HooDooKoo's Cash Game Thread

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK. I'll try and cut it down. I played 3,300 hands Saturday, though, and have questions about more than just 3 of them.

Thanks.

-HooDooKoo

Ya, just pick 2 max. Otherwise you're going to overwhelm people. Any others we can discuss during our coaching session also, or just post them outside of the thread in the cash games forum.

You're doing well so far. Keep it rolling.

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 29:

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

UTG ($254.50)
MP ($610.36)
Hero (CO) ($247)
Button ($190)
SB ($386.98)
BB ($72.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with
th.gif
ts.gif

UTG raises to $7, MP calls $7, Hero raises to $23, 3 folds, UTG calls $16, MP calls $16

Flop: ($72)
jd.gif
2c.gif
js.gif
(3 players)
UTG checks, MP bets $40, Hero calls $40, 1 fold

Turn: ($152)
9d.gif
(2 players)
MP bets $42, Hero calls $42

River: ($236)
jh.gif
(2 players)
MP bets $236, Hero calls $142 (All-In)

Total pot: $520 | Rake: $3

Results below:
MP had J
club.gif
, 6
club.gif
(four of a kind, Jacks).

Hero didn't show 10
heart.gif
, 10
spade.gif
(full house, Jacks over tens).

Outcome: MP won $517

This hand is against the same lagtard as in hand 26, but earlier in the session. Villain was literally playing any two cards (although not for $23 pre). When villain donk-led, I put him on air --- so I only called, hoping to get value on later streets. 9d on turn isn't scary, so I again just call thinking I'm ahead and not wanting to scare the fish away. Despite river shove, I still think my hand is good on the river and I am certain that villain is capable of shoving air in this spot. I understand that I'm also behind AA, KK, and QQ but I don't think these hands are likely given preflop betting. Given the board runout, should I be able to get away from this hand against a total lagtard?

Hand 30:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

Hero (Button) ($331)
SB ($51.62)
BB ($73.65)
UTG ($528.01)
MP ($173)
CO ($430.18)

Preflop: Hero is Button with
8d.gif
8h.gif

2 folds, CO raises to $6, Hero raises to $17, 2 folds, CO calls $11

Flop: ($37)
qs.gif
9d.gif
8s.gif
(2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $22.50, CO calls $22.50

Turn: ($82)
9h.gif
(2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($82)
9s.gif
(2 players)
CO bets $14, Hero calls $14

Total pot: $110 | Rake: $3

Results below:
Hero had 8
diamond.gif
, 8
heart.gif
(full house, nines over eights).

CO had 10
club.gif
, 7
club.gif
(three of a kind, nines).

Outcome: Hero won $107

Couple questions about this hand, the last one being the most important: 1. Is my flop bet big enough? I don't want to scare away players holding a J or 10, but I can't let them get a free card, either; 2. What do we think about the turn check? 3. The river was an easy call because it was only $14 bet into an $82 pot. What if villain shoves here, though? I could obviously be beaten given the horrendous board runout, but I also just showed weakness (potentially) on the turn with the check and the villain may think a big bet will get me off my hand.

That's it for today. Thanks again to all of you.

-HooDooKoo

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 29: This is hard to analyze, as I haven't played with villain before. The "lagtard" label doesn't give me a full picture of his tendencies. You may want to look for bet sizing tendencies from this guy (does he bet half-pot with nothing, full-pot with air, etc.). As played, if you really think he's capable of playing air so aggressively, you aren't off base, but even more loose/aggro players are reluctant to put in an entire stack with air on that board.

Hand 30: You can probably bet more on the flop since it is a really wet board. To be clear, you aren't just betting to discourage draws or give a bad price, you're betting to extract value from those hands. Your flop bet is already giving an incorrect price for draws but you can probably get more value from them with a larger bet. You should be betting the turn for the same reason. You can still get value from draws and from 9x hands that may have continued beyond the flop. The river is gross. Villain's bet is weird, but there isn't much you can do. If you raise, villain just isn't calling with worse. If he shoved river, you probably have to fold. If he had checked river, you actually should probably check also because you can never call a raise and you're rarely getting calls from worse hands.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
29: Unless you've seen him donk-lead twice with air or take very, VERY thin value-donk lines before, the turn is a very clear fold.

30: I would go just a little bit bigger on the flop, since it's so wet, but probably not bigger than $26. As played, there is no way in hell we should be checking this turn card. As played, river is a clear call. He can be value-betting/blocking with weaker fullhouses, and he's giving you an insane price.

But seriously, stop posting results. You're going to end up coloring a lot of people's responses.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 29 - Maybe it's just seeing the results but alarm bells should have been going off when he donked into you on the flop. I honestly doubt you're ever good there when he's bet into you 3 times.

Hand 30 - I'd bet bigger on the flop (~$30) because the board gives him lots of hands to call with and he's as likely to call $30 as $22 imo. I really have no idea why you would ever check the turn there. I mean if he has a draw he's still calling and if he has a 9/TJ we're getting stacks in much easier by betting the turn than checking back. What was the logic behind that check?

Also you'll get much better analysis is you stop posting results. Just post the hand up to the action you want advice on.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
29: Unless you've seen him donk-lead twice with air or take very, VERY thin value-donk lines before, the turn is a very clear fold.

30: I would go just a little bit bigger on the flop, since it's so wet, but probably not bigger than $26. As played, there is no way in hell we should be checking this turn card. As played, river is a clear call. He can be value-betting/blocking with weaker fullhouses, and he's giving you an insane price.

But seriously, stop posting results. You're going to end up coloring a lot of people's responses.

Hand 29 - Maybe it's just seeing the results but alarm bells should have been going off when he donked into you on the flop. I honestly doubt you're ever good there when he's bet into you 3 times.

Hand 30 - I'd bet bigger on the flop (~$30) because the board gives him lots of hands to call with and he's as likely to call $30 as $22 imo. I really have no idea why you would ever check the turn there. I mean if he has a draw he's still calling and if he has a 9/TJ we're getting stacks in much easier by betting the turn than checking back. What was the logic behind that check?

Also you'll get much better analysis is you stop posting results. Just post the hand up to the action you want advice on.
We posted at the same time but, yeah, what he said!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Although not sure I fold the turn in 29 since he's only bet $42 into $152.

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

I was trying to induce a bluff on the river --- which I did --- expecting to raise there. Unfortunately, said river was a terrible card for me and raising didn't seem prudent since he could easily have Qx.

I'll bet the turn next time, and stop posting hand results. Thanks.

-HooDooKoo

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although not sure I fold the turn in 29 since he's only bet $42 into $152.

Yeah but what air does he ever have at this point? We only beat worse PP's, and I'm not convinced he's going to bet that thin (again, since we are apparently read-less with regards to his donking tendencies). Looks like more of a "thin" value bet with weak Jx. Not saying I fold in-game, because lol-odds, but I'm certainly not excited about it. Might be out-leveling myself, but when he sizes basically the same as what he did on the flop, he can't really ever expect us to be folding, right? Which kind of makes me want to fold all my marginal hands.

I was trying to induce a bluff on the river --- which I did --- expecting to raise there. Unfortunately, said river was a terrible card for me and raising didn't seem prudent since he could easily have Qx.

I'll bet the turn next time, and stop posting hand results. Thanks.

-HooDooKoo

You want to induce a bluff... but then raise for value? I don't think we get called on the river if we raise since most of his hands at that point would be bluffs or thin value. Plus he is literally never folding 9x, so we miss and a ton of value by checking back the turn imo.

Last edited:
H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 31:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

Hero (CO) ($131.90)
Button ($90.90)
SB ($81.75)
BB ($99.15)
UTG ($66.85)
MP ($64)

Preflop: Hero is CO with
qc.gif
qs.gif

1 fold, MP calls $1, Hero raises to $4.50, Button calls $4.50, 3 folds

Flop: ($11.50)
as.gif
2s.gif
5s.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $6.75, Button raises to $13.50, Hero calls $6.75

Turn: ($38.50)
kd.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $22, Hero calls $22

River: ($82.50)
9c.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $50.90 (All-In)

Should I be re-raising a flop min-raise in this spot? And should I be considering calling the river shove? Thanks.

Hand 32:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

MP ($70.36)
CO ($66.75)
Button ($351.09)
SB ($10.80)
Hero (BB) ($100)
UTG ($162.20)

Preflop: Hero is BB with
5s.gif
5c.gif

UTG calls $1, 4 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($2.50)
2s.gif
as.gif
2h.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

Turn: ($2.50)
4s.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

River: ($2.50)
5h.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $2.50, UTG raises to $8, Hero raises to $22.50, UTG raises to $161.20 (All-In), Hero calls $76.50 (All-In)

Total pot: $200.50 | Rake: $3

Results below:
Hero didn't show 5
spade.gif
, 5
club.gif
(full house, fives over twos).

UTG had A
club.gif
, A
diamond.gif
(full house, Aces over twos).

Outcome: UTG won $197.50

Villain played this hand horribly IMO, but is there any way I get away from this hand? There are literally only 2 hands that beat me, AA and 22, and there are tons of combo I crush where villain shoves this river (some 3x, all 36, and any flopped flush).

Hand 33:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

UTG ($180.95)
MP ($9.71)
CO ($45.55)
Hero (Button) ($132.92)
SB ($42.75)
BB ($246.28)

Preflop: Hero is Button with
jh.gif
kh.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to $3.50, SB calls $3, BB calls $2.50

Flop: ($10.50)
kc.gif
4c.gif
9d.gif
(3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $6.25, SB calls $6.25, BB raises to $24.31, Hero folds, SB raises to $39.25 (All-In), BB calls $14.94

I figured that one of the villains was on a flush draw, but I didn't love my hand and still had the possibility of a re-raise from the SB here --- so I folded. Is that giving up too easily, or a prudent fold?

Thanks all. -HooDoo

Last edited:
Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
31: QQ looks standard until the river, which I think is a fold. Villain just doesn't bluff enough with this line for us to call imo.

32: Line looks fine. Unfortunately I expect to see AA or 22 a fair bit, and I discount a lot of turned flushes since they probably bet the flop with their FD. But he limped UTG, so I expect 63s can play this way.

33: Without trying some ranges I'm not really sure. Like you should probably just be stoving some possibilities here, like seeing what your all in equity is like vs. two players with range X, or X and Y, or vs. one player. I'm certainly wary at best, but the fact that we are deep with BB makes me more apt to fold. Especially because with SB's flat he is getting better odds. In fact with your sizing he's getting like 3.5:1, so I expect him to be more likely to flat FD's unless it's a combo draw. Definitely bet bigger on the flop imo.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 31:

FWIW, I think folding turn is what I would do. You can't beat much. Also, I don't think the price is right to chase (because you are probably beat on the flop IMO).

I am not that good at HA, but I don't think you should call OTT. You can't beat anything otherthan a bluff. And furthermore, villain ccould have been semi-bluffing with the Ks OTF, in which case he paired up OTT.

Hand 32:

I know you said villain played his AA horribly... however, he flopped the world, and extracted every nickel possible. Sick cooler indeed. Nothing you can really do there. I don't think anyone should ever fold there with 5-5.

Hand 33:

Prudent fold IMO. HU it might be different. However, I think the fold is fine. If you call and get sucked into calling ship(s) from the villains, how would you feel about it? Probably not super confident when two villains ship and you call with TPGK.

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
31: Folding turn as Bean said. I dont think he continues bluffs on the turn and Ks is a very big part of his range along with Ax hands. Just seems like if we call turn we have to call most rivers, so i'd rather just fold.

32: Seems fine. Coolered

33: Sizing is good here. Definitely a fold though. SB I expect to have FD's maybe combo draws like QJcc or QTcc etc. and maybe some weaker Kx that we beat. Most of that range isn't in bad shape vs us. BB's range is prolly Ax FD's/KQ/AK/maybe 44/99 and some K9s. So folding seems to be our only option as I think we need to improve to at least 2 pair to be good here most of the time.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hand 31: fold turn.

hand 32: Never folding that. Unlucky really.

hand 33: folding here is fine as your probably behind. Notr much you can beat at this point but a bluff or a semi-bluff but since there are two villains, i autofold this. Versus one ,i might flat and re-evaluate on turn according to action.

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. It continues to be helpful.

FYI, in hand 31 the villain had 44 with no spades. Total fish, terrible play, but I folded my hand anyway. In hand 33, the BB had a flush draw and the SB had JT (no clubs) and shoved after the BB's re-raise. I was ahead and would have won this pot, but my hand was marginal enough given this action that folding seemed prudent.

Thanks.

-HooDoo

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. It continues to be helpful.

FYI, in hand 31 the villain had 44 with no spades. Total fish, terrible play, but I folded my hand anyway. In hand 33, the BB had a flush draw and the SB had JT (no clubs) and shoved after the BB's re-raise. I was ahead and would have won this pot, but my hand was marginal enough given this action that folding seemed prudent.

Thanks.

-HooDoo

yea unlucky for folding hand 33. But the spots to thin to be getting involved against two villains. Its just a good fold by default IMO. well played.

G

greedisgood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hoodookoo,

before I give my opinion on the hands please note I'm a recreational player myself :) I try to study a lot about poker so I hope my answer isn't complete nonsense(don't play your stakes). In addition, please feel free to take a look at my threads about the hands I'm dealing with :)

let's start:
hand 29
I don't think it's a bad hand if Villain dares to put his 125BB in a bluff. But I do think although the board is scary, it isn't really a good board to bluff because there is only 1 hand he can rep as a bluff(+22(+c/c, c/r flop?) and 99 untill river, they won't shove)
he hands you rep with your pf3bet include a lot of bluffcatchers. calling the donk seems like a normal play with AK but wouldn't he bet bigger on the turn to shake these high card hands off, and to know if you got a big pair so he doesn't shove on a river like this?
Still if he is a bad player who bluffs often enough for his full stack it isn't a bad play. if he calls with J6s he would call with a high card+9s and by hitting the 9 on the turn may have thought he had the best hand and do a thin value bet(but wouldn't you bet bigger to know where you stand+protection?) . Still the river shove is quite bizar, for a little bet he could've got a call from AK but think he would check as the pot is big enough and he wouldn't like a shove. (but fishes do tend to think I'll shove so he can't shove me as a bluff)

hand 30
question 1 : If you got a FD+2overs, a FD+gutshot, .. you get very nice pot odds to continue. I would bet 28+$, you still look like a queen who's defending and if he has enough draws he could do a c/r to create fold equity?
question 2 : I would bet the turn for value, still you look like trips/2pair with a good kicker and these hands still can get beaten if he hits his draw on the river.
question 3:
villain makes a dumb move. if he made a flush he should've known it's no good and to rep 9 or a Q+ he should do a big bet. still a rare spot to bluff as he can only make you fold your draws. I think a bet here is always for value and by betting for 1/6th of the pot it looks like a thin value bet which he's representing but he should've known it's no good as he gives you nice odds to be wrong quite often.

as a novice player I love feedback so comments are welcome:)

regards,

greedisgood

G

greedisgood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hoodookoo,

before I give my opinion on the hands please note I'm a recreational player myself :) I try to study a lot about poker so I hope my answer isn't complete nonsense(don't play your stakes). In addition, please feel free to take a look at my threads about the hands I'm dealing with :)

let's start:
hand 29
I don't think it's a bad hand if Villain dares to put his 125BB in a bluff. But I do think although the board is scary, it isn't really a good board to bluff because there is only 1 hand he can rep as a bluff(+22(+c/c, c/r flop?) and 99 untill river, they won't shove)
he hands you rep with your pf3bet include a lot of bluffcatchers. calling the donk seems like a normal play with AK but wouldn't he bet bigger on the turn to shake these high card hands off, and to know if you got a big pair so he doesn't shove on a river like this?
Still if he is a bad player who bluffs often enough for his full stack it isn't a bad play. if he calls with J6s he would call with a high card+9s and by hitting the 9 on the turn may have thought he had the best hand and do a thin value bet(but wouldn't you bet bigger to know where you stand+protection?) . Still the river shove is quite bizar, for a little bet he could've got a call from AK but think he would check as the pot is big enough and he wouldn't like a shove. (but fishes do tend to think I'll shove so he can't shove me as a bluff)

hand 30
question 1 : If you got a FD+2overs, a FD+gutshot, .. you get very nice pot odds to continue. I would bet 28+$, you still look like a queen who's defending and if he has enough draws he could do a c/r to create fold equity?
question 2 : I would bet the turn for value, still you look like trips/2pair with a good kicker and these hands still can get beaten if he hits his draw on the river.
question 3:
villain makes a dumb move. if he made a flush he should've known it's no good and to rep 9 or a Q+ he should do a big bet. still a rare spot to bluff as he can only make you fold your draws. I think a bet here is always for value and by betting for 1/6th of the pot it looks like a thin value bet which he's representing but he should've known it's no good as he gives you nice odds to be wrong quite often.

as a novice player I love feedback so comments are welcome:)

regards,

greedisgood

"I'm a recreational player myself :)"
* I mean I am a recreational player, I don't want to imply you are a recreational player as you look more like an experienced;)

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey hoodoo what's up bro? HU for rollz? lol jk

Real Money Poker - Real Money Casinos Top 10 Games