hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
25BI sounds std guys, I'm sure thats how zach feels about it too
obv a little sick lol. But std

Yeah I mean it happens. Like I said I still won money last month and I'm already up 10 bi this month. I think my worst downswing lifetime was something like 60 bi? And I know some pretty good winning players who have had close to 100. Especially as edges are getting smaller it's just one of the things you have to deal with if you're going to be successful long-term in this game. Just makes me laugh looking back I still remember a blog entry of a 10k hand sample where I won at like 5BB/100 at 10nl and never had more than a 3 bi downswing and posted to all my non-poker friends about "see how I have all these downswings but still long-term it goes up". Yep 10k hands is long-term ahahahaha.

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I mean it happens. Like I said I still won money last month and I'm already up 10 bi this month. I think my worst downswing lifetime was something like 60 bi? And I know some pretty good winning players who have had close to 100. Especially as edges are getting smaller it's just one of the things you have to deal with if you're going to be successful long-term in this game. Just makes me laugh looking back I still remember a blog entry of a 10k hand sample where I won at like 5BB/100 at 10nl and never had more than a 3 bi downswing and posted to all my non-poker friends about "see how I have all these downswings but still long-term it goes up". Yep 10k hands is long-term ahahahaha.

rofl. man i wish i knew how to play a less variance heavy game like you guys. i legit have a session where i lose at least 15 BI once per week, no joke. every week. i dont get how you guys can like, not swingcity. esp you zach i thought your graphs would be the closest to mine out of anyone here

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rofl. man i wish i knew how to play a less variance heavy game like you guys. i legit have a session where i lose at least 15 BI once per week, no joke. every week. i dont get how you guys can like, not swingcity. esp you zach i thought your graphs would be the closest to mine out of anyone here
Are you tilting when you're having these huge losing sessions and compounding the issue?

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you tilting when you're having these huge losing sessions and compounding the issue?

nah i legit dont think i tilt. like, ive been -30BI a ton of times, seen it and just sigh play on. i quit when i feel myself fuming. these swings just seem mega std for me? :S

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost never play deep (actually rathole zoom when I get to 200bb+) and I generally have a stop loss of 5bi so I haven't had any insane single sessions, however 15bi isn't that uncommon to lose in a few sessions and I had a stretch beginning of last month where it seemed I'd sit down win 5+ buy-ins every time. When I'm back at my desktop maybe I'll post my graph since I've been on Stars. I swing pretty hard.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nah i legit dont think i tilt. like, ive been -30BI a ton of times, seen it and just sigh play on. i quit when i feel myself fuming. these swings just seem mega std for me? :S

sick brags itt.

TheKid84

TheKid84

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In to lurk and cheer on

by the way... mind = blown with that river overbetting stuff... I vow I will give it a try next time I play with some competent players

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
25BI sounds std guys, I'm sure thats how zach feels about it too
obv a little sick lol. But std

How can 25 BI be standard? what do you mean standard? Ive never had a 25 buy in downswing in my entire life. I'm definitely not trolling here and im sure zach and you are much better than me by a million ,but how can 25 BI swings be that standard?

Maybe lowering aggression would be a better idea or change some of the lines we are following ?

Sure the Limits are more swingy but 25 BI's doesn't sound too standard IMO.

Unless if by standard you mean "not impossible to turn around"...

Cause if your playing at a limit and you lose 25 buy ins ,that means that your 2 levels below if your follwoing BRM of 25 buy ins.

Unless your playing with like 50 BI's which is crazy tight BRM.

just a thought here.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How can 25 BI be standard? what do you mean standard? Ive never had a 25 buy in downswing in my entire life. I'm definitely not trolling here and im sure zach and you are much better than me by a million ,but how can 25 BI swings be that standard?
It's standard. If you're not swinging more than a few BI at most then you're either not playing much volume or you're an uber-nit and not maximizing your earning potential.

I think my record is 30-35BI @ 50NL several years ago when I was 12-16 tabling on FT. I was getting in maybe 30k hands a month, which was massive volume for me, a part-time grinder. I had just come off a decent heater where I had won like 15 or 20 over a fairly short period, so it sounds worse than it really was, but it still hurt like hell and put me off cash games for awhile.

EDIT: And yeah, 50BI is not tight BRM. There are many who consider 100BI standard if you're depending on the game for most of your income.

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cos i push every edge braaaaaah

fyi, 50BI not that crazy tight when its your job. and i dont mean "i was stacking bitchez like it was my job", i mean like, if i wanna eat food and stuff...

play with this, youll see what we mean

http://pokerdope.com/poker-variance-calculator/

/derail

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

fyi, 50BI not that crazy tight when its your job. and i dont mean "i was stacking bitchez like it was my job", i mean like, if i wanna eat food and stuff...

/derail
For some reason that really made me laugh.
Really sick thread. I think I will start following it and hopefully I can learn some things.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Vinyl, not sure how many hands you've played lifetime, but anyone who plays poker at high enough stakes (ie ones where their true win-rate is < 5bb/100) is bound to have big swings. It's just the nature of the game - your standard deviation becomes outrageously large compared to your win-rate, so you can get massive swings.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'd have to be playing in games where your edge is monumental in order to avoid such swings. Swings are gonna happen, and they're never funny when they do. Just ask Dan. Oh wait, does it count as a downswing when your true WR is < 0?

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's standard. If you're not swinging more than a few BI at most then you're either not playing much volume or you're an uber-nit and not maximizing your earning potential.

I think my record is 30-35BI @ 50NL several years ago when I was 12-16 tabling on FT. I was getting in maybe 30k hands a month, which was massive volume for me, a part-time grinder. I had just come off a decent heater where I had won like 15 or 20 over a fairly short period, so it sounds worse than it really was, but it still hurt like hell and put me off cash games for awhile.

EDIT: And yeah, 50BI is not tight BRM. There are many who consider 100BI standard if you're depending on the game for most of your income.

I see what your saying. Thanks for reply.

/derail

LOL. Fair enough. thnks for link.

Vinyl, not sure how many hands you've played lifetime, but anyone who plays poker at high enough stakes (ie ones where their true win-rate is < 5bb/100) is bound to have big swings. It's just the nature of the game - your standard deviation becomes outrageously large compared to your win-rate, so you can get massive swings.

I've played my fair share but microballing so my swings are usually lower (10ish would be disturbing). Thnks for reply

Sorry for derail/OP Great thread BTW.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You'd have to be playing in games where your edge is monumental in order to avoid such swings. Swings are gonna happen, and they're never funny when they do. Just ask Dan. Oh wait, does it count as a downswing when your true WR is < 0?

Feel the burrrrrrrn

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

<3

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

this is just nasty

poty

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is ducky even active? Like is even going to see it? :D

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gl Zach. 25 days a month is easy once you get used to it. I've played that many each month this year. Slightly less hours though. Obvious advice is to get ahead of the chase early, and as added incentive i will throw $100 at you if you are at 600kvpps by the end of June

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
half-BI ftw.

edit: though tbf I have no idea how much 600k vpp's really is.

Last edited:
S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
match it then bru

Everyone knows money won off a friend is infinitly sweeter and more valuable than money won in poker

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it's more than half a buy in to me!!! :D

But also, touche. :)

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol if I was gonna be that far ahead I should shoot for 1.25mil vpps on the year. Doubt that'll be possible but thanks.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10k vpps away from making nova. Also this sunday is upped guarantees sunday so prob gonna do this mtt schedule:

8:00 - 109 kickoff
11:00 - 215 warmup
12:00 - 22 bigger 22
13:00 - 109 bigger 109
14:30 - 215 million
15:00 - 55 bigger 55
16:00 - 162 bigger 162

Someone convince me not to do it before I hate life at the end of Sunday.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what country are you in zach?

Organize a Home Poker Game