:::November micro ca$h game thread (strategy):::

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't really mean that you call with the same range you open with right? I mean if you're on the BTN with K9 you'd open with it but you'd be a fool to call a raise with that hand if someone opened from early or mid position.

I do make some adjustment to the range...but not much I must admit. I realized my mistake, it's why I did this post :)

As for what range you should be CCing with. Pairs in set mining situations, occasional SCs from the BTN when implied odds are high, and AQ.

I like that advice, seems like I am definitely calling too much preflop. I would throw K9 away but I am calling with AT, KJs and stuff like that, which is probably a big leak.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That poker video just demonstrates to me how important it is not to feel bored while I am playing a card-game.
I posted a poker-related graph on this thread, and I was told this thread was too cliquey for me to be posting.
I say :p phfft, and I don't care about the next thing that happens to me because of it.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your graph wasn't posted ITT. It was in the other thread.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My default for 6max is to raise all Axs from any position, A2-A5 and AT+ from the CO and any Ax OTB.

For FR UTG - UTG+2 I think you have to be quite a bit tighter. Its been a while since Ive played FR but for UTG I think AQ+ is the bottom of your default raising range.

Id play the same range I listed for 6max once we're through the 3 EP positions. You can probably get away with being a little tighter because the blinds dont hit us as often.
So you would open raise with A2s from MP+1 in FR?

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for what range you should be CCing with. Pairs in set mining situations, occasional SCs from the BTN when implied odds are high, and AQ.

This is great! I tried it last night and had a really good session.

My stats at one table were 19/19, AfQ 69, 3bet 13% (150 hands). Never had these kind of stats before!

I realized that cold calling too much is the sole reason for the large gap between my VPIP and PFR stats, and has probably been a massive leak for me.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

NO! Please dont do that unless you want to spew money away.

Opening low Ax is best off on the button or co when you think you're gonna effectively have the button! Just think about who's gonna call, who you want to call, what range of hands you want to play against them before you raise etc.

I would open A2o all day long against two tags in the blinds or a LP that folds to c-bets but id rather open TJo than A5s against a loose passive who never folds to c-bets or someone aggro fish who would keep betting all the time.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO! Please dont do that unless you want to spew money away.

Opening low Ax is best off on the button or co when you think you're gonna effectively have the button! Just think about who's gonna call, who you want to call, what range of hands you want to play against them before you raise etc.

I would open A2o all day long against two tags in the blinds or a LP that folds to c-bets but id rather open TJo than A5s against a loose passive who never folds to c-bets or someone aggro fish who would keep betting all the time.
That's why I was quite surprised by what Brank said...

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's why I was quite surprised by what Brank said...
Opening all suited Aces is pretty standard from EP in 6max games. But the real key thing you need to take away from the what should I open discussion is that you should open hands that will play well against your most likely callers. So if you're in MP1 with 3 nits to your left and a super fish in the blinds you should probably open all Ax hands because you're very likely to see a flop HU with position against a really bad player. Now if one of the nits calls you need to rethink how you plan to play the hand but that's not the most likely scenario and not the one you should be planning for when you're deciding what to open.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Opening all suited Aces is pretty standard from EP in 6max games. But the real key thing you need to take away from the what should I open discussion is that you should open hands that will play well against your most likely callers. So if you're in MP1 with 3 nits to your left and a super fish in the blinds you should probably open all Ax hands because you're very likely to see a flop HU with position against a really bad player. Now if one of the nits calls you need to rethink how you plan to play the hand but that's not the most likely scenario and not the one you should be planning for when you're deciding what to open.
Thanks, that is not the way that I currently tend to think, so it's something that I must work on. I like to have a fish to my immediate right ideally, or two seats to my right if necessary, and I often have nits in the two seats to my left. This allows me to take from the fish liberally, and also to steal blinds from the players to my left.

However when I have a fish to my left (generally when I have a fish each side, with me sitting as piggy in the middle) I am a lot more cautious because I am very aware of being OOP against the fish to my left. So I am a lot less likely to steal from people with high VPs to my left, and although I am quite happy isolating a fish to my right I feel a lot less comfortable about isolating players to my left. Lack of confidence, I suppose.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, that's fine. Playing OOP sucks even against bad players.

The basic point I was trying to make is that you should think about who is going to call and how you're hand is going to play postflop before you open any hand. You should consider relative stack sizes, positions, player types, and your image before you do anything. Having a set range is a great place to start but knowing when and why to deviate from that range is where you want to go.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That poker video just demonstrates to me how important it is not to feel bored while I am playing a card-game.
I posted a poker-related graph on this thread, and I was told this thread was too cliquey for me to be posting.
I say :p phfft, and I don't care about the next thing that happens to me because of it.

nah, pc, as WV says, you posted in the other thread. that thread's for fun, and very rarely poker, this is the thread for poker strategy etc. Glad you found this thread, feel free to post away, egt involved with the excellent discussion going on.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

WV basically explained what I was thinking.

I also said that in FR you could stand to be a little tighter because the blinds dont come around so fast. I also tend to play a little looser so I think I would start with those hands in that position in my default opening range even at FR and adjust as needed.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
question about PT3

I often use filters on PT3. At the moment I have a '2NL this month' filter applied so I can keep track of how well I am doing this month, particularly as I am adopting a tighter more aggressive approach recently.

When filters are applied, you can still see all the stats for a player on the HUD right? Stupid question I know, and I'm 95% sure the answer is yes but I just want to check.

For example, if I have played a few hundred hands against a player at 5NL, these hands will be included in his HUD stats when I play him at 2NL with the 2NL this month filter applied, right?

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pretty sure whatever filters you put on your stats do not affect the HUD. Thats the way it is with HEM, anyway MM.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often use filters on PT3. At the moment I have a '2NL this month' filter applied so I can keep track of how well I am doing this month, particularly as I am adopting a tighter more aggressive approach recently.

When filters are applied, you can still see all the stats for a player on the HUD right? Stupid question I know, and I'm 95% sure the answer is yes but I just want to check.

For example, if I have played a few hundred hands against a player at 5NL, these hands will be included in his HUD stats when I play him at 2NL with the 2NL this month filter applied, right?

The filters don't affect what you see BUT by default you'll only see the hands you've played with someone at the current level. So you won't see the 5nl hands at 2nl or vice versa.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The filters don't affect what you see BUT by default you'll only see the hands you've played with someone at the current level. So you won't see the 5nl hands at 2nl or vice versa.

OK, thanks, I didnt know that. So do you think it is sensible to keep it like that or can/should I change it so I see the hands from all levels?

Edit: I checked and I have 'show stats from current cash limit only' unchecked in the configure HUD bit, so I should be seeing everything.

Last edited:
Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I checked and I have 'show stats from current cash limit only' unchecked in the configure HUD bit, so I should be seeing everything.
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't noticed that option, and I had often wondered... !

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if we can have stats (maybe in the popup) of the player against specifically US. I.e. if I think he's 3betting ME light compared to others, I'd like to see if my feelings at the time match with the figures.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that should show you everything. I always have that checked. People often play differently from level to level.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to be clear, we're talking about this check box right? Cos I've UNchecked mine.

Attachments

• HUD.jpg
    HUD.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 29
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't noticed that option, and I had often wondered... !

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if we can have stats (maybe in the popup) of the player against specifically US. I.e. if I think he's 3betting ME light compared to others, I'd like to see if my feelings at the time match with the figures.
Not possible with PT3 or HEM afaik. Maybe HEM2 or PT4 can/will do this but I haven't looked at either tbh.

Top 10 Games