Playing with low pair

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If by raise we are talking 3betting then in the blinds against a loose late raiser perhaps. I'd generally rather call with them and set mine for cheap. I'll play an unopened table anywhere from middle position onward.

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would only play with these hands if I passed my 3BB max pot, more than that, depending on the position, I wouldn't enter the round.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've been leaking like crazy with low pairs. Found I was playing way too many of these out of position.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it all depends on the situation, it is advisable to play such hands more often by raising on the preflop, and if we are out of position, then play through a 3-bet for the initiative on the flop, so that the subsequent continuation bet looks natural, sometimes you can call according to the pot odds, especially if there are already there are many players, the size of our stack also plays a role, but in general, such hands, especially from early positions, are most often folded

choche0372

choche0372

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
what books about poker do you recommend to read?

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This answer is very personal, because it depends on each player's tactics, but in my case I would only raise if it was 1x1 this round and depending on the stack as well, as they are very low pairs to bet your chips strongly.

WDStipa

WDStipa

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
With cards 22 or 55 in my hand, I would raise before the flop only in the situation if I am the last on the move (big blind spot) or if I am among the last and if no one raised before me.
I wouldn't raise much, depending on the amount of chips I have, about 3 BB.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe it's not even worth raising at all with such a hand, if there is an opportunity to see the flop cheaply, then you can go into the hand, raise or re-raise is not worth it, there are preflop tables, look, there these hands are marked how to play, and remember that the chance to catch a set on the flop is only 10%

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Call them in position but don't open them it's to risky that you get 3 betted.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Me personally, I will fold from UTG or early position, they are tough to play if you face a 3-bet & even tougher if you are head-up with overs on the flop. From mid-position onwards, is when i will be interested in playing them. But i will never limp.

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not going to lie, at cash game tables I only get involved in the bet if I have strong cards, I play a more accurate game, I avoid getting involved with any hand, even more low pairs, the fall can be big!

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends on stack sizes, but generally if you're first in the pot and not from early position.

Granted, I'm not a great player, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I agree these hands play pretty well heads up in position. You don't have play the pure hand value of these little pairs when last to act.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To play with low pair is often a lottery, I think... Because if You caught up a set with low pair on a Flop,
your opponent can to catch a set with more high pair...

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Of course, it largely depends on your position and your opponents. Although I do raise with a small pair preflop, quite often. But if your opponents are donkeys, it doesn't change anything :)

DTaboada

DTaboada

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I love do that. Lose money most of times.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very difficult to play for low as any top pair or any high card the board and two top pairs take your hand away.:( In my case, usually low pairs only equal a blind maybe don't follow her hoping to have a threesome Or maybe some poker.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think most of the time with these hands your main goal is to see the flop as cheaply as possible!!!

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If you are always raising big hands your play becomes face up. Use the small pairs to raise and set mine. This balances your range.
Unless the flop is good, or your opponent is weak, you are in check-fold mode from then on.

treblek1

treblek1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5-5 good and ,but the opening also largely depends on who is at the table and how aggressively 3bets are made.
22-44 good late position opening cards,(CO,BTN)
my opinion.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open raise.
UTG: +55
MP: +44
CO,BTN, SB: +22

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Mix it up the actions with small pairs. To be played with care.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Lately I haven't bet all inn even with AA, as for your question, wait for the bets and set a value, sometimes I follow my intuition
You're baked with potatoes my friend hahaha:addict: :addict: :addict:
A bad streak that will soon be cut
You'll see that the good stuff starts now
Cheers;););) Carlos

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Good question brother
I'll tell you what I do
According to the MTT, if you're just starting out, I can even do a miniraise from UTG and wait, although the manuals say that from UTG you can't do a miniraise if you don't have 10 or 10 up.
If I am in a bubble, in UTG, UTG 1, MP, MP 1 and MP 2 I retire, in CO I could do a miniraise depending on how BU, SB and BB play, in BU and SB almost certainly miniraise, and in BB depending on how the hand comes if there is no 3bet or 4bet and it depends on my stack how much I call limp.
Once I've passed the bubble I'm almost the same as in the bubble with the difference, for example, that I can't get good hands to play and I have 3 BB left and then I go all-in in any position and God help me hahaha.
In reality 22, 33, 44 and 55 are too strong to be able to see a flop and the set is made, or in a check/flop the set is done on the turn but nothing more than that. You have to have an incredible read of the game to win a river with just a pair of hands of these cards. For example, if you read that a villain, based on the betting range, you sense that he has an AK and that he will surely continue to bet on the river and you will continue to pay and in the community, for example, it comes out 336 9 8 but hey this would be a miracle but in some live tournaments I have seen that some very good players have succeeded.
Cheers;););) Carlos