffer a bad beat it only feels natural. True donks almost never berate their opponents after receiving bad beats, and that is not due to having superior manners, it's because donks truly experience less frustration.

Here are some donk traits that are not only useful in poker, but also carry well in everyday life:

Donks are optimistic, expecting a positive outcome even when the odds are stacked against them.
Donks don't judge others, and don't feel the need to tell them what to do or what they should have done.
Donks are resilient, they tend to recover after significant losses sometimes on sheer positive expectation.
Donks are unafraid, even being surrounded by sharks will not deter the donk from executing his plan.

So if you are a fellow donk yourself wear your accolade with pride, and for the other folks who never play in freerolls like a donk, you don't know what you're missing :)

I would guess that the above traits you attribute to your average donk applies to approximately 1% of them, Probably overstating but hey, I'm a nice guy. :)

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would guess that the above traits you attribute to your average donk applies to approximately 1% of them, Probably overstating but hey, I'm a nice guy. :)

99.9% of the people are nice, according to themselves :)

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone else mentioned above, very original and clever post!

It's an extremely valuable skill to be able to see things in ways others do not, to be open-minded and not scared to be different- I commend you for that!

Question:

If I bring carrots, sugar lumps or something like that to the table with me, will this help pacify any donks at my table and dissuade them from cracking my kings with J3s and let me live?

If not sugar/carrot but something else, then what? :)

It would be +EV to communicate to any donks that I do not hate them and they're not my enemy, I mean you no harm! :flute:

Thank you very much for your kind words. To answer your question, I believe not all donks have the same preferences, but I'd take a beer on occasion :)

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Well, that explains a lot of things, now I understand everything.
I recommend you never deposit to play with real money.
play in carschat, and if you win something here, invest in playing a tournament, but never deposit.
Your mentality zinsir, is to see poker as a video game, for example I like to play fifa, and often a 15-year-old boy kicks my butt, whit score 2 - 15, and its fun.
But poker, in my humble opinion, I think is different, there is a percentage of luck, it is true, but there are also mathematics, probalities, how profitable a long-term play is, etc.

I look at poker as a hobby, and if I earn a few dollars it's fine, because I like playing poker a lot, and I always try to play well, even if it's a freeroll.
Especially in the home games league, which is a team game, I try to play much better, so as not to harm my teammates and get ridiculous with an absurd game.

Last edited:
zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, that explains a lot of things, now I understand everything.
I recommend you never deposit to play with real money.
play in carschat, and if you win something here, invest in playing a tournament, but never deposit.
Your mentality zinsir, is to see poker as a video game, for example I like to play fifa, and often a 15-year-old boy kicks my butt, whit score 2 - 15, and its fun.
But poker, in my humble opinion, I think is different, there is a percentage of luck, it is true, but there are also mathematics, probalities, how profitable a long-term play is, etc.

I look at poker as a hobby, and if I earn a few dollars it's fine, because I like playing poker a lot, and I always try to play well, even if it's a freeroll.
Especially in the home games league, which is a team game, I try to play much better, so as not to harm my teammates and get ridiculous with an absurd game.

Feel free to do whatever makes you happy, in poker, and in life as well. We, Donks, don't judge others, and don't feel the need to tell them what to do or what they should have done.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I think being a donkey in the game creates a false illusion that you are a good thing that can lead you to different problems in your family life, the best if you consider yourself a donk is to try to improve if you really want to enjoy this beautiful game

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess I am one of those members that have written my disgust at having been beaten by donk type plays. Now that I have read the post at the beginning from Zinzir (aka self proclaimed donk) I can see things from their point of view. Might try a game or two playing the "donk" style to see how things pan out. Might be good for a laugh as he says.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think being a donkey in the game creates a false illusion that you are a good thing that can lead you to different problems in your family life, the best if you consider yourself a donk is to try to improve if you really want to enjoy this beautiful game

Oh man, your opinion about donks is so low that you are considering us "things"...That makes me sad. Sad donk :(

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Oh man, your opinion about donks is so low that you are considering us "things"...That makes me sad. Sad donk :(
I do not consider them something low I just say what I learned by studying that they give clear examples that by playing that way one creates the false expectation of being a good or great player and almost always these kinds of players with a false illusion risk many things and in the end they end up losing because in big tournaments there are very good players who know how to treat these situations well for their benefit with this. player

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is one of the funniest posts I have read in a poker forum, and not without actual insights (though I am and probably will remain a TAG by nature and choice ).

Nh, sir. [emoji106][emoji1]

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post. What I got out of this post was the sense that becoming a donk led to a sense of freedom at the tables....playing without stress. I think being able to switch into "donk mode" would be a valuable tool for tournament players. When I recall some of the tournaments where I made it to the money with a big enough stack to make a run all the way to the final table I remember I didn't do it without some LAG play. I certainly acted like a donk at times but by mixing things up and throwing people off I won some pots. The big thing for me, though, was a feeling of relaxing when I decided to go ahead and loosen up. As the stress meter went down I found the freedom to make some plays I would not have made early in the tournament. So donking is a strategy....who knew.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we need donks on the tables. Build chips as much as we can till, donks run out of bullets, some people just like to do anything and everything once they are learning the game and see what works!

lnm2308

lnm2308

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hello, wow, thank you very much brother, it is as if you knew me and you have described me completely in just post haha, although I agree that it should feel as you are describing it, I consider that more there is that each one is the owner of playing as more like it and have fun, we know that in the long term they will only end up hurting playing that way, to start it is not bad, but to avoid putting your money at risk one and another you have to consider stop being on the list where you can describe with an animal (donkey, fish, whale etc) good luck at the tables:p

Rocky87345

Rocky87345

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I had AA all in pre flop against AJ and 1010. I lost to trip 10s. Donk got me. Makes me want to quit poker sometimes. I know it's just bad luck but it happens all the time. At least it happened at the beginning of the game.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All what you say is good and understand that, but I wonder how much money you have made with a donk play. Umm... None? Well, that explains a lot.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that poker is a game that should be fun for the player first and foremost. If it is a pleasure for the player to play as a donkey then this is his right. Everyone has the right to play as they see fit. The main thing is to have fun.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is always a place for a donk bet. OOP facing weak opponents on a Axx unsuited board for one.

Holding a weak Ace in late position or the SB or BB is another facing 2-3 opponents.

There is a place for the donk bet.
However, by donk most mean you donk off a stack OOP with weak holdings. This is a bad habit to have and one that can be fixed with practice.

Remember there is always a spot for a donk bet, but never a spot to donk off all your chips. If that makes sense.

At that point you would be a fish, who donked off your chips..

AKA an amateur who made a bad play oop for your whole stack.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love donkey players. Thanks to these players, the game becomes interesting and fun. In addition, such players are always a good opportunity to double your stack.

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
80 % i love donk players............they help verry fast to grow my srack.............but 20% they are like a virus.........you protect.........you play well......and they got lucky with no logical view......and you lose......i call them BINGO players........

They ar dangerous..........don t play with donk because they have the brain relax......

Last edited by a moderator:
venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each is free to play as you want, it's bad to lose hands ridiculous, but victory for them is the risk premium that ran.