Would you ever fold pocket kings preflop ?

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes,I did,but I didn't want to, the flop and river that opened made me not doubt the strength of my opponent's hand

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rarely, this would be totally dependent on situation ... like a bubble play where someone’s forced me all in. Especially if it were more than one person. Really, this is about the only situation I can think of.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the torunament is on the bubble, and I need the money, fold vs an all in hand is not bad idea. I do this 2 o 3 times.

C

captain1821

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that in a tournament, when you are at the bubble and a player with a bigger stack that seems to never bluff, goes all-in, the only logical move is to fold your kings.
So, yes, folding kings preflop is acceptable under a few situations.

Nevertheless, folding Kings preflop is a hard decision and many people including me, fail to fold when they have to and many times they pay for it.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Personally I have folded many times KK in ZOOM 9max preflop , I pay attention to the stacks , the action before me , if I suspect AA or my stcack is too big to go allin with KK preflop , I fold . I prefer allin with KK with smaller stack , but that's me :) In tournaments it's much harder to fold them , very very hard , almost impossible for me .

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I could fold KK preflop...folded to a flopped ace many times, but pre?...don't think I could fold.

P

Pokerman32750

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never before.. but the question is, 'would we ever?' Depending who is raising me under what circumstance but almost always, a resounding no..

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I would fold KK's preflop.

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two kings are a bad omen, I'd rather bet everything preflop and make everyone fold than want to catch someone because I'll surely end up losing.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would probably never fold kings preflop in a cash game unless at least 2 very tight players shove all in preflop and i have a deep stack like 200bb or more and in that case i might consider folding the hand, same thing in tournaments i need to have a deep stack and at least 2 all ins from tight players to even consider folding the 2nd best preflop hand.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There was a time when I might possibly have folded K-K. I can sometimes smell aces out there. When I used raise and someone came right over the top of my raise for all of their chips, I would think A-K or a small pair. But when they 3-bet, let's say 5x my original raise, it made me think that they wanted to get them in, but they didn't want to run me out of the pot, which of course reeks of aces. So under certain circumstances I could see myself folding.

But the way so many players play today, with unlimited re-entries, I see so many players willing to go all-in pre-flop with almost any pair. For that reason, it's hard to see myself folding K-K. Although a reasonably sized 3-bet makes me a little nervous, I feel like I have to call and if they have aces, then they've just got me.

Last edited:
el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: not kings you have to play it more aggressively.

Poma Lekain

Poma Lekain

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, in general, regularly!

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This question is very interesting. It was only at the moment of the game when this happened that I would consider whether to fold the hand. In fact it depends on several factors to be analyzed: stage of the tournament, number of blinds available for me to move on, behavior of the opponents, among other possibilities that may occur and should be analyzed.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Daniel Negreanu wrote about this in his book Power Hold'em Strategy, where he says that he would NEVER fold kings in fear of running them into aces preflop. If you do, its just a cooler but he says that doesn't justify folding them.

I found another site which makes a more interesting and nuanced claim... I'll quote it:

"The odds of somebody having pocket AA when you have pocket KK in a full ring game is 4.32%. However, in a 6 person poker game the odds drop sharply to only 2.88%. The reasons for this are pretty simple of course. More people at the poker table means more opportunities for somebody to have the one hand that beats your cowboys. So as a general rule I am just not going to be finding a fold before the flop with pocket kings in a 6max poker game, but I will think about it in a full ring game."
As is my norm, I won't post a direct link to that article but if you want to look it up, it is entitled "You Need to Fold Pocket Kings Preflop in This ONE Situation" on the blackrain79 website.

tl;dr Some say never fold KK pre, others say you can consider folding at full ring if villain is raising from early position, and I will add, if you consider your opponent to be an absolute rock (OMC type, Old Man Coffee).

Edit to add: I see he (Nathan Williams) also has a youtube channel (BlackRain79Poker) and he made a video on this topic, "Should You Ever Fold Pocket Kings Preflop?" for those interesting in digging it up and watching it. Just for the record I am not Nathan nor do I know him. :) But he seems competent enough in explaining this topic.

Last edited:
K

Knava999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, may I have overthrown kings more than once. There is a 20% chance that you will take it.

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, only if I somehow mis clicked.

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YES: Big payout jump, 3 all ins ahead of you.. you go from 5th to 3rd or 2nd... easy fold.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Cash Game... tighty goes all in under the gun..... with his/hers remaining stack ...... why risk it... you know what they have.. $!/$2 game $3 in the pot, tighty throws in $100..... You risk $100 to win $103 (you ) i want 97% or better, the best equity you get are 75% chance to win...
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thats what my brain says... but in reality... ?????

Last edited:
V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.No,I would not, mate.It is a great pair to fold.With that pair I would have a nice opportunity to double up my chips or win a good pot.I wish you a better cash session next one.

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! How are you? regarding the following question: Would you ever fold KK preflop? T

i am not talking about a bubble situation in a tournament but in general both in tourneys and cash games but especially in cash games

would you ever fold KK preflop ?

Hi! How are you? regarding the following question: Would you ever fold KK preflop? That depends on many factors: The position you are in, if you are about to reach the final table for example and they throw me all in, I would fold.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I am not having to call all my chips, no way. If the all in is a tight player, I would have to think about it.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i am not talking about a bubble situation in a tournament but in general both in tourneys and cash games but especially in cash games

For me to fold like that, I would have wanted a lot of information from the opponent.

She would have to be absolutely sure that he would have Aces.

An almost impossible situation.

W

Wilpokert

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nerver fold KK

never fold KK or AA and lose 80 %:mad:

Folding in Poker