AA or KK: Which Do You Prefer? (edit note: previous title was AK or KK, but original post is AA or KK)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very good question. I have logged 100s of hands from play online and the winner is ......:fight:

AA 48% wins overall

But wait...

:pcguru:

KK 87% win overall.

Wow! Hands down.

Wow, call a plumber you have a leak!

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure if you're joking, but my stats are telling a similar story. everyone replied like im an idiot, but i never even said which hand is better.. i said what do you like more lol. you dont have to like AA just because its technically better.... in my experience, KK makes more money :)

If they are similar with a 39% difference, you should be looking at the hand history to find out why.

C

colbear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Presumed

They didn't say preflop. So it depends on where and when. Of course if a K is on the flop then there is that. I tend to worry when the A flops and I have kk. In general I am trying to go all in preflop because I am behind in a tourney or go smaller bc I only hv a pair. Tend to loose too much money to two pair.

With no other information available you must say AA is the better hand

1Player

1Player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK is easier to get away from.

But come on. Math is math. AA is much better.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KK is easier to get away from.

But come on. Math is math. AA is much better.
I understand your thinking. Try both all-in online for a few times and let me know what your results are. Mine, and most are all-ins, are KK 14/16 wins, AA 15/30. No difference in strategies. Good luck!

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mathematically AA over KK all day long, buuuuut, on a personal tracked level (worst time happened for over 3 months) AA has failed me 4/5 times. The opposite of probability. Pushed me right out of playing for over two years.

otzme

otzme

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Statistically AA, but lately I'm luckier with KK.

S

shadow72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As previously stated, I'll stick to Omaha and take both lol.

But seriously, I'm thrilled to get either in NLH.

In a way, KK are better because there's a better chance someone with an ace (depending on all the circumstances) will be willing to play a big pot against you, and, let's be honest, the chances are small that an ace will hit the board in that situation (even though somewhere in our brains we believe an ace will hit 98% of the time lol).

But, if I had to choose one over the other, obviously I'd take the AA.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA you always want to start with that but have to fold on some tun outs also

N

Nico_ico_404

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But still, the answer is obvious, because the question is only in the probability! And generally AA wins!

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I win more with aces than kings. Seems like every time I have kk and raise I get called by very weak ace and of course the flop has an ace. I am obviously exaggerating but I definitely have run better with AA.

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont even understand what is asked here. AA is always better than KK. The only way I can see somebody defending KK over AA is linked with psychology - let's say that it hurts less when you lose hand with KK. On the other hand, if you look at bigger picture here, both hands are really good and losing any of them would hurt anyway, so there is no point in arguing that KK is better than AA.

i guess you didnt read it right but i asked what was liked more, not which was better.

one comes down to personal preference, the other comes down to math. obviously, mathematically, one hand is superior to the other. but statistically, in my experience, i win more money with KK than AA but the sample size is still small so we'll see how it is in another year or two :)

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience, i win more money with KK than AA but the sample size is still small so we'll see how it is in another year or two :)

Exactly. If KK is ahead of AA in your particular sample then you haven't seen enough hands for the variance to play itself out. AA wins 3-4% more often than KK vs. any two cards (a random hand) preflop. This may not sound huge but it makes a big difference. The main difference between AA and KK is that AA retains it's power against even the tightest ranges like 4% {JJ+ AK}. KK Needs the Villain's range to be a little wider to retain a sizable advantage. Just as a quick example, AA will win 85% of the time against a random hand, and will still win about 82% against TWO random hands (in the case of a three way All-In). Kings don't keep their strength as well as Aces do once the pot goes multiway. The Aces are much more robust. Facing two shoving opponents, the pocket Kings' equity drops from 82% down to 69%*. whereas the Aces' equity remains above 80%. This is why JJ, and QQ need enter pots with a big raise, to ensure that they get to the flop/showdown facing preferably only 1 opponent, because any additional opponents in the pot drastically reduce their equity. KK is affected in a similar way but not as seriously as Queens and Jacks. Hope this helps. R

*These equities assume that opponents are playing with any two cards. In reality, players are more likely to play reasonable hands and ranges, and so these equities will be lower in reality. However, the relative strength between AA and KK still holds.

Last edited:
AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like both equally but I’m sure everyone loses with those hands as much as they win. It just stings a little more when it’s with those monsters lol.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I don't like neither of them.

vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these are the two top couples that I just adore in poker )) but of course more than just AA

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think it іs obvious. Of course that AA is better.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Best starting hand is pocket AA's, got to go with that.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like being in both AA and KK combinations. I do not like AK.

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone likes AA more. And I'm no exception.

maybe you should read through the three pages of posts here and ... find out for yourself you're wrong in making that assumption :)

for such a stupid post, it has generated a lot of responses.. im actually quite surprised myself, when i made it i thought it would be looked at, laughed at and ignored lol.

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally, i prefer seeing either or, anytime. and i usually play them the same preflop. but i am blown away but the statistics from my last month alone with these hands... some how i always get sucked out on with aces, as compared to only half the time with kings :p lol probably because with KKs you can fold to an ace and save yourself some losses but... doesnt explain why aces make less.

need, bigger, sample size! lol

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simply AA, KK still have worries pre flop With AA worries start with post flop

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who is a professional player knows that laughing at others doesn't help their bottom line. People need to remember that everyone is at different stages in their game. If we all knew everything there'd be no need for a forum. So I never laugh at beginner questions. I just try to patiently explain as was done for me when I started out. That's how we build a useful card players community

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Having them is not the same as playing them properly. It's like holding dynamite but you need to place the charge correctly or not light the fuse.