:::November micro ca$h game thread (strategy):::

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*bracing myself for a slating*

So I have 54 hands on villain now, but when this happened probably only about 20 and tbh I wasn't looking at his stats anyway.

I prob shouldn't have called the 3bet, but then again we were both over 250 BB deep so I had good implied odds. But is the reason we don't call 3bets to set-mine not only to do with implied odds but also because you might run into a monster set like this??

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($0.80)
BB ($0.71)
UTG ($2.09)
UTG+1 ($1.54)
Hero (MP1) ($5.51)
MP2 ($6.37)
CO ($6.24)
Button ($6.34) 31/9 10% 3bet (54 hands)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5
diamond.gif
, 5
heart.gif

2 folds, Hero bets $0.06, 1 fold, CO calls $0.06, Button raises to $0.27, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.21, CO calls $0.21

Flop: ($0.84) K
diamond.gif
, A
club.gif
, 5
spade.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets $0.40, CO calls $0.40, Button calls $0.40

Turn: ($2.04) 4
heart.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets $1.50, 1 fold, Button raises to $5.67 (All-In), Hero calls $3.34 (All-In)

River: ($11.72) 8
diamond.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $11.72 | Rake: $0.58

Results:
Button had K
club.gif
, K
heart.gif
(three of a kind, Kings).
Hero had 5
diamond.gif
, 5
heart.gif
(three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Button won $11.14 :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah you had the implied odds to call, and it was a cooler.

But the deeper you get the more you need to be able to at least consider folding bottom set - time for another boob graph? ;)
yeah, hardest thing in the world to do is fold a set on that board, there's so much you believe you're ahead, I dont think I could fold there, but alarm bells would ring when he shoves, thats for sure. You pray he has AK.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you calling with the jj hand preflop?

I think calling a 3-bet with JJ is OK isn't it?

Its not good enough to 4bet or shove against most villains, but its too good to fold IMO. Especially as this is 2NL, I have been in similar spots to this where I have called the 3-bet, they check the flop, I bet and they fold (presumably AK, AQ or 88). Furthermore, I know the sample size is low but he did come across as aggressive, meaning he could even be 3-betting with something like AJ or AT.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OOP I think you need a good reason to be just flatting the 3bet, whether that's because he 3bets too much or plays very face up post, you say he's aggro so I would say jamming>folding>flatting, he's just gonna put u in tough spots OOP which is something to avoid!

as played I prob c/c the flop and re-evaluate ott, keeps his range wide and bluffy, but still puts us in difficult turn spots, which is why I think jam or fold pre

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also, the similar spot u describe above is where your ip which isn't very similar and much easier to play :)

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OOP I think you need a good reason to be just flatting the 3bet, whether that's because he 3bets too much or plays very face up post, you say he's aggro so I would say jamming>folding>flatting, he's just gonna put u in tough spots OOP which is something to avoid!

Good point, this has come up a few times now.

From now on I will really try to avoid calling 3-bets OOP.

Is it ever OK? I can think of one reason to do it, which would be to setmine with the correct implied odds. In the hand we are discussing the call to potential winnings ratio is ~1:10. If he had a 200BB stack behind, making the ratio 1:20, I would be good calling here I think.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to have a good read on villain though MM.Just because he has 200bb does not mean he's going to stack off with AA to a turn CR.For that matter he might check behind the turn to control the pot with only one pair given you checked called the flop.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to have a good read on villain though MM.Just because he has 200bb does not mean he's going to stack off with AA to a turn CR.For that matter he might check behind the turn to control the pot with only one pair given you checked called the flop.

Yeah, if anything he is less likely to stack off. I know I am cautious about getting into big hands with another deep stack. And also, look at the trouble you can get into when they hit higher set, like in my 55 hand above. Maybe its safer if I just avoid flatting 3bets OOP completely, and just 4bet or fold.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I flatted the BB's 4bet because I thought CO would call it as well. My plan was to then shove/call a shove on any flop. CO has a high 3bet stat and was pretty much loose passive so I thought he would call the 4bet but if I shoved pre he would probably fold (with such a high 3bet stat he likely doesn't have much). Fair enough or should I 5bet shove pre here to avoid suckouts?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP2) ($2.54)
CO ($6.84) 35/16 14%3bet, 100 hands
Button ($1.62)
SB ($4.67)
BB ($2.04) 22/18, 7%3bet, 50 hands
UTG ($0.75)
UTG+1 ($1.61)
MP1 ($1.81)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A
heart.gif
, A
club.gif

3 folds, Hero bets $0.08, CO raises to $0.18, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.52, CO calls $0.42

Flop: ($1.81) 6
heart.gif
, 4
diamond.gif
, 4
club.gif
(3 players)
BB bets $1.44 (All-In), Hero raises to $1.94 (All-In), 1 fold

Turn: ($4.69) J
diamond.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($4.69) 6
spade.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $4.69 | Rake: $0.23

Results:
BB had Q
heart.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
(two pair, Queens and sixes).
Hero had A
heart.gif
, A
club.gif
(two pair, Aces and sixes).
Outcome: Hero won $4.46

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pretty much knew I should call here when playing but didn't realize the odds were so good until working it out afterwards. Does anyone have a quick easy method for working out stuff like this in game?
So is that a no, then?

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with a high 3bet stat against such a large cold 4bet i'd just jam pre, i doubt co peels way more often than he calls all in with stuff like 78s

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, discussion time. how do you play Ace-rags(AT and lower sooted) in early/middle/late position in either 6 max or 9max?

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My default for 6max is to raise all Axs from any position, A2-A5 and AT+ from the CO and any Ax OTB.

For FR UTG - UTG+2 I think you have to be quite a bit tighter. Its been a while since Ive played FR but for UTG I think AQ+ is the bottom of your default raising range.

Id play the same range I listed for 6max once we're through the 3 EP positions. You can probably get away with being a little tighter because the blinds dont hit us as often.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a question for some discussion...

You have a villain to your right with a Vpip of ~75 and is open shoving ~50% of hands. Effective stacks are 300bbs. Everyone else at the table has ~100bbs. No one is calling down light.

Whats our calling range here?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how many are left to act. If it's BvB I'm calling with probably 20% of hands.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya, I know this is very much a "it depends" type of question.

So for the sake of discussion say we're OTB and the blinds are the typical 20/18 type TAGs.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably a bit tighter then top 15% I'd say.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, for 300bbs I was closer to 9-10%. 99+, AT+, KJ+. Too nitty?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have no fear he'll be running if he doubles, I don't think being deep would matter to me. That said if others aren't adjusting you could probably afford to wait for a top 10% hand to call.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, for 300bbs I was closer to 9-10%. 99+, AT+, KJ+. Too nitty?

I probably do the same, I prefer to wait for a really good hand to play vs the maniac, it tilts me too much when I lose otherwise!

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cold calling preflop raises

Can someone please advise me about cold calling raises preflop.

I think I do it too much...I usually call raises with the same range that I would open myself from the position I am in. I only 3-bet premium hands (JJ+, AK) and very occasionally as a bluff. This is causing quite a large gap between my VPIP and PFR (I am around 24/15 at 6max).

I was reading a guide to beating the microstakes the other day that said you should always fold if someone has raised before you, unless you are going to 3bet.

Is that good advice? :confused:

It certainly would bring my VPIP and PFR closer but I feel that I would miss out on a lot of opportunities. For example, if someone has raised 4BB and another has called, I will call too with 9Ts on the button. In another example I would call a raise in the CO with AJs, unless it was a total nit raising. Should I really be folding in these cases?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't really mean that you call with the same range you open with right? I mean if you're on the BTN with K9 you'd open with it but you'd be a fool to call a raise with that hand if someone opened from early or mid position.

As for what range you should be CCing with. Pairs in set mining situations, occasional SCs from the BTN when implied odds are high, and AQ.

Top 10 Games